best bassists today

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by P-Nutflea311, Oct 2, 2000.

1. P-Nutflea311

P-Nutflea311 Guest

Oct 2, 2000
    Here are the top three bassists currently

1.Flea(of course)
    2.Les Claypool
    3.P-Nut

2. the Qintar

the Qintar Guest

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    its pretty subjective, i dont think you should really state that like its a fact, besides, we all know mike watts much better than those

3. MJB

MJB Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    In my book I'd say Jack Bruce and John Entwistle. As far as "current" they were both on tour this past summer. I missed the WHO but I saw Jack in Milwaukee and yessir he still has monster chops.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Supporting Member

East
    Patitucci
    Clarke

5. gruffpuppy

gruffpuppy Guest

Aug 15, 2000
    In your basement.
    tony levin
    mike watt
    mick karn

6. Scottzo

Scottzo Guest

Jan 20, 2000
    I havn't seen Victor Wooten mentioned. He is most likely the best bassist recording today.

Don't believe...Check out the new Flecktones CD Outbound...outstanding.

7. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    me! ;)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So where is your cave located? :D

9. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hahaha!!! Anyone of you ever heard Stu Hamm play??? NOT? Go get his instruction videos and his latest album right away.
    I think you would change your opinion rightaway."Outbound" is his album called by the way... Flea's style will seem sloppy and careless when you compere the two. I agree that Les Claypool is serious inspiration source for all modern bassists. ummm By the way I like flea, I think he's cool and all that. But Stu is just the best.

[Edited by maxoges on 10-08-2000 at 09:13 PM]

10. Well, as I always say...

11. Cornbread

Cornbread Guest

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Mike Gordon is pretty good....

12. Christian McBride. I think he's a serious challenger to Patitucci as the "best" doubler out there today. I've been lucky enough to witness his prowess on both the acoustic and electric.. he's a master at both. Scary. I'm finally getting his new CD tonight and I can hardly wait!

13. For technical and musical abilities, Victor Wooten is absolutely the greatest electric bassist out there today. (in my book :)) He'll say it's Oteil, but I don't think there's anything Vic can't do.

For hard work and reliability, Will Lee. Every night, year in and year out, he lays down solid, tasty, meodic grooves for god knows how many different artists. Watch Letterman sometime. Every artist the CBS Orchestra backs looks at Will for cues or just grins and nods to him in approval. He makes everyone sound fantastic. That to me is the mark of a great bassist.

14. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever Guest

Aug 2, 2005
    1. Cliff Burton of MetallicA, such a thrashin' sound
    2. Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, so talented, the soul of Maiden
    3. Flea, the slap bass God

All 3 really influence me as bassist. Best song to expierience Cliff Burton is Pulling Teeth by MetallicA. Best song to expierience Steve Harris is Blood On The World's Hands by Iron Maiden. Best song to expierience Flea is Coffee Shop by Red Hot Chili Peppers, but really most of their songs show off Flea's awesome talent.

15. The_Ryst

The_Ryst Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    Goldsboro / Raleigh NC
    Hahahahah hahahahahha hahahahah Flea? Best bassist ever? ahhahahah hahahahha hahahha *gasp*

Top Dogs:
    Patitucci
    Stu Hamm
    Billy SHeehan
    Stanley Clark

16. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I dunno but it sure gets the local alternative station. :cool:

17. Rob Trujillio (metal)
    Miller or Wooten (jazz etc.)
    Zender (funky stuff)

IMO of course.

Edit: WAIT!! I FORGOT! Chris Squire people? One of the best rock bassists ever IMHO. He has like, 6 songs in the top 200 rock bass songs of all time, thats a fair effort. Geddy Lee and John Myung did well too!

18. Ben Vail

Ben Vail Guest

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Just to name a few... ... of the popular names ...

Stanley Clarke...
    Victor Wooten...
    Marcus Miller...
    John Pattituci...
    and the man who is still alive in music...the most influencial bass player of all time...
    ....Jaco

Flea the best bassist today? no.

19. Vysous

Vysous Guest

Mar 29, 2005
    Easy>

John Entwistle - he most influenced me.... great musician, great person.... he passed out already.... :crying: :crying:

Jaco Pastorius - immortal bass demon, his bass on Black Market will be never forgotten.....

Marcus Miller - great musician, great bassist, great person... I like him even as soloist, even as Davis bassist.... yeah.... and all that guys in his band are cool, especially Dean Brown... he's the man! and really nice guy.....

20. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Bill Dickens - I'm not sure if he's human. :eyebrow: