Ibanez GSR200 with 3 knobs ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassion, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bassion

bassion Guest

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi all,

Is the GSR200 with 3 knobs, an older model?

does it have the Phat II EQ? (being the 'active' type?)

thanks for your help

2. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I think the older GSR 200 models did not have the Phat II bass boost. Pretty sure that they were just passive. I have one of the newer ones that has the boost.

Does the one in question have a battery compartment? I guess that would be the tell all.

3. bassion

bassion Guest

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure about the battery. Will check it later, but say, what if it's the GSR200 without the Phat II bass boost? for a beginner, will that matter? will it still have the better pups, comparing, for example, to the GSR190?
    (the bottom line at this time is....the bottom line...meaning not spending to much to start with.)
    thanks much

4. I have that model, in fact, it was my first bass. If I remember correctly, it is the pj config. It is NOT active. There is a volume control for each pup and a tone control.

5. bassion

bassion Guest

Jul 29, 2009
    brndn123 - yes it's the pj config. is it a good bass (the passive)? at least as a starter?

thanks

6. Jmac66

Jmac66 Guest

Aug 2, 2011
    Ellenboro, NC
    I used to have one of these as well, a 2003. Passive p/j pups. Would still be fine for a beginner, the amp should have all eq you'd ever need anyway

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The phat EQ blows phat turds in my experience. I'd much rather have had the passive version;)

8. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    + 1
    Very much agree with this statement. The Phat II is a cheap sounding embellishment. Better to have the strictly passive bassl.

9. bassion

bassion Guest

Jul 29, 2009
    got the bass guys! looks and sounds great. Thanks much for all your input.