Does anyone own a famous Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt-77, Dec 18, 2010.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    About the same time Victor bought Stanley's School Days Alembic, I bought a long scale Alembic that Stanley occasionally played on his Clarke Duke Project tours.

The bottom half of this photo shows the bass and a promo shot of Stanley with the bass. Ironically, everything in the top left picture in the montage has since been sold. The other picture is me with the Stanley bass and my other Alembic. They both arrived the same week in June 2000. That was a very good week.

BassCollection.jpg SoManyStrings.jpg

2. 71?????? No, no, no, this bass is past the due date and should be sent to me.

3. LiamR

LiamR Guest

Aug 15, 2010
    niceeeeeeeeeeee.

4. Gort

Gort Inactive

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    There's 2 of them?

:confused::eek::confused::eek:

_

5. Not really famous, but I just got a Rickenbacker that use to be owned by the former bass player from Panic At The Disco

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    how much does one pay for the stanley clarke alembic he played school days on? and how does stanley just sell a bass like that? i could never do that...i'd make a shrine to it if i was stanley ;)

7. CTbass&birdsong

CTbass&birdsong Guest

Sep 22, 2006
    BASS Heaven !!!!
    beautiful alembics., you have....I was able to pick up Stanleys "Clarke Spellbinders #3 &#4" from the same sell....a little bit of history.....:D

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I talked with Stanley when I bought the long scale from him. He was auctioning off all his gear to settle the terms of a divorce. His ex had set unrealistic values on several of his instruments and expected him to just give her half of whatever value she set. He decided instead to sell it and give her half the proceeds.

The School Days bass was listed in the auction at around 20k but didn't sell. I saw it drop as low as $16k. Don't know what Vic paid for it.

9. Judging from those pics, he needed a custom pickguard!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    divorce...should have known...man, that's gotta hurt.

11. loveandbass

loveandbass Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I once owned a modulus quantum that was owned by steve buslowe of meatloaf and celine dion fAme. Epic, i know.

12. Shanty

Shanty Guest

Dec 12, 2010
    Not a bass, but in October I got the pick used by Danyel Morgan, the bassist for Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Normally he doesn't use a pick, but one of the techs waiting in the wings gave it too him when he was changing out basses. He thought its jumbo size was so novel, he was laughing as he played. He played the encore, and then threw it into the crowd. I caught it after it bounced off of someone's head. Aww yeah. Really awesome, I was about 3 feet from him the whole show. That man has funk in his blood.
    photo.jpg
    The guitar pick, in case you're wondering, I stole off the stage from the guitarist for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals' mic stand.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    I hope to someday. Some friends of mine do own famous player's basses, such as John Entwistle's Rickenbacker 4005, his fretless Wal, and Jon Camp's Rickenbacker 4001.

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Let's say that I know the right people ;)

15. apa

apa Guest

Mar 28, 2010
    Glastonbury, UK
    I have an old Kay bass that I did up, refretted and sprayed etc, that was given to me by a guy who recorded in Robin Guthrie's (Cocteau Twins) studio.

A

16. aldixon

aldixon

Oct 16, 2009
    I own Willie Dixon's upright bass........:hyper:

17. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
    I own the VERY early Steinberger L2 that was used on the Live Aid concert in 1985 to Play "Do They Know ITs Christmas"

http://goodfellasband.ie/berger.html

You can hear it on some of the vids too

Pete Briquette played it on soem Boomtown Rats albums too

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Don't own anything famous, however, like several posters, everyone of my basses has been played by someone of medium to large fame, only due to the fact that I live near a ton of 'em, to include Mesaros, Maby, Tallent, yada yada.

Interesting how all of them sound exactly like their "sound" even playing completely different instruments from their own and without really tweaking amps or bass.

tk

19. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I own the Celinder J Update 4 that was built for Danish bass player Thomas Skarbye (sometimes spelled as Skarbee or Scarbee) back in '98:
    DSC01349.jpg
    I have no clue who the previous owners of my old Fender are.

20. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I owned a Marshalll cab that was Ric Ocasek's. So I was told.