Boss RC20XL help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rando McNally, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Rando McNally

Rando McNally Guest

May 21, 2008
    When I'm playing live, I begin with an empty phrase. The looper seems to assume that you are starting with a pre-recorded phrase, and that's not how I'm doing it. I'm starting from scratch.

Recording the initial phrase is just as tedious as it possibly could be (or do I not understand this thing?). Here's how I've been doing it.

Start out just plain playing bass with the band. after a bit I'll start tapping in my tempo. Then I tap the record pedal to get the tempo going. If we're in 4/4 time I'll tap the tempo from 2 til 3, and press record on the 4 so that is actually begins recording on the next 1. In other words, there is a one measure delay from the time I hit record and when the unit starts recording when starting from a blank patch.

THEN I have to bend over and press "SAVE/WRITE" in order to keep using it.

Now, this does not seem right at all, but I just can't figure out how to get it to let me use this live, from a blank phrase, tap my tempo in, then press record and have the thing start recording when I hit the record switch.

The only thing I've been able to do to get around this is to pre-record each phrase empty. But then I'm left with a pre-determined phrase length.

I can't believe that I can't get this to do what seems to be the simplest thing a looping pedal with a tap tempo feature should be able to do: program a tempo and start looping on the fly.

does the unit lack this functionality or am I missing something?

2. twisty4678

twisty4678 Guest

Apr 30, 2007
    Western New York, USA
    i'm not sure how to use it, but i know my brother uses his on the fly, and even add's phrases over it while playing. So it is very possible.

3. I've only got the RC-2, so I can't comment on exactly how the RC-20XL works but I'm pretty sure it's got a tap-tempo function as well. I think you're in the wrong mode. When I want to start recording something, I just hit the button and start recording - no tempo setting beforehand at all. Then when I'm done with the phrase I hit the button again and it goes straight back to the beginning of the phrase, and I can add more layers more or less straight away.

So have a read of the manual, you should take it out of the tap tempo mode.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Why are you recording an empty track? Just record your loop and quantize as you go.

No need to record a blank track.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Does hitting 'rec/play' again to start it playing when you stop not work?

6. Rando McNally

Rando McNally Guest

May 21, 2008
    It starts looping on it's own once I complete a loop.

7. Rando McNally

Rando McNally Guest

May 21, 2008
    I want to keep it in Tap Temp mode. This is not for a solo performance. This is with a band. THUS, it is very helpful to have the ability to adjust the tempo. If I can tap in the tempo we're playing at I can loop and then keep my loops in sync with the band by adjusting the tempo as we go.

I can do all of this when I'm solo, cos I don't have to keep in time with others, I let my loop establish the tempo. With the band, I want to make little corrections as we go or it can get sloppy.

I really just need to get it to record as soon as I hit the record switch, and lose that 1 measure delay. Is that a setting I can shut off? I can't find any info about this delayed recording feature.

8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    If you want to lose the 1-measure delay, then don't use the tap tempo. Otherwise start it a measure earlier.

And no, you can't tap tempo adjust an unsaved loop. You either need to pre-record it or get the band to play to your loop.

9. Rando McNally

Rando McNally Guest

May 21, 2008
    Ahh. Really? That's what I was afraid of. Is there a looper out there that can do what I want to do: enter a tempo with my foot, record when I hit the record button, then let me add layers to it, and keep dialing in the tempo as we go.

I want to lose the one measure delay, and not have to bend over and hit save/write (which also stops the loop. This is the worst part for me).

I suppose I could just record 4 measures of nothing on each phrase, but then if I want something that is only 2 or 3, or maybe 8 or 16 measures long I'm out of luck.

What about the Digitech or Line 6 looper?