Cheap powered studio monitors suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Inconnu, Feb 20, 2014.

1. I'm thinking maybe around 200$, if possible. The smaller the better, but that would be able to have some bass response without farting out. I saw the Alesis Elevate 5 that seem nice in terms of specs. Any idea?

2. frozenbolt

frozenbolt Guest

Jan 28, 2013
    Shevegas
    I use the Behringer Eurolive 1220's for both my karaoke shows and for band performances. 125 W, 12" speaker with horn, good controls and they come with a feedback control loop, but I rarely use that. They're a nice wedge and you can daisy-chain them with either 1/4" or XLR cables.

I actually also use one for my practice amp. It's pissed the neighbors off a few times, so it'll thump pretty good, due to the 12" speaker in it. :)

Oh yeah, they used to be around 200 bucks, but they've finally topped that price. You can bump up to the 1320's, that check in at 300W if you need more juice.

Rock on,
    'Bolt

3. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    Madison WI
    i love my rokit 8s. a bit more than $200, but well worth it IMO. great full frequency response (including awesome bass). i've heard that anything smaller than the 8s will probably require a separate subwoofer for full response.

4. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I have been using M-Audio BX5A s for a while now and they have been great with my little laptop studio. The new version is BX5 D2, close to your price and very good.

5. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Oct 1, 2012
    London UK
    +1 on the KRK Rokit 8's. very very good if you can raise a little extra cash. great bass response, fairly flat sound but really good for mixing on. I cant think of a better entry level set of studio monitors. except maybe those white coned yamahas but i think they stopped making them

6. Lindsey

Lindsey

Nov 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like my Rokit 5s. With proper placement relative to your listening position (the sound field is pretty directional) the bass response is very good. I have them at my workstation at about ear level and the imaging is excellent.

7. Thanks for your replies. I'll look into the BX5a

Anybody heard the Alesis Elevate 5? Cheap, seem too cheap for 5 inch speakers, and I can't seem to find much reviews...

Other question, between quality computer speakers (say Bose) and cheap monitors, which would give a better result?

8. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you can plan on adding a small powered sub a little later down the road .. ?!

9. Lindsey

Lindsey

Nov 8, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    All depends on what you need them for. If you are going to record, I'd use monitors (and a good set of earphones) to mix. If you just want general purpose to listen to music, videos etc. from your computer there could be better choices for filling a room with sound, and at a lower price point.

10. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I use the BX5A as well, pretty good for the price, and nice and loud.