Does the Fender American PJ Bass has the Sound of the Fender P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aya, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Aya

Aya Guest

Jun 5, 2017
    Hello, Everyone.

I'm a newbie here. and I also will be a newbie bass player soon.

I play guitars and make songs with MIDI instruments. Recently, I decided to buy a bass and to use it for recording instead of VSTI although I haven't played a bass yet. :roflmao:

I have heard some Fender bass guitars. and I found I like the P bass sound over J bass although the slim neck of J bass seems to fit well to my relatively small hands.

So I was about to buy a 2017 Fender American Professional Precision Bass(I heard it was the successor to the American Standard which is produced untill 2016. Right?).

Then suddenly, I found a strange item on the internet. Please refer to the link below.

2016 Limited Edition American Standard "PJ" Bass | Precision Bass® Bass Guitars | Fender® Bass Guitars

That bass has an unusual spec. P bass body + J bass neck + P bass pickup + J bass bridge pickup... it is not MIM or MIJ. and all pickups are passive.

That PJ has P pickup and slim J neck too. It seems perfect! drool But I'm not sure that PJ bass has the same sound of normal P bass.

Does the PJ have original P sound(and additional J bridge sound)? Or does the PJ have completely different sounds than P sound(or J bridge sound)?

If the PJ has unique sounds of its own rather than the P sound. then I would buy a normal P bass. If the PJ has the same sound of normal P bass, I would go for it.

Is anyone who heard the both PJ and P? or Any information related to this are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

2. ThumpBump

ThumpBump

May 2, 2017
    I don't have any personal experience with this particular bass, but I think which specific model of p-pickup is in it will make a much bigger difference than whether or not it also has a J pickup. In theory I suppose just having another pickup in the circuit could change the sound to some degree, and having a second cavity for the J pickup changes the mass of the body slightly, but I'd be shocked if anyone could actually tell a difference from that. I would not be shocked if people claimed to hear a difference, but that's different.

My bottom line on this is about the same as it is with most of these little things: the biggest differences in tone by far are going to come from the player, the amp, the pickup, and the strings, in roughly that order. Whatever difference there is between a PJ with only the P pickup turned up and the exact same P-pickup all by itself, it's probably less than the difference you would get by slightly tweaking any knob on your amp.

radicalkat likes this.
  3. radicalkat

radicalkat Guest

Apr 6, 2016
    I A/B'd an American standard and the PJ bass. With the P pickup soloed, the PJ sounded all P to me. I think you'll like it. Plus then you'll always have the option for greater versatility with that J pickup if you ever want it.

I agree that the additional electronics will probably create tonal differences. But darned if I could here any.

My $.02

PawleeP, 73_Blazer and Munjibunga like this.
  4. DCGuy

DCGuy

Apr 12, 2016
    Washington DC, USA
    This is my main bass. Yes it sounds like any Fender P. The J pickup sounds like any bridge position J pickup.
    I really wouldnt trade this bass for anything else.
    Good luck!

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Azle, Texas
    They classify it as a Jazz because of the neck, but the Japanese Fender Areodyne is a P/J configuration with a J neck. I bought one last week at GC. Sounds like a P when I want it to.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Mar 8, 2009
    I have the American Standard PJ, and it sounds just like a P when you solo the P pickup. Occasionally I add a bit of the J pickup for certain tunes. The workmanship is great, too.

7. SpiceMan68

SpiceMan68 Guest

Oct 17, 2016
    This wiring and a push-pull pot will remove the Jazz pickup and pot and eliminate any loading of the standard Precision control scheme.

PJ%20VVT%20with%20P%20direct%20switch_zps9ednbx1a.jpg

gscroggin and Munjibunga like this.
  8. In almost every passive PJ I've played, the split P pickup absolutely dominates to the point that the Jazz rail makes only a marginal difference. So yes, if you want your passive PJ to sound like a P bass, that's probably what you'll get IME.

Now, the active Fender "Deluxe" versions are a completely different story. The Jazz rail gets ramped up massively and the bass becomes a versatile tone monster. Unfortunately, an active split P pickup is a very different animal from the passive version. Still, this is my Fender PJ of choice.

PawleeP likes this.
  9. ThumpBump

ThumpBump

May 2, 2017
    My understanding was that the pickups in the deluxe versions are regular passive ones, but there's an onboard active EQ/preamp type thing that can be switched on and off. With it switched off, it's supposed to be the same as any other passive bass. But it sounds like you have personal experience, so maybe that's not right?

10. I think that's right, but I never dial the electronics back, it's always full "active" mode for me.

Now I'm curious as I haven't played that one in awhile. Mine is one of the early MIM versions but I believe it has these electronics:

Fender Deluxe Active P Bass® Special, Maple Fingerboard, 3 Color Sunburst

Although they use the word "switch" for active/passive control, mine does not have a switch, though it may have a dial (knob) for that function.

That's a whole lotta bass for $799.00, especially considering the big bump in quality Fender MIM basses have experienced over the last seven or eight years.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    73_Blazer likes this.
  11. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Maybe this isn't what you're saying, but while a jazz bridge pickup might lack on its own, mixing it with the P pickup makes a lot of difference. If he wants a pure precision sound, he'd need to make sure the jazz stays turned all of the way off.

12. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    I Have a Precision California special. It has a Jazz neck and PJ p/ups. I have a Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder in the P position and a Fender Super55 split coil J p/up at the bridge. It sounds like any other p bass with the jazz pick up turned down. The bridge pick up adds a little bite to the top end and adds a handy thumb rest if I want to change hand position and play closer to the bridge. I find I'm going more to this bass because of the versatility. It does a better job of sounding like a Jazz than my Jazz does sounding like a Precision.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  13. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Yes, it has the same sound.

14. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Worcester, Mass
    I got an American Hotrod Precision and it is a P bass with the bridge vol all the way down, all a P/J bass is is a Precision with an added pickup. I do tend to think that the more solid Precision neck adds some girth to the sound though.

15. Aya

Aya Guest

Jun 5, 2017
    Thank you all~ Someone around me said that PJ has not the same sound as P. but hearing all of you, it seems that it's too early to be disappointed. Maybe I should go to a shop for A/B test. :bassist:

16. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I don't have that exact bass, but I do have a Fender Precision Deluxe with passive PJ pickups (the J pickup being the Noiseless variety). It sounds like a P bass to me when I turn the volume on the J pickup down. What you are looking at is definitely going to sound like a P bass if you want it to.

17. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Is there hum

18. Panych

Panych

Jun 30, 2014
    I had a chance to have both AM std P and Am std limited PJ.
    In my view the tone of P is deeper and lower. The PJ’s P-pickup sounds a little bit more clearer with less bottom end.
    In addition, I found PJ’ output a bit weaker than P’s one.
    Howevere, now I have the PJ only as it is more versatile and J neck is very nice for me. Slap sound is much nicer for my hears than on a P.
    I have no any hum in all pickups combination on my PJ.