I need British culinary help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    As I said, when made properly.

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    the fish sounds like whitebait - deep fried in batter, delicious.

scotch eggs can range from amazing – perfectly cooked egg, light crisp breadcrumbs – to horrible processed crud :ninja:

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    oh yeah? well I've got two words for you: Guy Fieri.

:p

Oddly and 47th Street like this.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To many people, the phrase "British culinary help" is an oxymoron.

Guy Fieri was born in Ohio, grew up in California, studied cuisine in France. I've had lunch at the place in Vegas that bears his name, and it was quite good. Not British at all, ol' chap.

knumbskull and 47th Street like this.
  5. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    And yet the TV networks are giving British chefs TV shows all the time!
    Gordon Ramsay has three Michelin stars (although I'm more a fan of his mentor/nemesis Marco Pierre White).
    Yearly income of $38 Million worldwide, and still the top earning chef on US TV by a wide margin.

Must be something there. It can't all be bad.

MCF, cronker and 47th Street like this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    General squeamishness and lack of just a little bit of courage is holding back a lot of people from enjoying some really amazing food.

7. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My Scottish grandmother's cooking was enough for me. (She sometimes made Clootie Dumpling, so named (in my mind at least) because of the arterial clots it was sure to cause due to containing quantities of suet and being covered in a sugar hard sauce.) I'm now a vegetarian, probably in part as a defensive reaction.

As for squeamishness, the one thing that really inspired that in me was when our former salesman at my job, who was from England, described in detail the time he ordered jugged hare in a restaurant back home. (He was taking advantage of being on an expense account. He regretted it.)

8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    OMG I LOVE bubble and squeak....with ketchup or brown sauce

I can get good mushy peas here in Toronto at my Fish n chips restaurant

-Asdfgh- and knumbskull like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I eat all kinds of weird stuff. Bubble and Squeak isn't weird stuff. It's flavorless unless you include salt. Then it's salty slime. Give me all kinds of seaweed instead. That's better.

10. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Ludefisk is kinda like that but it's disgusting without butter. Flavorless without butter would be fine. But once you slather on that fatty goodness it becomes delicious...as long as you don't inhale while you're taking a bite.

Gaolee and 47th Street like this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Escargot is a bit like that. It's all about the butter and garlic.

12. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I always dug The Two Fat Ladies when they were alive. They cooked all kinds of cool British food, and they were quite entertaining while doing it.

47th Street likes this.
  13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I meant he was the alternative to Brit food... Which being serious i know he's not, as there's plenty of good food in America.

Mainly it's the sunglasses on the back of the neck that does it.

EDIT glad to hear your lunch was good!

47th Street likes this.
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Much happiness here! We were glad that the restaurant upheld our expectations.

Fieri was here in Fort Collins last year and featured a small place - unfortunately it closed a couple of months later. Win some, lose some.

knumbskull likes this.
  15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    bubble and squeak should be fried until crispy...It's only mash potato and cabbage formed into fried pancakes
    Add salt and pepper....and some delicious ketchup or HP sauce...mmmmmmmmmmm

16. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I'd heard for years that British food wasn't good, but that all changed when I visited there 4 years ago. I don't think I had a bad meal while I was there. My fave was probably the proper English breakfast at the Regency Cafe near Westminster Abbey. Perfectly cooked eggs, beans, toast, sausages, and blood pudding. It was exactly what I pictured in my mind as the "real thing." And sadly, not available anywhere near me that I'm aware of.

murphy likes this.
  17. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    English cuisine has come a LONG way in recent years, especially in the multicultural fields.
    As a hint, if you are interested in Scotch Eggs, try them using quail eggs instead of chicken. By the time you put on the ground meat and crumbing, they get quite stodgy and heavy.
    Quail eggs keep them smaller and less dense.
    Fried whitebait is delicious, and you can use white anchovy too.

Tom Bomb and TUEP like this.
  18. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Don't knock mushy peas until you've had them with fish & chips. (On their own they taste of nothing, but as an accompaniment they're great). I had them just tonight from my local South London chip shop.

Also we cover fish and chips in malt vinegar, which is a peculiar thing that everyone here loves, and the rest of the planet finds repugnant. In addition to that we cover fish and chips in Sriracha, which is not an english thing at all but it's my half-asian girlfriend's secret ingredient, makes the whole thing very tasty.

Also keep in mind fish and chips is really bad for you. But it's the best winter food ever.

RED J and TUEP like this.
  19. Nah, ypu got that all backwards. The British need help with cuisine.

Old joke about this n that:

In Heaven the Brits are the police, Germans the mechanics and the French are the chefs. Hell has the German Police, French mechanics and Brit chefs.

Oddly likes this.
  20. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play

just boil or deep fry every thing to death and you will be there

knumbskull likes this.