Clatter's 'Blinded By Vision'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by xush, Oct 23, 2003.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Received the new Clatter CD from Amy and Joe and thought I should post some thoughts on it. The first thing that struck me was that I was able to listen to it repeatedly, which is something I rarely do. 3 times through when I got it, I think that's a record for me. It's very tuneful and listenable. Plenty of variety, which may not be what you'd expect from a 2 pc. This is well-executed material.

I enjoyed Amy's harmony vox a LOT. Very nice work! And the bass tone is heavy- looks like you got your $'s worth.

Joe's got a solid tone too, and his parts are inventive and keep things moving along nicely.
    These guys have a really big sound, you have to admire being able to pull this off with just 2 members.

I REALLY am enjoying this CD. Even the packaging was doing by Clatter; the digipak layout & photos gives a nice glimpse of the people behind the music. I'm gratified to see 2 people making the music they want to on their own terms, and making progress at getting it heard. I wish you guys much success, and look forward to seeing you do your thing in person!

clatter website

2. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Wow, thanks, xush!! What a great way to start the day by reading your post! After long travel days on tour and iffy shows here and there, it is such a shot in the arm to read that. Makes me want to run right out to the studio and play!!

It's always gratifying to hear when people enjoy something you've created, and doubly so when it comes from peers whose work you admire. Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review -- it means a lot to us!

Amy

3. monark110

monark110 Guest

Oct 27, 2003
    illinois
    this is a very good cd.
    i highly recommend it!

4. JabberWockey

JabberWockey Guest

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas
    yeah i totally agree, that cd is amazing. im actually listening to it right now (again). i want to learn every friggin song on here. i wish theyd come to vegas and play, and if they did, i suck for not knowing or going. and i just saw rush on saturday (the 17th) and i was half hoping clatter would open for them. but then i saw the star-man thing on neils drum set and my hopes fluttered away, laughing and mocking me. :spit: i dont know why you didnt open for them :confused: . ill think about this one. oh hey, my clatter cd just started over again, yay. :hyper:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I really want to get this, but then again, I really want money. :(

Someday it will be mine.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The clips I've heard sound really cool. Plus she plays a Rick, and that's always worth a couple of cool points in my book. :cool:

7. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Wow, I can't even imagine how cool it would be to open for Rush!!! What a dream come true that would be!!! Ah, well, maybe someday....

I'm so glad you're enjoying the CD! We're in Nashville right now working on our live concert DVD. We finished mixing the audio and are now editing video. It's spectacular (if I may say so)!!! I can't wait till it's all finished! I'll try to post a snippet online this weekend.

8. JabberWockey

JabberWockey Guest

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Hey, I was wondering what language 'Nevsky Prospekt' is in. I try to sing along, but it makes me sound like an idiot. "bah-doo-ee-ka-shoo-mar-eee-naah-borre", or something like that.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's in Russian. Nevsky Prospekt is the main street in St Petersburg.

I didn't know any of this, but one of my wife's degrees is in Russian and she came in while I was playing the cd and this song was on.

She hasn't used her degree in a while, but she could translate a good bit of it. It's a song with someone describing their day: riding on the train, going to a cafe etc.

As part of her degree, my wife spent six months living in Russia and she's been to some of the places (the book shop I think) mentioned in the song,

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Central Texas
    I've had it in constant rotation since it arrived... I agree, very listenable.

11. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    david, that's so cool! Very few people ever know what I'm singing about, so it's fun when someone understands it! Where and when did your wife get her degree? I got my Russian degree at the U. of Kansas in 1989 and studied in St. Pete (then Leningrad) in 1988. The song is sort of a day-in-the-life there. Wouldn't it be crazy if our paths crossed?

Glad you're likin' it, HeavyDuty! :)

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Amy,
    she went to UW Madison, graduated with double honors in Russian and International Relations in '94. She did this while also working 40 hours per week to put herself through.

I have the utmost admiration for the effort and dedication this took from her. On the down side, she didn't exactly get to party much!

13. Agree one just about everything posted thusfar - BBV was one disc in an order of three that blew me away so much it changed my musicial shopping from "waiting for the good stuff to land in my lap" to "getting off my butt and actively searching them out." :D

Guit...wha?!? :smug: