Ernie Ball Coated strings, Yuk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rollin Thunder, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    got a set of these pretty cheap put them on my ray 34. not nice at all. its like they are slightly gluey and sticking when you play, they don't sound particularly bad, but distinctly less growl than normal Slinky set.

anybody else think along the same lines.

2. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    The only coated strings that I actually could tolerate the tone and feel of was Elixir. That said, had to quit using them because of the noise they caused in certain venues. All the other brands like the EBs you mention have wrap wire that is coated before it's wound onto the core. Feels and sounds terrible to my hands and ears.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Never tried Elixir, but the only coated strings I've used that were ok were DR Silver Stars, not sure if they make them for bass, though...
    DR Neons were crap & so were the Red Devils.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

They do make the Silver Stars for bass...they are identical to the Neons and Red Devils except for the color :)

But if you were using the old pre-K3 DR coated strings, you were essentially playing Aurora strings. The new K3's are night/day different.

5. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    think there coming off and new set of slinkys back on. only paid £17 for them brand new so no great loss, but just don't like the slightly muffled tone on them sound like old dolby noise reduction on a cassette player.
    plus they are a little too grippy your finger need to slide a little bit i think.
    nothing ventured nothing gained. may save them to go on my old p bass probably suit that ok.

6. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Slinkys back on 45-105 sound great.

BrentSimons likes this.