Best bass amplifier for the bedroom playing and recording?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hipermegalonico, Aug 3, 2020.

1. RabidMusic

RabidMusic

Jan 29, 2012
    Kentucky
    Rumble 40 or a used BA-112 or BA-115. Also consider the Line 6 Pod Go.

RobRWA123 and JC900 like this.
  2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use a Rolls headphone monitor and listen through cans. It's mounted to the underside of my pedalboard and can run off a OneSpot daisy chain. I plan on adding a preamp before it and then using one output to the monitor and another into a power amp.

JC900 likes this.
  3. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Studio 40 will be perfect for what you describe. Not only is it the perfect all-in one solution for recording, with all the amp models and effects you can desire and direct USB output, it’s also a very capable practice amp into the bargain, and sounds great to boot. It’s possible to achieve the same thing with other set-ups, but it will be much more complicated, and possibly more expensive as well.

JC900, BarfanyShart and garp like this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I cannot argue with the Rumble 40 as a good choice.

If you're willing to consider used, the Fender Bassman 150 combo (discontinued) is a great little amp. I bought one as a practice amp, and liked it so much that I bought a second one, and have gigged both as a "mini stack."

JC900 likes this.
  5. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Waterloo, ON Canada
    If I were you and I had no plans on jamming or playing live, i would invest in a few studio essentials. A nice DI, either headphones or monitors, and a nice interface. I have a recording setup in my den and I have recently been thinking of adding a rack preamp into the signal chain. Some thing like maybe the sansamp geddy lee preamp.

JC900 likes this.
  6. I think the Rumble 40 is a fine amp. In my opinion, it sounds better than a lot of practice amps I've tried that cost $100-$200 more. Been using mine for a few months now and I'm very happy with it.

JC900 likes this.
  7. I used to have one of these and I very much regret selling it :( they are great little amps.

JC900 likes this.
  8. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    If you really want to know the “best”, if I had carte blanche for a bedroom amp, I think I would probably go with an Ampeg PF20 and a Barefaced 110.

JC900 and Lovep like this.
  9. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    An Ampeg PF20-T or PF50-T are great for home use playing and recording as there is no need for a cabinet when you can use the transformer out on one of those little beauties.Great Ampeg tone and the recordings sounds top notch.

JC900 and Lovep like this.
  10. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Love the Rumble - I have one. Advise you go cheap- whether Rumble or whatever. No need to overspend for a practice amp. Almost any amp from a brand you've heard of will give you a good bass sound assuming it works properly. Guitar amps are much different- wider spectrum of sounds depending on what amp you get. Bass amps tonally differ from each other but much less so than guitar amps do.

JC900 likes this.
  11. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I agree with this. If your intention is recording you don't really need an amp as such however I can understand the need to be able to just practice without having to hook up the recording gear so the Fender Studio would be a good option as you can use it as in interface itself if i'm not mistaken.

If you play a bit of guitar as well one of these would be a very good practice amp. I'd be interested to hear from bass players if it works well for the lower registers but reviews from guitarists are that these are a fantastic little unit. Also great for learning songs!

JC900 and seamonkey like this.
  12. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    I cant speak for the rumble 40 but my son got a rumble 15 with his squire bass starter kit and i was very displeased with its performance. I was very surprised since i really like fender bassman amps and cabs.
    We got him an Ampeg BA110 and it sounds pretty good. The rumble just sits and even sounds bad using the aux to play music through. Could be defective not sure but i dont know if would get another fender rumble.

RobRWA123 and JC900 like this.
  13. hangnail

hangnail

Dec 21, 2019
    I have both a Rumble 40 and an Ampeg BA-108. Can't go wrong with either.
    Bedroom amps are cheap and plentiful on the used market, lots of choices.

JC900 likes this.
  14. At home I go bass > preamp pedal > DI into USB mixer > PC > active Nearfield monitors.

Preamp/DI units don't have to be expensive.The Behringer BDI12 ,ignore the price tad it's a great bit of kit. Slightly more are the Eden WTDI and the Hartke units. USB mixers are reasonable, I've an old Alesis 8 track and a Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB. The Behringer takes up much less room,had 5 years of hassle free use from it :thumbsup:

This has been my set up for years. Play along with backing tracks,recording,practise etc. It does it all.

Headphones that have stood me in good stead are Superlux HD 681's, another affordable quality bit of kit.

JC900 likes this.
  15. RabidMusic

RabidMusic

Jan 29, 2012
    Kentucky
    It sounds pretty good until you get to the low notes. Open low E is very weak. If you play guitar it is worth it. If not, I would go with the Rumble 40.

JC900 and BAG like this.
  16. I can only speak to what I think a good bedroom practice amp may be. My pjb double four sounds pretty awesome. But at 480 bucks it is steep considering all the other amps you could get for that kind of money. Not to mention recording gear.

JC900 and johnnylighton like this.
  17. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    The last "studio" I recorded in provided a Fender Rumble 40 amp and the sound was very good. I say "studio" in quotes because it was somebody's living room that has been converted into a recording studio.

JC900 and Bboopbennie like this.
  18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The best bass amp for home practice and recording is the new Archetype: Cory Wong plug-in from Neural DSP.

Seriously, I’ve already done remote session work with it.

It’s going to sound exponentially better (and be significantly more versatile) than buying a cheap amp and mic, and is also less expensive.

It’s also available to try completely free for two weeks on their website :cool:

JC900 and tlite like this.
  19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Another vote for the rumble studio 40. So much variety in a small package. Perfect for home recording imo.

REV and JC900 like this.
  20. Two notes cab m bruhhhh

You gonna be at bedroom levels may as well use headphones and have an amazing recording tone :smug:

JC900 likes this.