Eden WT550 crackles and pops while idle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mav, Apr 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Just picked up a used Eden WT550, love the tone. While sitting idle with the the gain and master set and my passive bass turned down it lets off the occasional pop and crackle.
    I have, changes the tube for a new one, cleaned all the inputs jacks with Deoxit, opened it up and tapped (using a wooden chop stick ALWAYS USE WOOD FOR THIS) all internal parts/connections and nothing seemed loose, finally just eyeballed anything burnt or blow and could see anything out of place.
    I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and offer any knowledge.
    There is also a pop when the thermostat controlled fan kick in, is that normal?

2. It isn't normal, but not unheard of. Not long ago I got my first Eden amp after years using other gear. Doin a little research on their forum, I found out that crackles and pops on startup are normal, as the tube warms up. I've a feeling the other pops an scratches you experience could be your wall power. In mine, in my house, when my coffee pot is on, I can hear it's element click on thru my amp. My house power is terrible. Heh. I can also hear light switches, other small pops and cracks that don't happen on stage. But on stage? It has other cracks and pops due to freezers, faders for light and such. Also, playin it near a television or computer screen can get to it as well. Not just my Eden, but my other gear, too. One thing I found helped was putting the amp off the cabinet I was using it with. Either with a rack or a stand. You could have the power supply checked. And the tube socket. But it may be just a quirk of the amp in the room yer runnin it. In my experience, anyhow.

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I know it sounds crazy...but try another tube...just in case that new one was bad too

Also ask on the Eden forums...if they still have them?

Munjibunga and The Nameless like this.
  4. Another thing I just happened to think of as I play my Eden this morning. Cell phones. When I get a text, when I use Wi-Fi, when my phone updated itself, or just random noise, my amp makes all kinds of electronic racket if my phone is too close. Like a sick R2-D2. Heh. Could be the tube, as well, as mentioned above. Different tubes do act differently in certain amps. Sovtek tubes in my SWR gear work, others do not. Eden forums are a great reference for these amps. This old WT-800 of mine sounds very good, and the EQ is all kinds of powerful.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    I had a noisy wt-800 and had a local amp tech go through it...I just noticed you're in Charleston - you probably know the guy that fixed mine...let me know if you're interested

6. I appreciate that info, neptoon. I certainly would be interested. Both in meeting a fellow Charlestonian, and info on amp repair. That is PRICEless info 'roun these parts. Please pm me wit any info you could pass along. Maybe we know each other outside talkbass?

neptoon likes this.
  7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    I will PM you his info...great amp guy and doesn't charge a lot compared to some other "big city" amp techs I've used in NYC, seattle, and memphis...he did a tube swap on my 800 do a solid state 'tube' and went through my amp from top to bottom and it was less than $100...his kitchen is like a little electronics diagnostics lab...

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    my WT800 was noisy until I had a rerouting of the internal wires...silent after that

9. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I've got a WT550 that I used to use. It does the same thing as yours. I had a local guy go through it and he couldn't find anything. I wish I could fix it. There's another longer thread on this topic here on TB.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    David Nordscow...He would know

11. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Do you have bad power, power lines near the room, or something like a computer or TV on the same circuit? I pretty much have the trifecta in my studio. My Genz Genz w/tube pre crackles when my computer is on a white screen. It crackles a little when I scroll too. Very weird. I haven't tried a simple power conditioner yet, I know when I've had similar problems my old Furman power regulator (not just conditioner- regulator) ironed most of those out, sadly, that thing bit the dust a few months ago after about 15 years of service. Not sure if something with more filtering would help your situation, I'll be looking into it myself, but yeah, the regulator was a really nice thing to have.

12. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    I swear the Eden forums said you'd want to clean the effects loop input/outputs if this happened.

Something about dust getting inside of the jacks. Might be mistaken.

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    It might be electrolytic capacitors getting old and "drying out", losing capacitance as the fluid evaporates. When that happens, their filtering effect goes down, letting more power line transmitted garbage into the amp.
    (It is a good idea to repace ALL electrolytes, even those on the signal/preamp board, as they also filter out unwanted signals from affecting the signal path.)
    It might also be time to replace all OP amps on the board, as they age, too.
    In both cases, a perfectly doable DIY job for someone with a bit of experience. I am not sure OP is ready for it, but he might have someone among his friends who is.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  14. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Try cleaning & exercising all jacks first. Both my Eden and my Alembic benefited from this

15. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Don't you read, just write?
    Read the first post...

16. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I read. And I saw nothing about exercising. I've had Deoxit do zilch on both units I mentioned until I exercised the jacks. Alembic even recommends using emery cloth. I never had to go that far.

pdfiddler likes this.