Great metal bass players...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Whiplash71, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm not buying Frank Bello being a mini Steve Harris. He's too sloppy and runs all over the place. Steve Harris is more of a straight ahead speed player.

Rage Against The Machine is very thrash metal. So I'll add Tim Commerford. Some of John Myung's stuff is really boring but the guy is a monster player and Dream Theater is a prog metal band, so he's up there as well.

Art Damage likes this.
  2. That's who I was going to nominate. That guy is just a fantastic musician all around.

3. I love Commerford's style. Another favorite as many others have said would be Justin Chancellor. I listen to a ton of "metal", but definitely more on the extreme/death/grindcore side of things, and for the most part the bassists are forgettable, or at least don't stand out enough through the mix that I consciously pay attention to them.

The bassist for Fear Before the March of Flames, Michael Madruga, was always a favorite of mine too, he rocked a Jazz bass, monster tone and some interesting lines IMO.

4. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Great idea for a thread , off the top of my head

Steve Harris - Iron Maiden , great player , without his basslines Maiden would sound kind of empty
    Alex Webster - Cannibal Corpse - Great player , very inventive given the constraints of the genre, great tone that cuts through despite not being particularly loud in the mix
    Cliff Burton - Metallica - Great lead bass kind of style, some great inventive parts (the intro part on for whom the bell tolls for example) the isolated bass track for Fight fire with fire is awesome, a real shame he was always buried in the mix
    Jason Newsted - Metallica - Great player, again a real shame Metallica decided to bury him in the mix
    Frank Bello - Anthrax - Good ballsy bass playing , love his tone
    Steve DiGiorgio - Various metal bands - Just a good, solid player, knows when to hold back and when to let loose
    Paulo Jr. - Sepultura - not often mentioned but I really like his bass work, not overly flashy but just solid bass playing with a good ballsy tone
    Peter Iwers - In flames

DocShocker and byoung93888 like this.
  5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm going to throw out some of the names already mentioned:
    Geezer, Steve Harris, Jimmy Bain, Justin Chancellor (metal-ish), Joe Lester of Intronaut, Martin Mendez of Opeth, Cliff Burton (although I'm wary of putting accolades on dead people; we make idols out of them because they never had a chance to release something bad,) Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, and Frank Bello just because I was a big Anthrax fan in the 80s.

Names not yet mentioned:
    Jon Stockman of Karnivool
    Nick Schendzielos (Cephalic Carnage, Job for a Cowboy, Havok)
    Ryan Martinie
    Jeroen Paul Thesseling (stopped playing metal, but his two albums with Obscura are awesome)
    Brody Uttley of Rivers of Nihil
    Alex Numason of Vintage Caravan
    Leo Smee formally of Cathedral, live player for With the Dead (solid grooves and I dig his tone)
    Billy Gould of Faith No More (metal-ish)
    Derek Boyer of Suffocation

A.K., byoung93888 and Bassdirty like this.
  6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1
    Finally some (overdue, imo) mention of ryan martinie.
    :)

socialleper likes this.
  7. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    didn't notice dan briggs anywhere yet. he is great, fun to watch.

8. Richaf66

Richaf66 Guest

Apr 15, 2017
    Litchfeild County, CT
    Another obscure honorable mention is Michael "Flint" Vujea from Cirith Ungol. Very solid on the "King Of The Dead" lp (1984) with some cool lines.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    gebass6 likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Roger Glover & Geddy Lee getting mentioned has amused me. I'm surprised no one offered John Paul Jones :smug:

it's a shame this guy didn't get to shine in Metallica:

newsted1.jpg

none of the players mentioned are actually made of metal, all flesh & bone

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  10. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I though OHM was Fusion.
    Or does Pag also play in a Metal band?

11. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Steve Harris because Run To The Hills made me want to play bass in the first place!

Frank Bello who makes bass look fun and he's so energetic. I think he's great!

D.D. Verni because he killed it on Under The Influence, Years Of Decay (My fave) and Horrorscope.

I've got to give it up for Tom Araya for Hell Awaits. The best of the early Slayer stuff where the bass is mixed clearly.

fretter likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Steve Dawson formerly of Saxon was great.

He's still rockin' with Oliver Dawson Saxon:

Richaf66 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  13. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot Cant hold no groove if you aint got no pocket

Nov 18, 2007
    Lake Worth Florida
    Joey Vera from Armored Saint and Fates Warning

14. Richaf66

Richaf66 Guest

Apr 15, 2017
    Litchfeild County, CT
    Hell yeah! Great band overall. I'm not to sure about the "No Biff" version, though.

Squittolo and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I finally listened to Damnation after all these years and I was surprised at how much I liked it. There are some nice bass lines on there. I can't really hear Mendez on the other pre-Heritage stuff.

I'm a big fan of Steve DiGiorgio's sound on that first Autopsy album. I'm easy to please. I'm a fan of any Metal bassist I can actually hear.

Richaf66 likes this.
  16. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't see Geddy Lee at all as a metal player, but you don't listen to Glover on "Fireball" or "Machine Head" and recognize some early heavy metal when you hear it?

Savagehenry, Atshen and Gluvhand like this.
  17. osv

osv

Dec 1, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI

Felipe Andreoli

18. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    It's the best lineup the "no Biff" version's had, in my opinion. At least this vocalist somewhat sounds like Biff, unlike the first one who was more glam.

Richaf66 likes this.
  19. Obligatory "Victor Wooten is great" comment.

20. Richaf66

Richaf66 Guest

Apr 15, 2017
    Litchfeild County, CT
    I hear where you are coming from. It's just very hard for me to warm up to other vocalists taking the place of a vocalist that is so unique to the sound of that band. It's kind of like if Motorhead decided to go on w/o Lemmy. It didn't work out too well for Exciter when they went on with other vocalists and Venom (Inc) with no Cronos. Maybe I'm too picky or just a creature of habit?!

fretter likes this.