Fender Select Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    In my 30 years of playing, I have never owned a Fender. This one has caught my eye though and for quite some time I have been considering buying a P bass. For those that own one or have played one. how does it compare to the MIA Fender P bass? All I am seeing for the extra money is a flamed maple top.
    Fender Select Precision bass

0170306703_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

Fender MIA P bass
    0193600700_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

wmmj and fender68 like this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    AFAIK the only difference between Fender's Select series and their AmStds is the fancy top cap.

3. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Material and build quality is supposed to be better, too. I love this one and found a rare 2011 P/J deluxe model earlier this year. It's fantastic.

DSC04371.jpg

kranahan, gregmon79, Broke and 9 others like this.
  4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    The Select also has a separate figured maple fingerboard, specially wound pickup and a stealth A-string retainer.
    The top is not as rounded on the edge as the Am. Std., and I ended up selling mine because it was not nearly as comfy on the forearm as my Am. Std. is.
    I should have kept it - the sound was phenomenal. Bright, crisp, punchy and tight.
    Special case too, along with a medallion on the rear of the peghead, and comes standard with Schaller straplocks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Ghastly likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Interesting about the pickup. Do you know what is that's special about how it's wound?

BTW - My GF has one of their Select Strats. It's a really nice guitar. But it sounds and plays very much like some of her other AmStd Strats. Definitely supermodel pretty though. The attention to those little fit & finish details is definitely better. But nothing she or I thought really set it all that much apart (sound and feel-wise) from some other instruments in her collection. However, she's extremely fussy when it comes to buying another guitar so everything she owns is vetted nine ways to Sunday. So I guess you could say that all of her guitars are "select" - by HER! :laugh: She'll think nothing of going to four or five different places and trying out ten or more Strats at each before she'll (sometimes) buy one. Sales people definitely earn their commissions when she's out shopping. ;)

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i played an MIA Standard jbass at GC. i also tried a Custom Shop jbass and a Select jbass. i liked the Select, so there is something real happening there. they were all nicely set-up, but the tone & playability of the Select was very nice.

fender68 and Ghastly like this.
  7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Per my Fender magazine, it says is that the Select Series have their own pickups unique to the Select Series, wound to enhance the tonal properties of each model. Probably just a few extra windings.
    It sounded vintage to me, but
    with a little extra output.
    They really do sound quite nice.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home

Cool! Next time I run into one I'm definitely going to have to make a point of trying it out. Thx!

9. Don't they also have a compound radius and contoured neck heel?

Pet Sounds likes this.
  10. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I'm thinking of offering one of my one off Music Man Bongo's for a trade on one or selling one of them to buy one.

11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    They are between American Deluxe and Custom Shop. I have one still unplayed,and going to buy a used one next week. Incredible basses.

12. Lowness

Lowness Inactive

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    Select also has a quarter sawn neck.

I am not sure it is worth the extra $$$, particularly given the select p is still passive.

I have seen one - you can hardly tell it is a select. Not much different to the MIA.

Super Iridium likes this.
  13. jallenbass

jallenbass Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Compound radius for sure. Don't know about the other thing.

pedroims likes this.
  14. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    And the quarter sawn neck, and the compound radius, and the pickups. On mine, the body edges are more "squared" than the AS. It is still one of the nicest P basses I have ever owned.

Mastermold likes this.
  15. All that and the tv logo. Wow!

RBJ11, Tbone76 and Ghastly like this.
  16. you have an unplayed bass and you are already buying another one? Time to get GAS treatment, stat.

P. Aaron likes this.
  17. 2manynotes

2manynotes Inactive

Jun 22, 2012
    I've owned both. I decided to stay with the American Standard for the following reasons:

The Select's finish chipped too easily. Yeah yeah, that's what lacquer finishes do. That's why I traded in all of my lacquer-finished basses.

The Select's pickups are definitely unique. Do they sound better than the American Standard? No, just different. I asked the factory what made the Select's pickups unique. They said "the pickups are voiced specifically for the Select model's unique wood." Huh, what? Right. They should have just said "because voodoo."

The Select has the same bridge and tuners as the American Standard.

The Select's neck has a compound radius (which didn't do a thing for me) and a flame maple fingerboard. I prefer rosewood.

You can buy the stealth A-string retainer on the open market. I added it to my American Standard.

Bottom line - the Select's features didn't really do anything for me. The 2012-present American Standard is the best built Fender bass to date. It's a tank that gets the job done. I think the Selects were some kind of marketing test.

You can't go wrong with either model.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Shortie, P. Aaron and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  18. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Mar 8, 2009
    I have a Select. Not sure what's different about the pickups, but it really does sound different than my other USA P-Basses. Very "piano-like" with the tone knob turned up, I'd say. It's a very high quality instrument. I happen to have a pretty outrageously flamey bass; they vary in terms of the amount of flame. The finish definitely is vulnerable to chipping. Lightweight and well balanced, with a super comfortable neck.

19. XontheP

XontheP Guest

May 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    That seam in the wood used in the top is always so obvious to me, it's distracting. Personally, I couldn't get past that. But that's just my personal brand of of OCD talking.

4StringMadness and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  20. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I have two one off Bongo's for sale on Reverb. With one of the sales from one, I am going to hopefully get a Select. I really do dig them or I may try and offer a trade straight across for one of my Bongo's. If that doesn't happen, then I will probably go after an American Standard new from one of my sales or maybe even offer one of my Bongo's in a trade for one of them.