Chico Craigslist FTW

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chinguschild, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey, he has photographic evidence of the *chick draw* :)

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild Guest

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Haha. I dont know. The professional gear gets me every time. Its a tambourine. lol

3. It's not 'just' a tamborine...it's a professionally assembled/tuned portable percussive instrument, capable of sitting quite nicely in any mix, and yet still be brought forward for those ever-popular solo wars between the percussivist and the band manager's stoned nephew on his Moog Kazoo (which is what really pulls the chicks...).

- edit - my fiance just saw the ad and wants to have his baby...she said that there's something about a tamborinist that just does it for her...

4. Chinguschild

Chinguschild Guest

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I think I will stay with bass. lol

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Man, people laugh at tambourine, but there was this dude at a church I attended for a few months that was a virtuoso on the tambourine. Laugh if you want, but he did rolls, flams, rim shots, and this wild move where he would slap the head alternately with all of his fingers and thumb that had to be heard and seen to be believed. I am serious. This guy was to tambourine as Jaco was to bass. Name was Jeff Lunsford, and he could play!

6. He forgot to mention that he totally ROCKS the headband bandana!:hyper:

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Oh man, so I guess all of the rest of us guys picked up the wrong instrument in hopes of being able to attract the girls. Who would've 'thunk' it?:rolleyes:

8. Chinguschild

Chinguschild Guest

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    w3rd

9. There used to be a street performer near Fisherman's Wharf (San Francisco) who was similarly talented - she could almost pull off the drum solo from 'Inagaddadavida' with two tambourines and a cowbell. Somehow, and as much as it's not a good thing to judge by appearance or perception, I just don't see this guy as being in the same category.

10. embellisher

I'm sure he's not.:smug: I was just irritated at the people dissing an instrument that they probably don't even understand.

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  12. Chinguschild

Chinguschild Guest

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I only ragged on the guy cause of his attitude. Be a singer, guitar player, drummer, or bassist alike. "Must have Sh-- together, I bring the chicks, Blah blah blah" doesnt rub me the right way.

BUT on another note your absolutely correct. I dont understand the instrument. I dont truly understand the instrument I play (bass). So before everybody thinks im just a no good hater take into consideration that it was more the guys attitude than instrument im worried about.

13. embellisher

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.

Jeff was stylistically most like this guy:

But he also used elements similar to what the other two cats are using. I have no idea where he got it, other than the fact his dad was a talented multi instrumentalist. He didn't listen to latin or jazz music. But he showed up at church, and gave that tambourine a workout every time. The first time I saw him play I freaked out. I had never seen anybody really play a tambourine before that.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I don't know why I didn't think of Glen Velez on my original thread.
    Holy mother of groove...

Glen is one bad mofo on all kinds of frame drums.