1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 String for Less than $600 for Slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John123z, Jun 2, 2007.

1. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    O.K. guys, it's time to add another bass. What do you suggest for $600 or less. I would like a 5 string for slap and it would be used with both tube and SS amps.

Thanks,

John

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    There are a few: used L-2500 Tribute, prolly won't find a US model for under 600. Used PV Cirrus, should be 600 or close. Used 55-01. Maybe that new Cort GB 75??

Lee

3. Either a used Lakland 55-01 or an MTD Kingston Artist.

4. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    Yamaha TRB5. Best slap for that amount!

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Musicians friend has the MTD Kingston Heir 5 for $399.99

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MTD-Kingston-Heir-5String-Bass-?sku=511558

Otherwise-a used Lakland Skyline 55-02 if you're lucky.

Going even cheaper-if you can find one that feels right, an OLP Ray5 copy. A general comment on Ray5 style basses [including the EB ones], some people feel the string spacing is too tight to slap on. I think it's fine, but i also don't slap much.

6. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Thanks guys. Definitely some things I hadn't considered.

John

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Used 55-01 would be under $600.

I bought a used 55-02 for about $650USD recently and my EBMM and Fender 4 strings haven't been out of their cases since.

8. A used Lakland 55-01 would be the best. If you can't find one, the an MTD Kingston Artist or Heir.

9. G&L Tributes are sweet. Any of the better SR series Ibanez basses are pretty sweet too, but they're a little tight depending on your preferences. Also, the Carvin B-5 is nice if you can find one used.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021