Custom Short Scales - 32" and under - no factory guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alder, Mar 11, 2016.

1. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    Post your custom short-scale bass here. No long-scales, no regular factory models - let's see what people have built ( or had built ) themselves. This thread is dedicated to fixing Leo Fender's 34" mistake. Post a long-scale bass here, and you're going to get reamed and reported as trolling.

I'll start:

P3111253.JPG

"Strat-bory":
    Stratocaster body, custom 21.5" neck, rubber strings

Pico:
    Stratocaster body, custom 25.5" neck

Standard:
    Stratocaster body, custom 30" neck

Lot's more where that came from ...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I can understand a reaming, but how will you delete a post by someone else? :unsure:

M. M.

BeeTL and Fat Steve like this.
  3. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    I will report it as trolling, and encourage others to do the same. Given the opening statement, there should be no question about it.

Why? Because I've seen too many examples of people with nothing more to say than "Bah. Short scales. I'm a mighty man, and I only play long scale." Those folks can go start their own thread and not pollute this one. This is a thread for people who like short-scale basses.

To be absolutely fair and balanced, I'll start up another thread for Mighty-Man Long Scale Players.

4. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Why did you edit out your intention to 'delete unwelcome posts' from your opening statement? :unsure:

M. M.

5. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    32-scale Drake custom semi-hollowbody with two Bart jazz pickups and piezos in the four individual saddle/bridges. Awesome player and beautifully built by Andrew. Part his design, part mine and all his manufacture.
    082.JPG

Big Shrek, dukeorock, exidor and 12 others like this.
  6. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I don't own a short scale bass but this particular Birdsong model (31" scale) has always stirred my curiosity.

Birdsong%20Sadhana.jpg

M. M. :)

7. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

8. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

I noticed that you have Fender™ decals on two of the head stocks. Which bass were those necks taken from in order to have genuine authentic Fender™ decals?

9. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I'm "All About that Bass, sub-short scale." I only play very short scale basses, all of mine are between 21-25 inches. I never played any longer because I started playing over a year ago when our ukulele group leader asked for volunteers to learn bass. I knew I didn't want to use a standard length bass, certainly not a standup. Looking at the Kala U-Bass, I didn't like the configuration, so I bought a Gold Tone GT MicroBass 23" and at the same time ordered a custom 21" fretless. Then I took off and now have 8 basses (as of next week when I receive the red violin style that took a year to modify, which will never happen again).

Short basses.jpg

blueacid4l, ed morgan, BeeTL and 2 others like this.
  10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    25 inch scale Picco Bass that I designed and marketed for about a year. Tuned to standard.

Attached Files:

sneha1965, ed morgan, BeeTL and 2 others like this.
  11. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    Not at all, nice job. I like to use factory parts for things they weren't intended for. As long as you put it together yourself. I can go to Music123 and see all the factory short-scales I want. Here, I'd like to see what folks have done themselves.

BeeTL likes this.
  12. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    I never said there was anything genuine or authentic about these. I just like the way the logo looks, and I'm not making them for sale. Call it a finishing touch. If you look close, you'll see I also signed my name under the finish on two of them. I don't think anyone would be fooled - these are clearly not real Fenders, Fender never sold anything like these. Two of the necks are handmade, the 25" is a modified guitar.

Big Shrek, BeeTL and blindrabbit like this.
  13. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    Wow - nice ! The thread is getting off to a good start.

One nice thing about 32s is that you can generally make regular long scale strings work, especially with string-through body or a longer headstock. I love 32s, and intend to do more of them. I have a design for a 32 conversion neck that is a drop-in replacement on a standard Fender-type body. Here is the prototype - a Squier Jaguar body saved from over-extension:

jazzmaster_bass_v2.jpg

By overhanging the 20th fret, you can use the stock bridge location, just adjust for intonation. This neck will work on any standard bass body. I tried to explain it to Eden once, before they came out with their own short-scale necks, but they didn't seem to understand. Still, that is the only place you can buy a new short-scale neck that I know of, and they are generally decent quality. SS necks are pretty rare on eBay. I once got what I think is an Indonesian-made Squier short-scale neck. It was a piece of junk - the 1950s-type one-way 'skunk stripe' truss rod could not adjust out the excessive back-bow induced by the frets, and the strings didn't pull hard enough to straighten it either. I ended up tearing it apart, and flattened both sides on the belt sander to make a nice template, and built a new one. In fact, it is the right hand one in the picture at the beginning of the thread. That's when I learned that a double-acting trussrod is a must on a short-scale - there is not enough string tension to guaranty the right geometry.

This Jazzmaster has a mighty big brother, but it is disqualified from being here.

BTW, Fender never ever built a Jazzmaster Bass, let alone a 32 inch one. So if that logo fooled you, I would like to talk to you about buying a bridge. Here is a picture of it, it is a great investment, get it now before it's gone:

brooklyn-Bridge.jpg

Cash only

grrg63 and BeeTL like this.
  14. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Ive had short scales since I started playing but most are 34 inch. I bought two Drakes prior to having a build done and they were both 33s. Small hands, unlike Donald, make the shorter scales easier to play and string-thru lets you use full scale strings

Sartori, BeeTL and Fat Steve like this.
  15. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    32" Drake custom PJ:
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

exidor, Korladis, anavar and 9 others like this.
  16. alder

alder Inactive

Feb 17, 2012
    BeeTL likes this.
  17. Those look fantastic! I also rail against the tyranny of the 34" scale, but I play mediums, not shorts, so I'll just enjoy this thread from the sideline. :)

BeeTL likes this.
  18. So many nice basses on here, what a NICE thread. No long scales allowed.....I love it!

Blindrabbit, the thread is for 32" medium scalers and below so my instincts are that yours should be fine to post!

With sincere apologies to those who might be sick of seeing these, as they have most definitely made the rounds and have been posted here before.

Paul Reed Smith built medium scale serial #7 for me in 1976-7, but this medium scaler #11 ended up being my PRS keeper. It was the only bass I played and owned for over 19 years.

PRS 2 Web.jpg

When my band got signed to a new deal in 1999, I had the PRS bass appraised and I realized it could never again leave the house. So, I had Keith Roscoe make me the first medium scaler he ever built. It has a birdseye maple top and an RMC midi system. It also has a drop D tuner and LED's on the side of the fretboard. Like the PRS before it, I needed two full octaves for utilitarian stage use and to duplicate the parts I had played on all the records. I went to Keith and picked out the wood with him and he measured the PRS neck exactly and duplicated it for me. The original bass had magnetic Barts on it - but I opted to have him eliminate them by making me a new body with no pickup routs:

Roscoe-1.png

After a while I realized I needed a stage back up so I had this medium scale 32" twin Roscoe built. This time Keith made the neck nice and wide at the nut - much more like a P bass, and again with all the same basic features. Again, I went to his shop and picked out the wood with him. Both feature a 13 Pin Roland jack right on the body:

5 Roscoe 2.jpg

In 2004 I had the good fortune of spending some time with Rob Allen when his shop was in Santa Barbara. Even though I am not much of a short scale guy - I fell head over heels in love with the way his "Mouse" models sounded and after he showed me a special slice of spalted and flamed maple - well - I realized I had to have him build it for me. Again, drop D tuner and LED's on the side of the fingerboard. I play hard with a pick so or me, fretted necks with ebony sound too "clacky". I opted for rosewood which Rob ebonized for me to look like ebony:

RA-1.jpg

I designed and had my own Viola bass built. I never cared much for the Hofner's - I mean - they sounded great but short scales are too cramped in the upper registers for me, so I wanted a medium scaler. I also wanted one that was built more like a violin or a viola and didn't feel so plastic. Transplanted a Line 6 Variax electronics package into this one and Keith Roscoe did the finish for me:

Killer V Bass Web.jpg

I found "Wilma" - this medium scale semi-hollow body built by luthier Andrew Drake and I fell in love with it just from the photos on his website. The wenge set-neck is awesome and the mahogany binding on the fretboard is a work of art - as is all of the workmanship. I also love the naturally occurring pale streak down the center of her body.

Wilma Close.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  19. BTL

BTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Odessa, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    exidor, Korladis, sneha1965 and 13 others like this.
  20. This is something I'm working on.
    Hannah_ bass.jpg