I can't find a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kaboom133, Dec 21, 2004.

1. kaboom133

kaboom133 Guest

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I don't even know where to begin, I would love to take lessons as I feel I've hit a wall, but I don't even know where to begin looking. Any suggestions of where to look for a good teacher/lessons?

2. I met one of my teachers while looking at basses in a music store and he is a better teacher than anyone I can imagine, so music stores are often good places to look. Look for their cards and give them a call to find out their teaching style and figure out how much they know. I don't know how populated your area is, but if it's a suburb or city you will be able to look around and see if the teacher is right for you and pick and choose (in my opinion a bad teacher is worse than no teacher). Music stores is where I'd look first, if you don't know anybody else who plays bass in the area. The other thing you might be able to do if you have another friend who takes lessons on another instrument ask their teacher if they know any bass teachers.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You could ask your local school music teachers for references. You could also check your phone book and see if there are any instructional studios (vocal, dance, instruments) in the area. Before I started taking lessons at one I had no idea these even existed, but there seem to be a few in my area.

Or hit up jazz bassists in the local clubs for references.

Also, you can search for teachers right here at Talkbass.

[edit]
    I did a member search here and 6 members are listed as available for instruction in PA. Not being from PA however I don't know how close any of those people are to you.

To do this search, click "Members List" at the top of a Talkbass page. Click "Search Members", then click "Advanced Search". On the next page, scroll down until you find the "Available for instruction:" field. Then click the drop-down, select "Pennsylvania". Lastly, click the "Search Now" button on the bottom of the page. This will bring back the list of 6 members available for teaching in PA.

Hope this helps. :)

4. kaboom133

kaboom133 Guest

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try those out and see how they work.