George Tucker

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by violinoscar, Nov 15, 2006.

1. I have just aquired an amazing dvd of Earl Hines, George Tucker, Oliver Jackson and Coleman Hawkins. It was recorded in the 60's I think. Anyway, I was really impressed with George Tucker, have done a search on him (found plenty of recording credits but no bio), on both the net and this site. Can anyone tell me anything about this man? I am not very well informed on the who's who of DB outside of Ron Carter, Ray Brown etc. Is George Tucker a highly regarded player? If so, why is there so little about him on the net?

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Mr. Tucker plays on one of my all-time favorite "sleeper" discs, Jaki Byard's Live!! at Lennie's On the Turnpike. He's keeping company with Jaki, Joe Farrell and Alan Dawson. That record swings so hard . . .

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Man, both of those Jaki discs at Lennie are just incredible.

George Tucker plays his @ss off on those.

lurk likes this.
  5. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Not to mention an Illinois Jacquet date with Alan Dawson and Barry Harris also live from Lennie's called "Bottoms Up".

6. Mark Carlsen

Mark Carlsen Guest

Oct 4, 2004
    Tewksbury,Mass.
    Check out a Zoot side w.Dave McKenna and Dannie Richman on drums playing more trad type tunes.Can't remember the albums name...Marshall ??:help:
    Update: The Zoot album is called " Down Home " and was recorded in 1960. Any relation between George and Ben Tucker ?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Other than they both played bass, nope. Ben is still living and gigging down around Savannah.

8. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Ben Tucker could play very good arco, and on a Kay! I have the Mosaic Curtis Fuller box and from that it is really clear that he was a very accomplished musician.

9. I came across George Tucker's playing on the Stanley Turrentine record, "Look Out!"

I particularly appreciate the amount of space and bluesy-ness Tucker applies to his solo on 'Yesterdays'.

It sounds like a good candidate for a quick transcription. Got to get through some others on my list first.

10. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    So did Slam Stewart.

I remember hearing Marshall Hawkins solo be bop ala arco on his Kay M-1 a couple of times when/while Richie Cole left the stage to powder his nose. Like Ben, Marshall is another lesser known great.

11. analog_freak

analog_freak Guest

Jan 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    George Tucker does an awesome job on the Walt Dickerson albums "To My Queen" and "Unity". He and Walt interact so beautifully especially on the title tracks of each album. Andrew Cyrille plays drums on both.

12. Also check Tucker out on Freddie Redd's San Francisco Suite...an undersung pianist from the heyday. Tucker's also on a bunch of Horace Parlan sides from the 50's and I can't think of what other gems

dhm likes this.
  13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Was listening to Booker Irvin's "That's It" this morning and decided I needed to check out more George Tucker sides.

dhm, Monte and MR PC like this.
  14. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    GT

george tucker.jpg

15. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas

Great opening solo from George Tucker.

834federal likes this.
  16. Emoody

Emoody Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Switzerland
  17. lurk

lurk Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    Amazing recordings. Two of my favorite records have the most spectacularly out of tune pianos ever on a commercially released recording. These and the Eric Dolphy Five Spot stuff. Both pianists (Mal Waldron with Dolphy) play with great exuberance anyway.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  18. 834federal

834federal David Brodie

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia
    Great bassist. I think he played a ton with Horace Parlan's trio in the 60's. He's on "Doin' Alright", the great Dexter Gordon recording. I've always thought his sound was outrageous.

dhm likes this.
  19. Covb

Covb

Oct 6, 2019
    I too admire this bassist so much that I made up my mind to purchase my own double bass to transcribe his forcible and intellectual playings.

Especially in major recordings, his name is first seen in the credit of Clifford Jordan's "Cliff Craft(1957)" from Bluenote. And this is probably his very first career as a pro bassist. And in around 1961 he formed a group called "The Play House Four" with his most acquainted musicians:Harace Parlan(p),
    Al Harewood(ds), Booker Ervin(ts). I think this is one of the finest time in his career. In 1963 He joined Lambert,Hendricks&Bavan's group and also recorded several great playings with them there.
    /Go check out "Jazz Casual" in 1963

I have no idea why he is so underrated with such crazy-grooving sound, he is difinitely one of the best jazz bassist of all time.

jazzizded and dhm like this.
  20. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Clifford Jordan album called "Cliff Craff" (w/ Art Farmer, Sonny Clark, Louis Hayes) that George Tucker's on, and boy, does it swing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    jazzizded and Ed Fuqua like this.