considering 1x10, 1x12 or 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm starting over after selling my gear. i couldn't decide what amplification to get so got a fender bronco 40 to tide me over, but it's time to upgrade from there. got a carvin BX250, but when i plugged it into my old 15" carvin combo, even turned waaay down (i mean, whisper quiet) it woke up my husband and the neighbors, which despite dialing in a rich sound, the bronco with its 10" speaker didn't do. unfortunately while the bronco sounds great turned way down, i'm not happy with it when turned up to jam at even an at-home level when playing with just a guitar.

since i'm not playing out at this point, i'm thinking of getting something that doesn't have much boom for now, then adding another cab later (and possibly a louder head). i'm gonna be on a budget for this one that can maybe stretch to $450 max. the 10" speaker in the bronco would actually be fine, but some of the 10" cabs i've tried farted out at even fairly low levels, and i would like what i get to sound good.

the thing is, the rig i played for years was an 18" with a 2x10 for a little more volume and highs. my combo has a 15" speaker. i haven't played through a single 10", 12" or 2x10" cab in a home setting, so i'm not sure which cabs/sizes might sound good with nice bass without traveling through the walls and disturbing sleepers when turned way down in the middle of the night but will still deliver for jams.

considering hartke hydrives, as i liked the one i tried at sam ash (not sure if it was a 2x10 or 2x12, though, as i wasn't considering a cab at that time). i liked the switchable impedence. TC has a couple K series on my list. i don't like really bright or sharp highs, so not so sure about GK. i love ampeg, but mostly have loved the 15s for their boom, so not the thing to get for now.

suggestions and advice definitely appreciated.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maybe an Ampeg SVT-210AV might float your boat? Add a second one later on down the road for a very giggable rig.

macmanlou, vmabus, dalkowski and 2 others like this.
  3. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I suggest you forget about speaker size. It tells you nothing about how the cab will sound. Concentrate on finding a cab that works for you regardless of speaker size or configuration. For cheap and reliable used cabs, I like the Bagend S15D. They can be found for a couple of hundred bucks used. Although they lack deep lows, they have a nice mid voicing and can get really loud. The rear port can be an issue if you are forced to put the cab up against a wall, otherwise it is fine.

lo-freq and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my main concern is that the sound doesn't travel much when turned way down, not volume or tone. tone comes next, volume isn't a concern at this point.

5. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Low frequencies travel a lot further than high frequencies. That is true regardless of what speaker you use. High frequencies tend to get absorbed by surrounding objects, even the moisture in the air. Low frequencies bend around objects. So if you main interest is playing by yourself without disturbing your neighbors, either play in a room surrounded by thick concrete or get some good headphones.

4StringsEnough likes this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was thinking of one of those. the only time i tried one, the sales guy had kicked up so much drama that by the time everything was plugged in and working i was totally frazzled. maybe i'll go elsewhere and try one out.

tombowlus likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my main interests are having a rig that will let me play alone at night without bothering anyone - which i have been doing without concrete or headphones - and to be able to play jams without drums.

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Another vote for the Ampeg SVT210AV. They sound great at all volume levels, are easy to schlep, and are fairly inexpensive. I usually give a bit of bump in the lows at gig volume but they're great for home practice as well. As TomB said above, adding the second one makes for a great giggable rig.

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    give a bit of a bump in the lows?

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Elevating the cabinet close to ear level makes a big difference in allowing you to monitor at low levels. It also works on stage at higher levels.

I use an ATA case as a stand, sometimes a Leslie cabinet. There are all sorts of creative solutions that you can come up with. Check this one out, scale it as necessary: BartmanPDX amp stand, more details here.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Jim Carr and vmabus like this.
  11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Pretty subjective I suppose and it depends on the amp you're using but I think they sound better with a little more bottom end dialed in.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use the 2x10 format but always two in a vertical stack. I wouldn't even try to gig with one.

13. On your Carvin did you try to cut the mids and lows? That's what I do with my Carvin combo, besides the obvious volume! That little BX250 will wake up your neighborhood with the midrange boosted even at lower volume. The eq in that little amp is pretty strong from my experience anyway.

14. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Ampeg Portabass.
    Acme.

Both are "inefficient" designs. Meaning they won't produce as much sound with the power you have.

15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I've been using The Euphonic Audio Wizzy 10 and Wizzy 12 speakers and I love them. They are easy to move around and they sound great.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i won't mind getting a second one if i like the first. i'll head off to sam ash soon and try it out. i think they had the hartke, too.

i played with it a bit, but the sound seemed thin and not boomy when it woke my husband up - seemed like it had less bass than the bronco, but i play very close to the nighttime amp, so perhaps the sound developed further out.

17. I don't use an amp when my wife is asleep. I used to sit in the next room and play my acoustic Ubass and she would come out and complain about it! We even have a little white noise machine to block out sound and she could here that little acoustic Ubass!

18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my husband sleeps with a white noise machine, and till now he's slept through my playing fine. i don't recall my ubass ever woke him up, either. are you playing with an acoustic ubass or a solid body? i'd think the solid body models would be hard to wake someone up with, but some people are very light sleepers.

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    Detroit
    1x12 seems like what you need. Don't equate size with tone, there are too many variables to do so reliably; do equate size with utility -- 1x12 is perfect home volume, and adding a second would be perfect for gig volume.

EDIT: Also consider headphones for late-night home use.

20. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee Guest

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    really happy with my Carvin MB210, the cabinet is very mid-voiced, but, I can get anything I would want out of it with the eq on that head, I ordered a Carvin 210 extension cab, I'll have a light small easy to move gig rig that I can fit in my Civic, I'm really liking the sound, size and weight...the price and quality is great too, I'm using it for over a year now, (just the 210), pretty sure I'll love it with an extra 210. (Sennheiser HD 555's when I don't want to wake anyone.)

1stnamebassist likes this.