Four to Five, how long to adapt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RG55, Sep 24, 2022.

1. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    I have just got a second-hand Ibanez SR305EB.

Clearly, it'll take more than just 2 days to adapt to 5 strings -- 2 weeks? 2 months? I hope it's not 2 years (or never).
    Especially tricky is when I have to use the G string -- it seems like a string too many.
    It also seems easier to play fingerstyle than with a pick.

How long did it take you to adapt?

2. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Personally it didn’t take me long. I just played them exclusively for a while and did my first gig with them a month later.

Jazzdogg, tindrum, Big Benner and 3 others like this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    It took a few days for me, but don’t set up time frames on your progress. And don’t worry if it seems to be taking a little longer than some may say.

Keep working on getting used to the 5-string and suddenly you’ll look up and say, “Hey, I’m playing a 5-string!”.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Jazzdogg, tindrum, whero and 4 others like this.
  4. J Wilson

J Wilson Supporting Member

Bearing in mind I'd take any and all of your four string axes and KEEP them put away, it's like anything else: The more you do it, the better and quicker you'll be at home on it.

When I got my first one, I was gigging virtually every night. I'd start out on it, made more than a few wrong notes, then I'd toss it and go back to the four.

After a week of this, I could see I was getting nowhere fast, so I'd leave the four at home, and dove into the deep end;. luckily my guys were supportive, I began to get my legs under me and never looked back.

That was back in the late 80's, and until a few years ago, I never owned another four-string.

Having to get fluent on a different instrument onstage and in public is a tremendous incentive, and maybe not for everybody.

I also always advise to approach it as a different instrument. 'It's just a four with an extra string' to me is BS. They mute differently, the neck and fingerboard is bigger though familiar, and you can play across the fingerboard a lot more easily. Transposing is far more simple.
    And yes, the handful of extra low notes is fun where appropriate.

Best of Luck,

JW

5. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    I’ve had my five since 2000. I’m still adapting. Perhaps I don’t like it as much as a four in general. I only use the five for very special purposes.

ajkula66, Bass Man Dan and RG55 like this.
  6. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    From a few days to 20+ years? That's quite a wide interval :)

Practice with the 5 and rest the 4... Yes, I'm re-learning on the 5 the songs I knew, I thought that it would ease me into playing the 5 quicker... or should I learn songs specifically for the 5 first?

7. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    What you are doing is the way to go about it. It will make the transition easier for you.

RG55 likes this.
  8. djmay

djmay

Apr 8, 2022
    Switzerland
    Forever

mikewalker likes this.
  9. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    Yes, I hope so, thanks

10. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    So, about two months, then :D

11. djmay

djmay

Apr 8, 2022
    Switzerland
    That would be impressive.

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    You'll be fine. Initially maybe you'll think the A isn't where you left it. You mentioned the G being further away than you thought. What is the string spacing like?

Your right hand is the important one here, if you are used to just anchoring your thumb and not moving it will be a challenge. But if you move your right hand as you go up or down (or across the strings I guess I should say) I think that will make it easier.

13. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Maybe a month or two. I put a trigger in my brain that helped: “Just like a four-string, but with an extra fat string up top”.

Sorry if that sounds obvious…. :roflmao:

14. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    It would impress me :bassist:

15. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    Just practice a lot. That’s really the main delimiter. Less you practice, longer it takes.

aus_bass and RG55 like this.
  16. KenD

KenD

Oct 25, 2020
    Vancouver Island
    Not long at all for the fretting hand. I had begun to feel that I was "missing" and looking for those lower notes so when they showed up on the 5th string (say, below the 7th fret) I welcomed them into my playing hardly missing a beat.

Technique with the plucking hand took a couple of weeks to smooth out because of the wider distance between the 1st and 5th strings. I use a floating thumb for muting and that meant more horizontal hand movement and coordinating that with the forearm.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Took me a month but I did have some bad habits to correct as I wasn't doing the floating thumb technique correctly. I only played my 5 during that time, relearning all the songs I play to find more efficient ways to play them on the 5.

This video help me the most with floating thumb if you were curious.

At the time, I had five 4's and one 5. now, I have four 5's and zero 4's.

Good Luck!

Adagietto likes this.
  18. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    No problem there, I let my thumb roam free.
    String spacing is supposedly 16.5 mm. It's not that it's too far away, it's that it isn't supposed to be another string there, you see...

19. djmay

djmay

Apr 8, 2022
    Switzerland
    I am not trying to dissuade you. Stick with it and at some point it will start to feel natural.

eriky4003 and RG55 like this.
  20. RG55

RG55

Jun 13, 2020
    European Union
    I can avoid/mute the fat string, or (so far) play the D of Drop D there fine. The problem seems to the G string being felt/though of as not supposed to be there.