First Warmoth Project!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Okay, I'm in the planning and totaling stages of my Warmoth project. I'm figuring out what I want, how soon I can get it, and where I should get it from, lol.

Anyway... I was wandering what you guys think about me, a player of 1 year, and absolutely nil experience modifying basses building a bass from the "pre-fab" ground-up.

To those of you whom build Warmoth projects, do you think that there is some step I'm skipping that I shouldn't??

Am I getting myself into deep s**t??

~Ryan

2. waxcomb

waxcomb Guest

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    First Nino suggestion! And only one minute after it was posted. Someone keep records of this stuff?

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If you are handy with a soldering iron and good with tools and wood than you have a fighting chance. If you have absolutely no experience working with your hands on detailed items then don't expect much. Education is not free, maybe not even cheap. If this is a major financial sacrafice for you then I would sacrafice a bit more and find someone who is experienced in such matters, and ask if you can come watch. If you do decide to do the whole thing yourself order 3 or 4 nuts and go for a simple finish.
    MAKE SURE YOU PLAN EVERYTHING CORRECTLY, CHECK AND TRIPLE CHECK, DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING!!!!

4. jeffhigh

jeffhigh Guest

May 16, 2005
    The hardest part of the project is finishing the two wooden bits (body and neck)
    If you buy these prefinished, half the job is done.
    You will need an electric drill and drill bits and some knowledge of how to use them, an assortment of screwdrivers, a soldering iron (or a friend to do the soldering)
    Drill the right size holes, deep enough but not too deep and screw it all together.
    once everything is ready the actual assembly need only take a few hours.
    Jeff

5. BassyBill

BassyBill Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've done two of these projects, and like you was a complete novice before the first one. They've both turned out really well.

My top tips would be...

-Plan every single step and think hard before doing any little thing.
    -Practice any tricky bits (drilling, soldering, etc) on something else before you touch your expensive bass bits!
    -Read up as much as you can about each aspect, you'd be amazed how some time on Google can save expensive mistakes.
    -Talk to (or email) people in the know. You may not have friends who make guitars, but you may well know people who are good with wood/electrics/DIY and so on. Their knowledge and help can be invaluable. I also found people like John East at J-Retro and Carey Nordstrand really helpful, as well as lots of other TBers. Thanks guys!
    -Keep tools and other metal objects well away from wood when you're not actually using them. Understand that your bass loves soft surfaces, pamper it!
    -Be prepared to take as long as you need, don't rush (the temptation to do this gets stronger when it's nearly finished). :scowl:
    -NO detail is too small for careful consideration. Remember the golden rule... most of the work should be done in your head before you touch the actual bass.

The main differences between you and a master craftsman are knowledge and experience. Anything you can do to boost your knowledge or take advantage of other people's experience will help avoid errors. Don't take chances, only go ahead with each step when you're totally confident that you're ready to do it right. If you follow this advice you should get a lot of pleasure out of the process and the result. Best of luck with it!

6. I appreciate all of the information, feedback, and thoughts deeply. Just to let you guys in, I do have a really really good hand in wood working, and working with tools. Most of my wood working ability stems form industrial tech. class, and all of my tool working skills come primarily from building a race car with just me and brother, and working on my step fathes oval track stock car team.

One question about soldering... Is it anything at all like welding??? I can weld pretty well, I started welding with a broken wrist, and was "pretty good" at it, now I'm just "good." Oh yeah, is that ColdHeat soldering tool a good idea?? I just saw a commercial for it on SPEED, and was wandering if a $20 soldering tool would work as well as they said it would.

Thanks again,
    ~Ryan.

7. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hi Ryan,

IMO, forget about the ColdHeat 'soldering' gun and invest around $50 into a nice Weller soldering station with variable wattage. Something that will max at 40w, but be able to reduce to 20w is perfect for anything you'll need to solder on a bass.

You'll also want to use flux core solder (not acid core) of a diameter equal to or smaller than 1/16".

R

8. Thanks for the info on the soldering gun!

I think my step-dad has one lying around in the garage somewhere... At least he SHOULD I mean for God's sake we have a drill press in there. :D

~Ryan

9. Oh yeah, forgot...

About the nut,what type of nut should I use??? I was thinking of using a graphite nut and taking it to a local shop to have it cut for me, what does that include? So I just take the nut, or do I take the whole bass?? Is there a standard cost for this? I know the cost would vary, but I build based on estimates anyway!

Confused... :eyebrow:
    ~Ryan

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I had Warmoth install a preslotted Corian nut for an additional $20 or 25