Ernst Heinrich Roth 1956 Old School Bass Build under $600

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jon Fiala, May 8, 2016.

1. Jon Fiala

Jon Fiala Guest

Feb 9, 2016
    Madison
    Yeah, they were great!

2. Jon Fiala

Jon Fiala Guest

Feb 9, 2016
    Madison
    So, I just went to the store today in-order to test out their double basses. Both were shens, one being marked for 3,300 dollars for a hybrid, and one for 5,000 for an SB200 Willow solid wood. After trying them for a good hour I realized something. This EHR bass has a much better tone, and even with much higher action, is easier to play. This could possibly be due to its age, maybe a little bit of the construction too, but my bass sounded miles ahead of these two other.

3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Or it could be that the two Shens, being new, un-purchased instruments, had the high action of no set-up uncut bridges, which would affect both tone and playability. I was by Howard Core Company today, and the one bass they had on display looked great; but I could tell just walking by that the action was high.

4. Jon Fiala

Jon Fiala Guest

Feb 9, 2016
    Madison
    Usually I would say that too but the bridges were fitted really well(not as nice as a despiau bridge though) and the action was nice and low with a nice tension to the string. They both played phenomenally, just didn't have the tone. For some reason they both seemed like they lacked the bottom end to round out their sound

5. Jon Fiala

Jon Fiala Guest

Feb 9, 2016
    Madison
    IMG_4069.JPG Almost a year before I committed to starting this project, -!: she is holding up well. I use a JT jet carbon bow on her and she sounds great arco and pizz. Anyone else have any bass restorations in progress?

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I'd really like to know the name of this shop and if they have any other "project" basses. Would you be ok PM'ing that info? I'm close enough to Madison to make something like this worth it.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's the Double Bass Workshop in Madison WI. I bought my bass there.

The owner, Vince Jesse, is a friend of mine. But he's also quite well respected in the area, an excellent luthier, and very down to earth and helpful when it comes to shopping for a bass or getting work done. It's kind of rare for bassists to have a resource like this in a town the size of Madison.

Adam Booker likes this.
  8. Adam Booker

Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Good to know. I might need to make a road trip!

9. Jon Fiala

Jon Fiala Guest

Feb 9, 2016
    Madison
    Actually this Bass came from Heid music Appleton WI. They have an instrument "junkyard" in their basement. Vince Jesse helped me with some of the wood filling and getting parts for it however. I highly recommend his shop "the double bass workshop".

Rezdog, fdeck and Adam Booker like this.
  10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Great post and restoration!