I finally met a TB'er in the flesh

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, May 26, 2003.

1. When I was in UK last week, I met Bruce Lindfield..drank and ate Greek food with him.

We had arranged to meet in a pub which, it turned out, did not exist anymore having closed down a couple of years earlier (I had not been in London for three years). Bruce found he had some time to kill, so wandered off and bought himself a Lakland...seems normal.

It's good to be able to put a face to a name...I look forawd to meeting lots of other people sometime...Bruce is only the second person met on the net that I have also met in person...

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, he had a post about this not to long ago, sounds great, I met a grip of Tb cats at the NAMM bass bash, which was fun. It's definitely nice to put a person behind all the words.

3. lump

lump Guest

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    32,000 members to choose from, and you get stuck with Bruce. I hope he bought dinner at least.

;) :D

4. jazzbo

jazzbo Guest

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    been on the boards for a long while now (dont worry, mods, the membership is coming!!), and stoopidly missed last year's Philly TB Blowout. :( but suddenly, i met a flurry of gents just within the past month.

two gents i met while selling my gear: Scotsman Dave Wilson to whom i sold my HBP-1 preamp, and Canadian Frank to whom went my iAMP350. and hung out with fellow New Yawker, Steve aka Devilman, at Nick Epifani's shop last week.

hopefully, with the 3 new groups i'm working with (yea, i'm a nut...:meh: ), i'll be able to meet s'more y'all when i start gigging again!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OMG!!!

7. ...the lump strikes again!

:eek:

A lump-ectomy?

...or a lump-otomy??

8. Chances are, I'll never meet a' one of you. Unless, of course, one of you lives within twenty miles of Greensboro, North Carolina. Which is doubtful.

9. Actually, you have ample opportunity I would imagine. There are a great many fans of the work of Keith Roscoe here on the boards, and his shop is in Greensboro. I know I'm planning a trip to visit him soon myself...

10. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I met this dude, I just do not know what is TB name is. He goes to my school.

11. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    dude, i didn't know fieldy is still in school

bobby

12. What's his service, and what's the name of the shop?

(God, I don't even know what he's talking about, and I live here! :confused: )

13. Whoops. Double-post.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    He lives around the corner from my school in some gated community

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Hi Andy - I did mention it in another thread. I used the Lakland on gigs in Sussex on Friday and Saturday night. I am really into it now - it has sort of renewed my intrest in BG after I was getting more into EUB.

It was a good thing I did buy it or you would never have spotted me in New Oxford Street in the rush hour!! ;)

Isn't it interesting how you can have a perfectly civil argument about Punk in Britain, in person, which would probably deteriorate rapidly around here!! :D

I think we share a sarcastic sense of humour which just doesn't come across on boards like this and whereas I go round thinking I am making jokes like in our conversation - people just don't 'get it' online?

16. I'm meeting somebody from TB tomorrow to trade effects. At least from what can be read on these forums, the people here are generally of a higher caliber than the rest of the population... Can I expect the same of them in the real world?

17. Good, good!
    Ha! No. Good point! Having aranged to meet Bruce in a non-existent pub, it seems fitting that I finally met him through guessing that the guy with a bass slung over his shoulder looking hesitant on the other side of a busy street might well be him!!
    Dunno. I can't recall any of our online discussions ever degenerating, Bruce! On the other hand, I was probably more polite in person because I hadn't realised how...er...big you are! :D
    Agreed
    I think it does..
    No, I think we get it because we are twisted by age and being from southern England...

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Probably right - I've said before I'm the Victor Meldrew of TB - but other people don't see the humour in these situations or get the cultural references.

So when I complain about kids playing with effects and dressing up as Goths, making horrible sounds out of basses, I am thinking of Victor Meldrew or John Cleese and to me it's funny - my life is sometimes like a situation comedy !

I saw a documentary on sitcoms and Caroline Quentin was saying that Brit sitcoms like "men Behaving Badly" are too realistic for the US - although it was pointed out that in real life nobody is scripting you, so - every third rejoinder is not a great joke and it's usually just boring sitting in the pub with your mates!! ;)

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Malthumb at a guitar show here in Detroit. He was the nicest guy. And, when he played, people paid attention. Too little time though.

20. I've met up with Parrot in Glasgow a while back. Only hung out for like an hour or so, not much time!

Great guy :)

*cleans mouth* :eek: