Jag Bass Scale Length Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tomdude182, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tomdude182

Tomdude182

Jun 26, 2016
    Hey guys

Just trying to wrap my head around scale lengths etc. before I start buying bits for a project.

My plan is to buy a Squier VM Short Scale Jaguar bass but then change the neck out with one that has a maple fretboard.

I know that the jag SS bass has a scale length of 30 inches and have found this neck on eBay that also has a 30' scale length but has a different number of frets. How likely is it that this neck will fit a VM jag SS body without having to move the bridge?

Thanks in advance!!

2. There are two things (at least) that you need to be concerned with:
    1) how long the neck route is in the body you want to use. If it's too long (i.e. the heel of the neck goes too deep into the body) then your bridge will be too close (or vice versa).
    2) the dimensions of the neck heel need to be the same as the route in your body, otherwise the neck won't fit at all.

It's possible it will swap right in, but likely it won't. I see they give the dimensions on the neck, so you should be able to measure and see if it will fit. However it's pretty hard to figure out where it is meant to be fixed to the body from those dimensions.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    If the replacement neck is the same scale length, but has more frets, then no, it will not fit without modifications. You'll have to either rout the neck pocket longer or move the bridge.