Diy 2x15 cabinet build (the real deal)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BogeyBass, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Black and Silver

108 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Red and Tan

49 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. Something Else like Carrots

41 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I think that most of folks don't recognize +/- 3dB difference in sound reinforcement without the possibility of A/B comparisons.

Probably most of folks don't recognize significant losses greater than 3dB in band limited ranges if AB comparisons are not possible, that's like a DIY cab sound (for himself) designed with WIN-ISD.

2. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    The Emminece page contains tons of cab designs.
    It's not a problem at all to compare Emminence designs with WIN-ISD results.
    But WIN-ISD calculates very often significant different vent lengths.

As far as I remember WIN-ISD calculates correct for single cabs with only one speaker and only one port.

3. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I wonder what average altitude and temperature assumptions the programmers of WIN-ISD and other free port calculation programs used to estimate the density of the air in the ports....

4. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    If you really wanted to get to the bottom of it, I bet that contraption you did on your last build could help you experiment and get more trustworthy answers than calcs (says the engineer). Or forget it, cut down the tubes until you're over 40Hz and be done with it. At least it overestimated the length. I feel like the 3015 is very forgiving to tuning and box size anyway, so it's not like you have to get it into a narrow sweet spot to get good results.

On my last build, WinISD overestimated the length, too, and I ended up just bottoming out the Precision Ports and calling it a day.

5. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Eminence suggests a total volume 2.825 cubic feet. After subtracting the driver and ports they say you'll have 2.483 cubic feet. Tuned to 49.42 Hz this gives gives you a QL of 7
    and a F3 of 64.54 Hz with minimal fill. For this box they suggest two 4" round ports 6.86" in length.

Question: Do you guys think I should just go for Eminence's measurements, or for WinISD's more voluptuous Vb of 2.867 with a tuning of 44.82? What would be the differences? WinISD says my two 4" ports should be 8.78". How long do you think they actually should be? This matters because I'm trying for a very shallow design.

Thanks.

P.S. What exactly would constitute minimal fill? What would heavy fill be? Is lining the the cab with about 2" of polyfill batting still the preferred choice? With 3/4 birch would I still need bracing?

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Hey guys quick update

been busy partying :D......so dont get to upset....:bag:
    found strange bruises all over my body....;) ooops lol

But been working too, on the 2x15 box and also wrapping up a 1x15 car sub for a friend. Not sure if anybody is interested in the sub box. I might do a thread on that. Used 2 slot ports for that, and guess what program i used to determine the port length:scowl:...but good news is it was only 5hz lower than i wanted.

Anyways update on the 2x15 i have cut the ports 2 times already. And also added more bracing to the front baffle rear baffle and side walls.

Let me tell yah it is a real pain in the ### to cut the port tubes already mounted. had to use remove a hack saw blade from the handle and just cut by hand.:(

first cut was at 6" raised the Fb from 29 to 32 hz

second cut was at 3.5" raised Fb from 32 to 35 hz

I would be happy with 40 to 44 hz...but
    with damping its gonna get lowered 2 to 3hz

so i want to bring it up to at least 46 to 47hz
    and then filled it should be at 44 to 45hz.

these things are going to end up being really short.
    ( to bad the resonant frequency of the 3015 is so high
    if i was using k-140's or legend 158's in this thing it would be done with already
    those both have a Fs around 30hz)

so hang in there been working on it, just dont have any fancy pictures or anything.

7. Woah, the back panel isn't sealed?

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    The difference between 2.4 and 3.2 cubic feet is a little more bass extension.

average fill is just a lined cabinet, im going a little more extreme
    with the poly fill.

abgcj.png

nothing wrong with 3/4 and yes you should brace it, at least the back wall
    1/2 construction is to reduce weight, but yes even if there is no audible rattling and the cabinet does not shake
    and move around with the extended amount of bracing you need. , Yes you can brace it and have no audible rattles and it wont dance across the floor, but is does for sure effect the Q of the cabinet, and there is still going to be 1 to 3dB of loses as ThisBass pointed out, pretty much non audible difference...but but it still would be 0ne louder.

I can tell there is losses with lightweight construction
    hearing and feeling it right here in front of me
    have a 1/2 lightweight box made of plywood, and a 3/4 mdf subwoofer box, with large amounts of braces, and a double layer 3/4 inch baffle, keep in mind MDF is very dense and heavy one sheet is almost 120 pounds.

i have done sweep tests with both of them, both are fine and do not rattle and dont have any nasty resonance.
    but doing a sweep test with the sub box it has a very different sound and feeling the box with your hand its very very firm.
    with the 1/2 box you can hear a difference and feel very slight cabinet resonance with just your hand. even the 3/4 mdf has a slight vibration
    but you can definitely tell the difference. it has a very firm tight sound.

so 3/4 plywood will definitely give you a better box technically, and adding bracing will definitely improve cabinet Q but 1/2 construction saves so much weight. and the audible difference is very shallow. Keep in mind the example is for a proper braced 1/2 cabinet with no resonance or walking from vibration. im not going to argue such a box it is still a professional usable equipment. but 3/4 construction is still going to have way better cabinet Q, and again differences are hard to test and pretty much non audible.

I dont even have the back panel nailed or glued onto this thing and there is still no resonance or rattles
    so all buttoned up 1/2 construction still works when braced well enough.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    pretty much for the most part, i tack it in place with temp nails and then seal the outside and inside with tape.

will mentioned sealing it with something and i forgot to say i was already doing it.

cabinet Q was always a concern i have to say the whole thing is actually really embarrassing. makes it seem like the cab has inadequacy issue.

god forbid if a male gets inadequacy issue.

but thats the thing i could dial this thing in at 44hz and once I glue and seal the back everything is going to change or not.
    50/50 chance right? little bit of Schrödinger's cat...lol

good thing is like i said earlier even without glue and just hanging there, there is no resonance or rattles. so its a pretty sturdy deal. i second guessed it and tested it before and after adding braces, and the Fb never changed.

10. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Hi.

I know nothing about building cabs but I like to watch.:)

Stupid question: Did you try plugging various ports instead of cutting to see the effect?

11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    yes i did, just to make sure they were all working.

and of course they were, i just second guessed it again because when i checked the numbers against win-isd it was behaving like there was only 2 ports not 4

when i plugged each one of them at a time it would change tune. plugging them would lower the tuning
    and of course also confirmed they were all working. i figured they did there was no obstruction, it is all just errors from the program

12. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I'm using a Faital 15PR400. I really haven't been procrastinating. I have been designing and planning and calculating and drawing and working out things to get ready. As long as my old projects worked well, I was happy. I want this project to not only sound good, but look good as well.

13. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    I'm in the same boat. Mine will be a 1x15 with 3015 and Vox fawn cosmetics. I just want to 100% sure of my design before I start. I think I will just use the Eminence mid-sized cabinet volume and ports. I'm leaning towards 3/4" baltic Birch but I may try 1/2" with bracing. I'll probably post the design here on TB first to get it vetted. I just want it to be right without any surprises. Does anyone know of someone who has followed this design, how they braced it and what the results were?

Thanks.

14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    After a bit of reading DIY threads and thinking I'm now leaning heavily towards foam and fiberglass when I tackle my project(s). Heck, I have a roll of 6 oz fiberglass sitting on a shelf, and most of a gallon or two of epoxy sitting elsewhere. If I want to go schamncy I could go for the cedar strip look on the outside, but straight foam and glass will be faster, easier and lighter. Spray with truck bed liner and play the thing...

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Have you ever built one? Put it in a trailer?

16. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn Guest

Sep 29, 2011
    Happy Vally, OR
    I use 15/32 Baltic birch for speaker enclosures all the time. If you make 1" strips and glue them in on edge every 6-8 inches, you'll end up with an extremely rigid cab that comes out lighter than a similar one made of 3/4. Plus its lighter to work with and hole saws and panel saws go through it easier.
    Use Polyurethane adhesive, it expands which seals well and sticks to any thing.

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    vyoy6o.jpg

Ok so a little update I have shortened the ports once again
    to 1.5" or 38mm.

Fb was 40hz.

Re attached screen covers over ports and should have more impressive photos in a few hours.
    Also installed some T nuts for attaching speaker

I cannot really shorten them anymore because of the way i mounted the port tubes, So 40hz it is.
    (this cab wants to fight me, but secretly its saying...hey butt wipe you need to buy some K-140's because 40hz is just perfect for them)

I am sure Will and a few other might remember when we did some calculations of an old Acoustic Control 215. It did not have any port tubes it simply had 2 holes drilled in the baffle.

I thought it would be great for a diy cab to not even use port tubes and simply just have a simple opening.
    I had no intention of incorporating that into this design but it looks like 4 x3" round ports in 3.2 cubic feet will actually yield a tune or Fb of 45hz, if you simply cut 4 x 3" (76mm) round openings symmetrical around the driver, and the actual depth
    of the baffle will provide the correct tune. No tubes needed

So resonant frequency or (Fs) of most 15" pro audio drivers being 30hz to 45hz, It is completely possible for this design
    to suit any of those drivers and be able to provide a BB4 alignment or close to a BB4.
    Mainly just a simple enclosure providing 3.0 to 3.3 cubic feet of volume for good bass response
    and small enough for good power handling, and matching Fb at Fs of driver or simply 3 to 5 hz above or below Fs

for 30 to 35hz, port length will range from 6.5"(165mm) to 3.5" (88mm)
    well known drivers in this range are JBL K-140/ E-140/ 2226H
    Legend CB158, , Celestion FTR15-4080F and Faital Pro 15PR400

for 40 to 45hz, port length will range from 2" (50mm) to .5" (12mm)
    well known drivers in this range are Electro Voice EVM15L/B, Eminence 3015/3015LF , Celestion FTR15-3070C / TF1530
    Peavey Black Widow 1502/1505

many others should squeeze in there, just wait for me to confirm this after a button this thing up and fully seal the back. Also should work out a possible correction factor for Win Isd. By plugging each port and recording data, then compare to modeled data.

18. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I did a composite cab last year. FWIW, I'm doing my next cab out of ply. It was a fun project, but just took way too long, the costs ballooned and I don't really need super lightweight stuff. But if you want to try, feel free to pm me and I'll pass on what I can.

19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Ok some more blah blah about damping material, and some modeled responses I have done for a single cavity in this enclosure.

Mainly the Effects of cone excursion, spl and impedance curves
    of a unlined and lined and filled enclosure. Just for fun

Qa is the Q-value due to enclosure damping material.
    unlined box will have a value of 100 to 80
    moderate lined box 50 to 30
    moderate filled box 20 to 15
    and a heavy filled box 10 to 5

lower number showing more absorption

So I just changed Qa in winisd for my enclosure and since win-isd does not compensate Fb for Qa values, I simply slightly
    lowered Fb for each model, which has been proved already in real world tests.

from what I read damping seems to improve midrange and tighten up the lowend, over filling will still tighten up lowend but can reduce overall presence of bass or simply just reduce it.

I was more interested on its effect of cone excursion, because when i did sweep test with a filled box, I noticed it was more difficult to detect Fb, it seems cone movement was increased around resonance, and frequencies above Fb seem to be less and very well controlled. Wanted to model this, to see if it matched my observation's from sweep tests of a lined and filled cabinet.

Lets take a look a cone excursion with unlined (100) to fully filled (5) Qa values with 200 watts of power being applied in all graphs

2rwrvqq.png

Effect might be more clear at both extremes shown only

t828hj.png

So a medium to heavy fill will reduce cone excursion above Fb and will actually increase excursion at Fb, just as i observed with the sweep tests. I was interested to see the effect of Maximum Power handling also

208cj1e.png

^ seems to be a overall improvement on a med to heavy fill, at the most extreme almost 100 watts of power handling can be gained.
    a more realistic number is closer to 30 to 40watts, which can compensate for my method of tuning so close to Fb which can lose 30 to 40 watts
    I dont believe in gross amounts of high tune to gain power handling, the effect on the actual instrument reproduction is more important
    and more clarity and accuracy will come from lower tuning, or simply using a driver with lower resonate frequency or (Fs)

V Now after reading a few threads about various peoples descriptions of the effects of bass response with a heavy to overfilled box. I had a
    feeling all various descriptions could simply be summed up as.......Bass response can be reduced.
    and that is really all it is....Lets take a look at the effects on Sound pressure level or SPL below 200hz

4fu1r7.png

So with the age old concern of error factors of modelers, and the age old believe of 20% to 40% of additional " Virtual Volume"
    that is believed to be gained by med to heavy fill of damping material. And also settling on my estimated Qa value of around 15 with roughly 20% of error compensation, which can be model error ...or virtual volume whatever you chose...I simply go for model error...that is easily proved from my resent experiences.
    I have included a green bar showing most likely the effect on bass response.

307n5mo.png

you can agree or disagree with my compensation, but if you look at the extreme effects in the model on the impedance curve for a Qa of 5. I seriously doubt it will effect or flatten out the impedance curve that much. So most likely SPL losses shown for a Qa of 5 are unrealistic, and my 20% compensation green bar is a somewhat provable by a more realistic impedance curve shown in the model. Again win isd does not compensate for effects on Fb so i have included that correction as well. Which is just a basic drop of Fb by 2 to 3 Hz as measured in the real world with my basic test.

2l95e8z.png

so you can now see some trade offs and benefits of a med to heavy filled reflex box, opposed to lined. Benefits including more cone control and power handling below 200hz , and of course mid range clarity
    and the reduced effect of standing waves on midrange and upper harmonics above 200hz

2py82yu.png

and course last but not least, more mumbo jumbo about reducing distortion and inaccuracy of ports with non symmetrical waveforms by adding damping at the end of the port to reduce out of phase material exiting and standing waves from non symmetrical cycles. This model wont prove it but does shows reduced port velocity at Fb and at frequencies when cone movement starts to be restricted. Increasing my faith that damping material at the end of the port will reduce said distortion. And only slightly effect Qp which would only result in a impedance curve shift, effect on Fb is no different than typical Qa values which is lowering of Fb and impedance curve shift. Most likely also part of the reason losses in bass response from low Qa values or high damping it simple reduces port velocity, but the extra absorption will decrease standing waves and distortion found in the port

20. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    nothing exciting just wanted to seal the inside with paint, might help with moisture and what not. Seen this plastic dip rubber stuff in a can it was the same price as normal paint. so heck why not seal it up with that.

2uqdg82.jpg

first coat, battery in camera went dead after second
    but you get the point

219ozya.jpg