i fell in love with this PJ bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Jun 2, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    fenderPJ.png

i tried this at GC a couple weeks ago, and wow! it's a great version of seafoam green, it has a P body and a jazz neck and it sounded incredible to my ears. just wonderful. oh, did i mention the full gloss neck? i don't always like a full gloss neck, but i often do. it felt great. tried it through a few combos, 1 head and some cabs, and it was love...

oddly it was also more comfortable for my right shoulder than the smaller fender mustang.

alas, did i also mention i've pretty much gone through my music budget for the time being? :( maybe it's time to sell a couple things. i'll go visit it again and decide.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-PJ-Bass-Sea-Foam-Pearl-1365435327256.gc

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That bass got a lot of love around here when it first came out. Hope you're able to snag one!

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You've checked so many boxes off, I'm thinking it's already ordered... ;).

4. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    I had one of those and really liked it. Musician's friend frequently has some sort of deal for the seafoam green ones.

MadCow217 and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I hope you can grab this. Like @Spidey2112 said, checks a lot of boxes. Maybe get creative in funding, dare I say credit, with a promise to burn it off in short order? If you wait, it may be lost?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    And we really don't want to see that thread pop up...

... Muahahaha, enablers! One and all!

7. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    :laugh::bassist:

Pbassmanca and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

32gr1f.jpg

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    The world's most interesting bass...

10. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I’m pretty sure the layaway is fully refundable

Blankandson, Pbassmanca and pcake like this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Get it if you love the both - sound and design.

Pbassmanca and pcake like this.
  12. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Yeah @pcake our GC had a couple of those, they were both great. The necks did feel quite good. I loved the bound & blocked look, too. Paired well with SF green

Simon Fretless, Pbassmanca and pcake like this.
  13. My buddy in California bought one a year ago. He absolutely loves it. Good luck with the purchase. Wait a minute... don’t wait! Order it as soon as you’re done reading this (if you haven’t already) :thumbsup:

14. I have one of these in the discontinued black and tort as my main bass these days. I'll admit that what initially attracted me was the look, but the sound of the split coil sealed the deal, which is a bit more on the aggressive end. Combined with the high mass bridge it's great for more aggressive styles with a bit more high end attack than typical, especially if you dial in some of the bridge pickup. I did spend a bit to get the fret ends rounded, which is a common complaint for people with this bass, as it seems to be a step in production Fender opted to skip to save some coin. I wouldn't pay the full 900 for one, but used or on sale it's a good bass. I see one on GC used for a bit under 600.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Definitely one of my favorite Fenders.
    Don't forget, 15% off at GC.

16. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    Yes! I played one at GC Nashville a couple years ago. I still think about it to this day I was so impressed. How many times has that ever happened? Zero. Best sounding bass I’ve ever played and was shocked at the price. I regret not buying it.

uelliv, Pbassmanca and pcake like this.
  17. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Had one and returned it after a few days, just couldn’t dial in a tone I liked. The pickups are awful IMO. Dull and thumpy with zero articulation, even with a fresh set of wounds. Didn’t want to go down the rabbit hole of swapping pickups. Didn’t like the gloss neck either, too sticky. Some seem to like it though.

flip18436572, enewbold and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think you need to meditate on this for a while, before pulling the trigger on that...

[​IMG]

You're welcome :)!

uelliv, NePb, Pbassmanca and 6 others like this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    One of the many reasons my opinion is always the most important, whenever I'm buying a bass :).

Duder, Pbassmanca, Wisebass and 5 others like this.
  20. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue Guest

Sep 29, 2018
    You’ve got to average the reviews. 90% good, 10% bad.....

The dudes review of it being thumpy is accurate, and is one of the things I liked about it. Thumpy with excellent bloom sounds about right.