Garry Gary Beers -- anyone knows what this bass is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roller, Mar 20, 2020.

1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Happened to stumble upon this photo of Garry tonight as I'm watching the INXS concert from '91 on Audience channel (good stuff... check it out if you can)... and merely curious what the bass is in this photo. Thanks! Stay safe, everyone!

Garry_Beers_photo.JPG

31HZ, Supadope and flatwound62p like this.
  2. Australian built Maton. Been around as a company since the 60s I think. Tommy Emmanuel plays their acoustics. All I got. Never touched one in person.

petch, mikezimmerman, Giffro and 4 others like this.
  3. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yup, think you're right... headstock logo looks similar. Gracias!

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 11.17.35 PM.png

The Owl, flatwound62p and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. flatwound62p

flatwound62p

Apr 24, 2017
    Australia
  5. These are extremely good basses. The original JB IVs had Di Marzio PJ Pickups with the J slightly closer to the bridge, a la 70's jazz. I've played one and they sound great. Deep growl with both pickups on.

RedVee, J33, Frunobulax and 1 other person like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    An excellent and very underrated bassist.

7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax Guest

Apr 21, 2020
    I recently bought the reissue JB4. Brilliant bass.
    I hope this link opens up for you.

Giffro, The Owl and JimmyM like this.
  8. I recently picked up INXS' "Live Baby Live" DVD in 4k, and it's awesome! I totally recommend, what a great rock and roll band.

churchofamon and B-Mac like this.
  9. garrybeers

garrybeers

Oct 1, 2021
    Hey there, it's me, Garry Gary. I just noticed this thread..
    The bass in the pic is my custom made Maton MGB4- they were a little less rounded than the JB4. I had them make a very thin contoured body from solid Western Red Cedar in 84 or so. I had them do the ebony neck with rosewood fret inlays so I could cheat with lines that only I could see.. It had Italian pickups originally, I now have my own patented pickups in it. An amazing feeling bass, it's sitting next to me as I type actually. I used it a lot in the studio with my side band Absent Friends and other sessions back in the day.....GGB thumbnail-1.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail-2.jpg

10. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Reason 257 for loving TB.

11. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Legend.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow! I just saw this. Thank you for taking the time! I've been a fan of your work for years! Could you tell us a little more about your pickups?

darthplagis and TN WOODMAN like this.
  13. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    big GGB fan, saw INXS in DC headlining the HFStival at RFK

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  14. garrybeers

garrybeers

Oct 1, 2021
    Yep, we played everywhere in the known world.. and I loved every minute of it. Probably a little too much in fact..

re my pickups. I've had the patent for 4 years or so and had some made for my personal use but am now looking to sell them in my custom GGB handmade basses..
    The pickups are passive- one pickup with 4 separate coils which in conjunction with the custom controls I designed (also patented) so you can get split humbucker - reverse split humbucker - full humbucker - and 2 different single coil sounds, plus variations in between all this with a balance control. Basically it gets a lot of very usable sounds from one passive pickup. I have them in 4 and 5 string pickup. The 5 string is great as you can get a real split humbucker sound from a low B and still get a great music man style humbucker sound- and did I mention it's passive !! The output and sound of the basic pickup is copied from my INXS 58 P.bass- "old Faithful".
    My GGB basses are my babies I have been building for a few years now- also based on old Faithful 58 re the feel, weight etc..
    I have them reliced to look as old as I am. They are pretty freaking good if I do say so myself.
    I am currently setting up a website for the basses and building a new batch built to sell. I'll be posting videos and sound bytes etc. There's a facebook page in the meantime. GGBbasses facebook - and you can also see and hear them with my new band AshenMoon. https://www.ashenmoonmusic.com/. New album coming out next year. All I used on the record are my basses. They record perfectly.. Needless to say I am pretty happy with them ..
    Stay safe all...
    GGB

DB970C15-A8EA-4247-9707-80B82B302F33_1_105_c.jpeg 48CC6F39-E750-4576-A9B3-4A94096B0F0F_1_105_c.jpeg DB888674-6F2C-416E-9538-5A774E6A3BFF_1_105_c.jpeg E4F78CC5-28B0-470A-AF4A-21404ADE2D62_1_105_c.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. Garry

Always loved your work mate :)

Arthur U. Poon and TN WOODMAN like this.
  16. garrybeers

garrybeers

Oct 1, 2021
    Well thank you..
    TBH I feel like I'm playing better than ever now- the new band is written and produced by myself and my singer Toby Rand so it's probably the most personal musical statement I've made.. shag I love playing loud..
    GGB DED27989-9C4C-47E7-8258-FAF8F3D99C0C.jpeg DBAB0F24-79CF-4353-8356-A53F88FB3FE5.jpeg 93A62C42-1475-491B-897B-F38B91F8CEA1.jpeg

Attached Files:

petch, B-Mac, packhowitzer and 10 others like this.
  17. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Hi Garry, thanks for the history on your bass, I'd never heard that. I tried a couple of Matons back in the day, but for some reason never bought one and they never show up secondhand these days; Maton would probably sell out if they made a new batch today.

INXS were one of our local bands when I was growing up and my friends and I would talk our way into licensed venues and usually got away with it because we didn't drink and behaved - we just wanted to see the show. Life was simpler back then. Later my wife insisted on going to all of your gigs when you were back in town. You guys and Divinyls were her favourite local bands because of your stage performances.

When UTC came out we wagged the afternoon and got the first 3 copies in the area, at least that we knew of. I still have it in the rack.

I'm glad you stopped by and I'll look up your patent as the EE nerd in me likes to learn new things.

Arthur U. Poon and TN WOODMAN like this.
  18. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    Garry, it means a lot for you to check in here. I have been a fan for a long time. I still listen to INXS frequently. I will have to check out the new stuff.

petch and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. Matty Koff

Matty Koff Inactive

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    As a child of the 80's the mention of INXS takes me back in time. How cool is it that the man himself revived this thread to answer a question about his gear? Thank you for your contribution Mr. Beers.

20. garrybeers

garrybeers

Oct 1, 2021
    Maton were going to re-release the JB4 and reached out to me 6-7 years ago to endorse it and we discussed putting my pickups in it. It never progressed and I just looked at their website and there are no basses. They should make a sweet semi acoustic bass like a Gibson Les Paul signature bass.