Best Precision Bass for me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickalan620, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I need some help on picking a new bass. I am 100% sure it will be a precision bass, but there are a lot of precision basses/copys out there. I know it's kind of general but what is the best real/copy precision bass that is of preety good quality and is under 1000 dollars?

2. vacman

vacman Guest

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I have been happy with my MIM P-bass. It took me a long time to find it as QC at Fender IMHO is lame at best. If I was a man of many means however I would call Mike Lull up and have him make me a P-bass. BTW, congrats on deciding on a P-bass. :bassist:

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This is the absolute best possibe P bass on the whole entire planet.... :)

4th_of_July_2004_012.jpg

.....but YYMV. :)

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

This is a quality bass, Nino broght it to the NY Get Together. It just might be something to consider.

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The only MIA's I like are the Reissues and those are about $1300 new, so that rules those out (you did say *new* didn't you?).
    I ordered a new CIJ Precision from Ishibashi back in November 2002 which turned out to be every bit as good as any Fender I have ever played and the total cost after shipping was $582, therefore I would recommend a Japanese Precision. But don't skimp out and get their cheaper model Precision, spend the extra money and get their top-of-the-line model that comes with an Alder body an USA pickups.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Until you have a chance to play this one, and then your opinion changes! :D

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I bought a like-new Am. Standard P-Bass off of Ebay, and replaced the stock pickup with a Nordstrand NP4. It plays and sounds great IMHO. It cost me all told under $600.00.

Just an idea. -A.P.

8. Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special
    [​IMG]

These go for under $600. Personally if I were to own/play a Precision, I'd insist on the J pickup @ the bridge.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    :bassist: :D

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought a used 62 Reissue at Bass NW several months ago for $899.

11. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    G&L SB-2 !!! does the "P" thang better than the "P" IMHO. Top notch quality and is right in your price range.
    [​IMG]

12. I own the 2 best ever already :smug:

1.jpg

51s-05.jpg

13. r379

r379 Guest

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I own a '62 reissue P that I bought used and am more than pleased with it. Look around and you can find them in very good condition for less than your budget.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very Cool :bassist: , did you go with the chambered option?.

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    [​IMG]

51s-05.jpg

I thought these basses were well over $1000.

I can't wait to eventually try the white one. :)

16. thanks! Nope, solid hunk of Swamp Ash. It's the tone wood I prefer.

Ooops :p there I go post the picts before I actually read the whole post :cool:

I'm pissed I couldn't make it to the NYC thang! We'll hook up one of these days! I'm still looking to try out some of them basses you got going.... great bang for the buck!

Coop: That G&L is Hot!

17. I would look at a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub.

18. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I just got me an american standard S-1 p-bass,I took of the button type (s-1 switch)and put a stock barrel knob and its great,it has a maple neck/frett-board string through bridge and anodized gold p-gaurd.
    Right now Fender is having a rebate sale at most music stores,you get 50.00$ off at the store and another 50.00$ in the mail,so for 675.00$ I got me an american fender p-bass.
    Another option is the fender japan web-site like was said earlier,they are great basses and theres many to chose from,check Ebay as well theres a few dealers in japan offering basses not avalible to us over here.
    And then theres the H.W.1 bass,add some hip-shot tuners and a BAD A$$ bridge and you got a great bass for under 700.00$,I have a H.W.1 jazz and it rivals ANY bass under 1000.00$(and even some over that :bassist: )
    Go visit a few different stores and check them out for yourself,only you know what you are looking for,your one the right path with the level of quality,now its a question of your taste in a perticular bass.
    P.S >you mite want to check out an earlier model american P/J bass from the california shop,I love my japanese jazz special and the american version is just as versitile,and theres a new type of Aerodyne on Ebay,P+J p/ups,gray or red body w/matching h/stock,chrome top-hat knobs and black p/gaurd and chrome control cover,they are mucho nice and most important sound/play good(and not many people own one)
    Have fun :hyper:

19. basicallybass

basicallybass Guest

Sep 23, 2003
    South Florida
    I'll second that motion. Fine instrument. Real nice neck.