Ibanez Prestige Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flon_klar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    I'm hoping one of you Prestige owners would do me a little favor. I've heard about how slim these necks are, and I'm interested in how they compare to other bass necks. If some one gets a second, would you mind posting the thickness of the neck at the 1st and 12th frets? Thanks, I appreciate it.

2. steve21

steve21 Inactive

I've only played a BTB1206 and it was too long ago to really remember, but let me say this, my SR506 (little brother to the Prestige SR1006) has an extremely thin neck profile.

3. Ibanez's "Prestige" moniker isn't so much a description of one particular type of neck as it their term for upper-end instruments that are Japanese-built, have gone through additional layers of Quality Control (especially regarding fretwork) and generally their top-o'-the-line instruments, not typically their highest SR and BTB models.

For instance, the neck on my Prestige RKB 900 (passive P/J bass with a super-comfy in-between P and J-sized necks) is difference than the neck on a SR-1000 (typical Ibanez thin neck) is different than the neck on a BTB-1204 (wider asymmetrical profile). Ibanez uses the term all over the place, and incorrectly in most spots, but it's a term describing overall build quality than one specific feature.

4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen Guest

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I have the sr1006 prestige, and the neck is one of the most comfortable I've ever played. it's 7/8" at the first fret and 15/16" at the 12th fret. This is my favorite neck I've ever played and inlay and fretwork is excellent. These are definately Ibanez's best work. Do I think it was worth the 1500 I spent on it? Yah! would I buy another one, let's say a 4 string, in the future, probably. everything on this bass is amazing and you'll end up with an excellent bass for the money.

Samash has limited edition ones, and they stopped making mine (I think I'm one of the only, or the only one on TB that has one of these) so I'd get the zebrano tops asap

Greg

5. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, especially to Greg for posting the specs. Bassists rule!!

6. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen Guest

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    heh, no problem man. Anything to help out a fellow bassist, especially when I stand strongly behind a brand tht I really like. Good luck.

Greg

7. steve21

steve21 Inactive

I won't say anything about the basses, but an Ibanez Wizard II (guitar) neck and an Ibanez Prestige Wizard II (guitar) neck feel pretty different. It's not just the better Japanese QC, it's the overall feel of it. I'd warrant a safe guess that the 1006 has a better feel than my (already awesome) 506 neck.