Graphite Neck on a P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basic Lee, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Basic Lee

Basic Lee

Feb 3, 2020
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a graphite neck on a P bass ? Are they worth the investment?

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The idea is they're less susceptible to weather related changes and are generally more stable right? I'm pretty sure that's it. They look cool. They're expensive. I had a Status neck on a jazz body. It was fine.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    The tone will be a little different. It’s also worth mentioning that the feel is going to be different. Obviously wood is much softer. You may notice the difference. I have a Status on one of my Stingrays. Great neck. Different tone. Different feel.

Basic Lee, mdalamond and shojii like this.
  4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Stay in tune longer because of less movement with temp and humidity, stability. No disadvantages I see (I own 3 CF instruments) and definitely worth the money especially if it's a Status neck.

mdalamond, Basic Lee and shojii like this.
  5. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i wouldn't expect much tonal difference. if your wood neck is straight, and suits your hands, don't bother.
    that being said, i have a P with a Modulus neck. it's an old one, around 1980. very slim, with a rosewood
    board, which is rare. it stays in tune all night long, and for that reason i have ordered a
    hipshot drop tuner for it lol.
    this bass has a Duncan PB1 vintage, which i really like. its me only fretted PBass

[skyraider] and Basic Lee like this.
  6. Basic Lee

Basic Lee

Feb 3, 2020
    I have a Roasted Maple neck on my P bass right now. Kinda the same theory. No moisture, moves less and lighter than a normal neck. I love the way it looks, think I’ll keep it as is. I appreciate all the feedback.
    Oh, I’ve ordered the SD PB-1 pickups. Love that vintage sound. LaBella Deep talking strings help with that too.

7. A bit like putting forged magnesium wheels with racing slicks on an old jalopy, it will be a significant upgrade to one specific part of the machine. The question remains whether or not the shortcomings of the rest of it will mean it's a waste of a good neck or not.

jellymax likes this.
  8. marchone

marchone Since 1951

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC/NYS
    Status Graphite necks are not available now and they are not taking orders till further notice.

9. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Not, CF is a lot more rigid than maple, roasted or not.

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    With the caveat that I've not played a P with a graphite neck, all the graphite necked basses I've played seem to have a snappier tone than maple. This may or may not be a good thing. The stability is definitely a good thing, although TBH none of my basses have any stability issues apart from seasonal changes

Basic Lee likes this.
  11. I have two basses with status necks. A Stingray and a Jazz bass. The above statements are all spot on. I will add that they do change to tone. For me the change was a good thing. I would describe the change as making them sound more even, and high tech sounding. I am not a guy who goes looking for dead spots or even notices them on a bass, but the Status necks seem to make them disappear. All the notes low to high ring out true, accurate, and even.

They are spendy but when you see and feel one up close they are beautifully made.

Basic Lee and mdalamond like this.
  12. Basic Lee

Basic Lee

Feb 3, 2020
    So, my P bass is a jalopy?

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  13. Basic Lee

Basic Lee

Feb 3, 2020
    Still same theory. Roasted necks are lighter and more rigid than non-roasted and don’t move like non-roasted.

14. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Not really. The moisture content on instrument grade wood is pretty low and the differences in final weight nominal at best.

If you have evidence of this in terms of improved elastic modulus, I'd like to see it. Meant as to learn, not as a challenge. I've just not seen it.

That seems to be the case.
    It's also more brittle too according to those who use it.

15. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i have one bass with a carbon neck. it is the only bass of mine with no dead spots. to bad somebody like warmoth does not offer carbon necks.

16. Basic Lee

Basic Lee

Feb 3, 2020
    It is the same “general” theory. Wasn’t comparing a roasted to graphite. That’s comparing apples to oranges. Both are lighter (let’s not get lost in bs details). Both are more rigid than non-roasted. Both are more brittle. Graphite may be stronger.

jshinal likes this.
  17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Graphite has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than wood - it moves more with temperature. But steel moves more than wood or graphite, which makes graphite a little better matched to the expansion of your strings (but not much).

18. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    In which specific layups? They can vary an enormous amount between them and the types of resins used etc. None of my CF instruments move anywhere near as much as my wooden ones in the same conditions.

deff likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    There is a range - about 2:1 from the data, but wood moves less along the grain length than that range. Humidity is what moves wood, temperature is less of an issue.

A roasted neck (torrefaction helps considerably with the movement from humidity changes) may move less overall than graphite; I don’t know where to find that data. Graphite fibers are “highly roasted” - carbon molecular chains are part of what makes wood stiff along its grain. Wood is a bunch of organic (containing a lot of carbon) fibers glued together with lignin as the glue, graphite composite uses epoxy or polyester resin to glue the fibers together. The two materials are more alike than you might think. Wood has all its fibers oriented in the right direction, which is something you don’t get with woven graphite.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  20. [skyraider]

[skyraider] Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2014
    If the fingerboard is also graphite you shouldn't have to worry about fret sprout; one of my pet peeves.

I love the stability of a graphite neck. Although I am skeptical it would change the tone. I wish there were more people making them.