Frenzal Rhomb vs FOX FM

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wolfhound, Jul 23, 2004.

1. wolfhound

wolfhound Guest

Jun 16, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Frenzal Rhomb were headling a festival in Darwin and Jackie O, a radio presenter on Today FM and former Popstars judge, was supposed to be MCing the festival but was 9 hours late.

When Frenzal were due to play Jackie O came out to talk to the crowd, according to Lindsey the guitarist this is what then occured

"The basics of it is that Jackie O was supposed to be hosting the festival, she missed her plane, was 9 hours late, when she finally arrived they were already running behind time, and they asked us to cut some songs out. When we were about to go on suddenly she appears out on stage to say her bit or whatever. The crowd were already chanting for us, and they'd already had to put up with some MP trying to talk to them, So we decided we weren't gonna wait anymore and just went out on stage, with me playing the intro to Thunderstruck (badly). As we started our set Jason and I were saying things like "Sorry bout Jackie O, Jackie O what the f***?" and "F*** Popstars, F*** Big Brother, F*** the lot of them"... and then proceeded into our set."

When Jackie O got on the radio next time she and her co-host were threatening to "Bury the band" and "destroy Frenzal Rhomb". They then got Jason the lead singer on the phone intending to make a fool of him.

The radio interview is here at Frenzal Rhomb vs FOX FM , its about 4.5 meg but well worth the listen.

2. Though I am ignorant in the state of the Australian music industry, and I haven't heard much of Frenzal Rhomb's music, I am totally with them. It's pretty apparent this Jackie O person and her croney (whoever he is) don't have a leg to stand on. What Jason said about the Australian music scene is applicable to the US scene as well. Kudos to him!

Screw whoever this Jackie O person, if she can't take heckling she's in the wrong business.

3. Kurisu

Kurisu Guest

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Oh man, that was funny. Thanks wolfhound.

I wonder... With all this popstar and ***Idol crap, people think that original bands are doomed... But didn't people say this during the disco days of the 70's and the electronic pop of the 80's?

Rock will outlive everything. There will be another wave of rock, as soon as someone invents the new sound. Maybe we're already seeing it with DMB and others? We'll look back and say, "Wow, what a great time to be alive and into rock music!"

Or maybe not and rock really is dead, and all we're doing is recycling the 60's and 70's all over again.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I agree with Jason 110%. But Im a 17 year old rebelious teen. :D Ive met Jackie O and she was really nice. She has been in the business really long and she knows her stuff, but if she couldnt take a little joke like that on the chin, well she leaves alot to be desired. Like Jason said, their fans are renound s**t stirrers and she should have known that things had a high chance of turning ugly. Jackie should have just smiled and walked off stage.

BUT that is one FUNNY interview :D

5. mingustoo

mingustoo

Aug 30, 2002
    Isla Formosa
    Ha Ha! what a great interview. And it sure showed who the idiots were-radio weenies.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Just to put this in perspective - the Kyle and Jackie O show is one of the highest rating music radio programs in the country at the moment. They're both mega celebrities and radio over here has more influence over wether or not a band makes it than any other media. It took a lot of guts to burn that bridge........

Did anyone hear about the incident between the same radio station and "The Vines". That one was even funnier. The station spent years ramming that band down our throats and proclaiming as the saviours of rock and roll while everyone who knows anything about music knew they were absolutely crap. I'm not quite sure exactly what happened but it was another gig that went pear shaped, and suddenly, the radio station is openly trying to bury that band as well, and so far it's working.

So I guess 2MMM get a bit of a big head and start believing they can bury any band they want? Well done Frenzal Rhomb for bringing them back to earth!

7. khay0s

khay0s Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Holy ****! That is totally disgusting! I used to be a heavy MMM fan and to be honest, while I find Frenzal to be catchy, I'm not lining up to buy any of their cds. But after hearing how pathetic Jackie O really is, how stupid Kyle is and how childish the whole Austereo network is, I am going to do my utmost to avoid them and make sure everyone around me does too. Firstly, not only did their attempt to shame, embarrass or show up Jay fail miserably, but they came out looking like such weak and precious little babies. I can't believe that people in show business in this day and age could be so precious that they couldn't handle someone saying "f*** -insert name-".

She showed up late and tried to cut in before someone was starting their set. All she has thought about is what happened to her. She obviously has not even considered how her coming on to say her "few words" was going to impact the band or anyone else. As implied by Jay, no one wanted to hear what she had to say. No one cared. They wanted to hear Frenzal. The band wanted to play after having already having to cut their setlist short. Had Jackie O been to BDO 2000 when Frenzal weren't able to play, she would have seen what their fans get like when angry. Lets just say it ain't pretty. She should be thankful they started when they did.

Lets not forget that bands like them also have an image that they have to uphold. Besides having the 'rebel' image, they have a point. Where are Bardot and Scandl'us (or whatever they were called)? Millsy has been a big flop so far as well. Just goes to show no matter how much they try to promote talentless ****, we still seem to filter a lot of it out. Thankfully. Considering that I can sing as well as Millsy (Robert Mills, Australian Idol Finalist) and that is by no means a compliment to either of us.

Leigh

8. chips

chips Guest

aahhhhh... you've gotta love the antics of frenzal and their funny catchy lil songs:) Anyone who has any idea of what frenzal are like would have to expect that. These are a bunch of pot smoking p!ss-heads who got bashed by the wu-tang clan coz Jason called them a bunch of c***s, and got sued by russel crowe for their song about his band and all the other crap they get up to. Good on 'em, power to frenzal... DEATH TO JACKIE O! :bassist:

peace,
    chips

9. screwball

screwball Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    That's the funniest interview i've ever heard. I saw Frenzal Rhomb supporting the Dropkick Murphys at the Astoria, and i liked them (especially the Russell Crowe song)

Kyle and Jackie O sound like such pathetic whining chumps

10. wolfhound

wolfhound Guest

Jun 16, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Just an update to this story...

The ABC show Media Watch has just done a report on this. They had footage of the incident and played part of the radio interview. They really had a go at Jackie O and Kyle, highlighting the threats of violence against Frenzal and the threats to bury the band.

Media Watch contacted the management of Austereo who said that their radio presenters did NOT have the right to ban bands from being played. They also played one of Kyle's "Scam a celebrity" prank phone calls where they rang up singer Katie Underwood pretending to be the thief who had burgled her house, demanding $15,000 for some private photos!

Media Watch is replayed tomorrow (Tuesday ) at 1.45pm for any Australians who are interested. It is also available for download at Media Watch, although this weeks show may not be available until Tuesday.

11. khay0s

khay0s Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Thank you so much for the update! :)

12. An australian radio station can't bury an american band :spit:

Not a big frenzal rhomb fan myself, but they're on Fat Wreck Chords. So kudos to them.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    American? Don't you go stealing our bands now :)

14. They're aussie? Well, they sound quite americanized, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're bigger over here than down there.

15. Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Pop-punk isn't just an american thing you know. ;) Fat has bands from all over on them, Frenzal from (of course) Australia, Wizo from Germany, even bands from Canada. :eek:

That's the tooth.

16. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

where is Unharmed when you need a really bodgy
    opinion ...

;)

benji, we love you check in soon ...

O

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    They are indeed more popular in the states. Their bass player (though I'm not sure if he's past or present) moonlights at a reputable Bass store in Sydney, ..... Nice guy. From speaking to him it seems they spend a fair bit of time gigging in the states. He loves it except that he doesn't particularly like Ampeg, yet he is often forced to play through them. He's more of a Henry 8x8 kinda guy, usually using 2 of them with not very many watts, but I can't remember exactly wether it was 200w or 300w. I haven't been into the store recently but next time I go there, I'll ask him for his take on this........