I thought so.. Nate Phillips' on "Glide"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Feb 13, 2006.

1. Bobbo 77'

Bobbo 77' Guest

Jul 13, 2004
    Iron River, Mich
    Hey Y'all,
    Just got this month's "BassPlayer" and read an article with Pleasures' Nate Phillips on page 79-80. And he talks about "Glide"

"Everybody asks me how I got that tone" say Nate. " I used my 70's Fender Jazz, which has a maple fingerboard with block inlays. I remember putting a fresh set of Rotosound roundwounds on right before doing that take"

Now, I thought I was going DEEF, but as a Bass player who started on a 77' jazz, that tone is incoded in my DNA! Fellow T.Ber's seen him live with THAT other funk machine, a Music Man stingray, but that recorded cut of "Glide" is all 70's Fender Funk bass!

Keep on Funkin',

Bobbo 77'

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Cool!

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm looking forward to getting that new issue of BP! I wish I still had the Pleasure greatest hits CD. I know how "Glide" goes, but I just can't recall the tone in my mind.

4. Ari

Ari Guest

Dec 6, 2001
    Thanks for the insight! Some guy told me it was made on a stingray but I always found the tone of this tune not very stingray-like...

Nathaniel Philips is definitely one of my favorite players! :bassist:

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I got my issue as well. I was surprised to find out it was a Jazz after all! The recording is extremely clean and so un-jazz sounding to my ears!

6. seebee

seebee

Dec 17, 2004
    Philadelphia,Pa
    My all time favorite Bass track the ultimate in feel and tone.

7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Endorsing artist- Suhr basses, PedalTrain, GHS, Ultimate Ears
    HA!!!!
    The guys at Low Down Sound are gonna crap themselves this month!!!

"Glide" is out-lawed there 'cause everyone always plays it (Like "Stairway to Heaven" in Waynes World).

I LOVE that tune.

"Car won't start, out of gas...."

YEAH!!!!!

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    When I got to see him he had both,and then I saw him with Ronnie Laws a couple of years later........ same thing.

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    :D :D :D dude you are too much(lol) !

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually, I remember seeing he jazz o0n stage with him, but he played the Stingray. I recently secured a copy of "Glide," and it is definitely not a Stingray. That is still one great song to play. Sorry Mike Bass, if I ever go to Lowdownsound, those guys will just have to cuss me out!:D

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Endorsing artist- Suhr basses, PedalTrain, GHS, Ultimate Ears

I tell my wife, "Baby, it's Low Down or the bar, you pick!"
    Problem is, the bar would be a whole lot cheaper!!!

And I spend more time at the one light waiting for it to turn green, than it actually takes me to drive there, if I didn't have the light!

12. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    WOW, and passive even? Man thats just insane!! By the way, I only know two people who play GLIDE correctly....and one of 'ems Nate.;)