Heavy with no guitars

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Nov 3, 2005.

1. page

page Guest

Dec 18, 2004
    florence , mississippi
    Ok, Im looking for bands that are heavy, immense, intense , epic , a punch in the balls , and don't use any guitars(excluding bass)

Example - Emerson Lake and Palmer- in my opinion heaviest band of the 70s and early 80s simply because of the sheer intensity and hugeness.

- Benevento Russo - can get pretty epic and intense as well

I need more of these bands! Please include a link if you can. Thanks

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Oh My God has a killer sound for a pop band with no guitars. Trust me on this one. http://www.ohmygodmusic.com/omg.html

Om. Al Cisneros' band after Sleep.

Big Business. Bass and Drums. Like a much heavier DFA1979 minus the falsetto vocals and cheese drumming. If I was still in Jacktown I'd let you borrow my vinyl of "Head for the Shallow."

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    ELP used plenty of guitars.

Triumvirat from Germany was a good band in the ELP vein.

4. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow... I thought that I was the only person in Florida who had ever heard of Triumvirat. They were (are?) awesome. :bassist:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Gotta give it up for Clatter. The rig switching is too cool. She can sound like bass and guitar and keys at the same time.

Thrones: Ex Melvins/Current High on Fire bassist's Joe Preston's solo insanity. Some of the weirdest music I've ever heard is his album "Sperm Whale." Really cool tunes. I love it when he sings through a ring mod too. Takes advantage of fake drums and makes them sound really cool.

Lightning Bolt: I have no idea how to describe this band. Really weird. Not overly my cup of tea. Pretty good sometimes.

6. Lightning Bolt definately, they can get agressively heavy.

Skum Jesus likes this.
  7. Tash

Tash Guest

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    There is a black metal band called Summoning that released an album a while ago with no guitars on it. Its just drums and synth but it still has all the energy and heaviness you'd expect of a black metal band. Really cool, unfortuneatly I've forgotten which of their albums this is.

8. well, my group Naked Jungle gets into some pretty heavy odd stuff sometimes without any guitars......but its not always heavy.

(sorry for the self promotion but....)

9. narcopolo

narcopolo Guest

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    thunderbolt will blow your mind

10. narcopolo

narcopolo Guest

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i meant to say lightning bolt.
    and i was beaten to it.

11. wormwood!!
    two bass players a two drummers and keys/synth.

12. page

page Guest

Dec 18, 2004
    florence , mississippi

Yeah, but live and on Karn Evil 9 , the guitars are rare, mostly Emerson rock his ass off.

13. Niacin does a jazz rock thing with no guitar B-3, bass and heavy funky drums. Billy Sheehan on bass and usually Dennis Chambers on drums.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Watt's latest album is awesome. Secondman's Middle Stand... crazy good.

15. The Sporting Life, by Diamanda Galas and John Paul Jones.

16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    She is UNBELIEVABLE!!!..... :hyper: She also sings while playing stuff in bizarre time sigs too.....

17. i'm pretty sure there's a band called Pale Horse who had two bass players and no geetars. i think they go for the absolutely crushingly heavy doom groove thing :)

18. I was just about to mention Pale Horse actually, they're heavy as hell.

19. stompfrog

stompfrog Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Reading, England
    cant believe that no on mentioned "death from above 1979"

20. Grimlock

Grimlock Guest

+1 for Death from Above!
    +1 for Lightining Bolt!!
    +1 for Om!!!

I actually saw Om 2 nights ago at a Music Festival here in Toronto, and they were nuts. Here's what gear Al had on stage:

Jack 1 -> MXR Distortion -> Ampeg Head (I think it was a 450!)
    Jack 2 -> Boss Chromatic Tuner -> Morley A/B Switch; (Both A and B were ON!!)
    A: -> Marshall JCM 2000 head!!!
    B: -> Boss Distortion DS-1 -> Marshall JCM 2000 head!!!!

I didn't see how he had the heads hooked up, but he had THREE Marshall 4 x 12 Half Stacks and TWO Ampeg SVT 810s on STAGE!!!!!

...and the venue was a chapel, about 8 yards x 12 yards!!!!!!

MY EARS ARE STILL RINGING!!!!!!!