I modified my Ric! Whattaya think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I thought about getting that replacement ring for my Treble pickup as well, but just couldn't get into the look. Taking the cover off and having that huge hole in the bass just drives me nuts, so for the moment my Ric is stock with the cover on it and Ive adapted the best I could. I wish someone would make a chrome plate insert with an exact hole for the pickup in it to fit in the underside of the original pickup ring. Seems like I seen someone do that a while back with a piece from an old mirrored pickguard. If someone made a true Chrome one I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

John

2. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Still needs a bit of work but we're getting there. I made a delrin plastic insert that snaps into the original mounting ring. I need to make this insert from acrylic instead of Delrin. The acrylic will be nice and black and will take a good shine like the pickguard. Gotta use what's on hand when trying stuff out though huh?

So here's a sneak peek until I get some black acrylic...
    th_DSCN0984.gif th_DSCN0983.gif th_DSCN0981.gif th_DSCN0979.gif th_DSCN0976.gif

3. nipperooney

nipperooney

Jul 5, 2007
    I love it. To me the white make it look kinda cheap. Of course if it was black to start with and you changed it to white there'd be an equal number of people saying it looked better black!

Stunning bass - well done.

4. Woah... Thats starting to look good now :)

5. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Now thats what Im talking about!!!I actually think it looks good as is. If you happen to get tired of that insert, Id be willing to take it off your hands.... :ninja: I tried to make one yesterday myself, but Im lacking in the materials department at home. Plus Im not that good at making templates. There's several pieces of scrap stainless steel here at work that Im pondering as to whether or not to try to make one out of again if I can ever make a decent template. Anyway again that looks great!!

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I may make a big batch of these since I have it all worked out on the CNC. We'll see how she looks when I get a piece of acrylic in there.

7. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Cool, if you do make a batch, Id definitely buy one from ya!:smug:

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    If things work out like they should, I'll list them on the TalkBass bazaar and keep everything proper. ;)

9. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Not feelin the mods personally but hey, enjoy them:cool:

10. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.

Awesome Ill keep a look out for them!!

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "Black pickguards go with black trussrod covers as far as i can tell. "

Black pickguards and black truss rod covers go with black binding.

12. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

Already been discussed...

If you look through the sold Rics on Music-Connection's Ric page you can find at least an autumnglo 4001 (Maybe was a 4003) and two 4080's that have black trim and white binding. There are a couple jetglo's in there too but I can't see for sure if they are bound or not, the pics of those are too straight on. I'm sure the folks on the official Ric forum would have more info handy than anyone might actually need, but I haven't run it by them.

There is a Ric factory precedent for this color combo. Even if there weren't, I like it and it works for me =)

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    "Already been discussed..."

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you asked "Whattay think?"

14. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx

Nah, my mistake. I did want to know whatcha think and that's what I got. Thanks ;)

15. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    At first, when I read the topic, I thought it wasn't likely I'd like this thread, heh. However, that Ric is bad***!!! Nice work, although it certainly didn't need all that, aesthetically speaking :D That yellowed white body binding is beautiful.

16. +1. I like the white PG. Maybe try a white pearloid one.

17. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i think that is the best looking ric i have ever seen, but i prefer the clear pickup surround like it was in the first modded version.

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Hey, I see you're in Denton. We drove past/near Denton on the way to a gig in Oklahoma City Saturday.

19. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Now that's funny... I'll be going through OKC on my way to Wichita tomorrow!

20. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I love Ric's! Unless someone has completely screwed one up with mods I think they are one of the classiest, coolest looking basses out there. Great job on the mods but I like the original white pick guard better. The white pops the fireglow more for me where as the black almost tames it down. I am one of the people who also likes the big chrome pick up covers.

Just my 2 cents. But Rics rock!:hyper: