Bedroom bass cab. 8" or 10"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I am about to force myself to build or buy a new bass cab (Selling current setup). I really want to build a small lower watt single speaker cab that will be well rounded for 4 and 5 string basses. I will at first anyway be running it off my Bugera V22 guitar amp. It is a 20 watt all tube amp. I have been leaning towards an 8" but wanted to know if you think it will fall short or not? This will not be built for gigging or anything like that. Bedroom only and hopefully like it enough to mic it for recording. I know most 8's want go very low but I am not needing earth shaking bass but does anyone know if I do build my own cab and if I added one of those bass radiators to it (this is a motor-less speaker) and helps move air. Would this help or hurt sound quality? Give me your thoughts. Trying to clean up my setup to hopefully have one rig for guitar and bass. I can even run 2 cabs off this amp and thought about doing that as the 12" guitar speaker sounds nice with my bass but as you can expect has no real bass coming from it.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Gives us a rough estimate of size and we'll be able to help a little more.

3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Azle, Texas
    I think an 8", particularly if you are going to play a 5er through it, may not make you happy.
    10 or 12 would be better IMHO.

Munjibunga likes this.
  4. Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    thebassbuilder likes this.
  5. Either works, but in terms of bass specific drivers it's easier to find a 10" than an 8". They do make some pa drivers that would absolutely work though.

Also, @CL400Peavey has a great driver right there.

morgan138 likes this.
  6. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    It will be a build so the size is not an issue but do want to keep it as small as possible. If I could have it the way I want it, the cab would have the same width as the Bugera 22" wide. This way it could sit under it and have a killer little stack.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    In my book, the best bedroom speaker to be found is the barefaced one10. It's tiny, it sounds rich, can handle the low B on your fivestring and besides, can do a lot more than bedroom. At home i run it through a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 head set at 5W, which has a wonderful sound for bass.

I tried a lot of different things and my main problem with most cabs was that as soon as you go below the low G, they just fart out and drop in volume. When i'm practicing, i don't like my small rig doing things that my big rig won't.

thebassbuilder and Plutonium244 like this.
  8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Great driver indeed!

9. Then I would look at a pair of 8's, 10's, or a 15.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Matching the head to the cabinet makes sense and a good decision. And being only 20watts and a home gig with hopes of being able to mic it for recording. A 12" or a 15" would work well.

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    For my purposes, just using a standard 112 that can also handle light gig duty is more practical. YMMV

JoeWPgh, lomo, MobileHolmes and 2 others like this.
  12. snarebear

snarebear Guest

Apr 19, 2012
    This

13. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    (Without getting into any specific designs) I think you're getting past the point of diminishing returns here, size-wise. Is a 1x8" going to save you a noticeable amount of space over a 1x10", given that there'll probably be some tradeoffs?

I'd go with a 1x12" or a small 2x10", unless you had some particular 1x10 in mind. The footprint isn't gonna be much bigger (again, assuming you're not playing room tetris where every cubic inch counts) and you'll have better luck getting decent low end. Right now I have a Mesa TL-806 and an Ampeg 210AV and I think the Mesa actually has less bass rolloff.

14. Just got an BA 108 for my apartment. Honestly the 8 is fine even in low tuning because I can't turn up that much. The big selling point for me though was the kickback design. For bedroom playing I'll take the angle over watts any day!

15. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Yeah, that's what I did. I bought a GK neo 112 both for around the house and particularly for playing out when I don't need ear bleeding volumes.

bucephylus likes this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I can't see a reason why the amp and cab have to match if they are only being played at home.

I use my Barefaced One10 if I play at home. A big-rig tone at low volume and in a tiny cab.

thebassbuilder and Plutonium244 like this.
  17. Badwater

Badwater Guest

Jan 12, 2017
    For a bedroom size studio, I think acoustic treatment will help with tone. According to acoustic designers, small rooms are the hardest to get good sound because the bass' low slow frequency lingers and builds up in areas of the room creating a muddy or phased out sound. Thus, a large bass speaker system in a small room is worst option. The cheapest way to get a good bass sound it use a small bass amp with good tone. I use a Warwick BC20, it's very small, 8" driver, and hi frequency driver in a deep double bass reflex cabinet. DI would be the best way to record in a small room without acoustic treatment. I've recorded running my bass through a Excelsior guitar amp (13 watt tube, 15" speaker) it had some meaty sound but no where as tight and low as the BC20. Thus, the DI signal was used. Nevertheless, if you're going to build a good sounding bass cabinet, there are some designs online that will help you optimize your cabinet with the size of the room you're using. And, IMO going with a smaller cabinet and speaker is your best option. Often people think small practice amps sound like crap, and don't have the low frequency. And that's true depending on the cabinet design. Check out the Warwick BC20 or BC40, they're hifi bass guitar amps.

18. 5544

5544 Guest

Dec 1, 2015
    I'm using an EBS Classic Session 30 with a 4 & 5 string. I use the DI and plug that straight into my computer.

Before you spend a fortune on an amp, remember the purpose of it - bedroom use. If you want better tone while recording, use a DI pedal.

Badwater likes this.
  19. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Even in small rooms, I prefer the sound from a lot of cone area. I just use the volume control. I use either a 310 or a 212 in one room that is only about 12 x 12 ft.

wagdog likes this.
  20. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Why all you got to throw a wrench in my plans, LOL! With my current bass rig being a GK MB210, I must say I am loving the 10's and was thinking just one would be plenty and it seems with the power level I am working with currently, that one speaker is all I could use with a 10" being the max. I do agree that a 12" or 15" may offer better low end (depending on specs of speaker) but do want to keep as compact as possible. What Hz should I look for too help cover an open B string?