Great Bass Lines Not Recorded on Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I'm nitpicking here... but Bobby's voice is an instrument. :ninja:

And my bandmates will tell you... MY voice is definitely NOT an instrument.

2. Here is Pino with a great example of synth (sound) bass played on real bass!

:bag:

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm not gonna read through all five pages of posts to see if this question has been posed yet, but...

...by "bass", do you mean bass guitar specifically? The reason I ask is there are a number of instruments that could be thought of as "bass" - speaking functionally, not necessarily structurally.

If so, Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" is a great bass line played by JPJ on bass synth, while Tony Levin has played all kinds of great bass lines (i.e. "Big Time", "Sledgehammer" for Peter Gabriel, "Elephant Talk", "Sartori in Tangier" for King Crimson, etc.) on the Chapman Stick.

I'm sure some classic lines have been played on Taurus pedals too, but just can't think of one offhand (Rush?)...

MM

4. midbass

midbass

Jun 10, 2008
    Haha, I much prefer the usage of real bass when possible. I think if there's a certain sound that you want that could only be done with a synth, then fine, do it. But just to save money?? :(

Is it fair to say that there is a real parallel in the drum world with real drums vs. drum machines? If you have music with basic, repetitive drum beats, could it be justified to have a session guy come in and drum away nonstop? N'Dugu Chancler did that for Billie Jean, but Quincy and those guys are in another league from most producers today. :)

Anyways, funny thing is I recall seeing something worse than using a synth bass for a bassline....and that is, using a LOW PASS FILTER to create a bassline!

The producer for one of Jay Z's early hits "Dead Presidents" didn't have access to any kind of bass/synth player so he used the same sample with the LPF just to capture the bass line, lol.

Could one of you compose a bassline to this, and make it right:

5. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend Guest

Dec 13, 2008
    taking the piss? muse is a three piece so the bassist is a pretty
    big part lol; tone is just processed

6. gonzilla

gonzilla Guest

Jan 26, 2009
    Justice - D.A.N.C.E.

7. tabitha

tabitha Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah, apparently he's toured as a stand-up, talking about the bands he's played with, etc - random, lol!

Interesting though - he must have some amazing stories... I found an interview of him talking about it - so funny:

http://www.t5m.com/guy-pratt/

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Flashlight by Parliament / Funkadelic

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I thought Sledgehammer was played on bass.

10. jberg87

jberg87 Guest

Apr 14, 2009
    I was listening to Alphaville last night and found this gem of a bass line. It may not be the most exciting, but it's pretty in your face and very fun when there are two lines going back and forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wq2Lmv0Ars

11. diglo

diglo

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    True Fact: That's my ex-wife, Wondress, singing on Mantronix-Gotta Have Your Love!DWBass that use to be my joint back in the day. Mantronik was 808 boomin' and hi hat rolling before Lil Jon and Soulja Boy. That was real hip-hop!
    My bad, got caught up in the moment. Bassline............."Cutie Pie" by One Way featuring Al Hudson.

13. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Run, do not walk, out to get a copy of Henry Threadgill's Too Much Sugar For A Dime album. The opening track "Little Pocket Size Demons" has an absolutely ferocious bass line, just a killer raging groove, played by

Tubas.

Not one tuba, but two tubas. It will blow yer mind.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    The end riff on "Gettin' High" by Gino Vanelli.