John Entwistle - 'staved' amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I listened to an interview with John Entwistle on the King Biscuit Live CD, at one point when discussing his gear he says he would run two Sunn amps, 'staved into to one another to make them distort'.

Does anyone know what he means by this? It was a pretty awesome tone he was getting.

2. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Could he have said "slaved"?

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    It was a typo. Staving your amps would render them useless. Even I know that... :p

4. He could well have done. His voice was pretty much indecipherable by the time he did the interview. :D

5. grenadilla

grenadilla Guest

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    The line out was so strong that the next amp was overloaded at the input, thus "staved".Who's next?

6. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift Guest

Mar 12, 2012
    I'm assuming he said "slaved", as Sunn amps were commonly used as slave power amps. Slaving is basically running the preamp of a head (called the master) into a separate power amp (called a slave). This would essentially add extra power and allow you to use more cabs.

7. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Maybe he meant deliberately damaging (slicing) the speaker cone so it would distort. Apparently that was a practised in the early days when amps did not produce enough distortion on it's own. Wasn't The Who famous for destroying their equipment on stage?

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Pete was, and Keith...

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I wonder if cascaded would be the right word...

10. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Back when, all power amps were called slaves. You'd have a basic amp, say a mixer amp for P.A. and add slaves and speakers to increase the wattage. The first 1000w P.A. that I saw / heard, was The Who's, a 5 channel Wem Audiomaster mixer, yes a whole 5 channels, driving 10, 100w Wem slaves all stacked on top of each other in a tower. The slaves were driving Townsend's old and smashed cabinets, 16 per side.

11. RickC

RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    Typo. He meant his amps were "Steved", as in modified by noted London underground amp tech Sir Reginald Steve Chesterbottom

;)

12. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    As always, you are the witty gent!

13. If we go with the verb form of the word, it was Pete who did all the staving, as seen at the end of this vid:

14. maybe he meant hee was running the line out into the inst level in. That will distort for sure.
    I've heard of some bands running SPEAKER level out into the inst level input.
    But I understand it was for recording and would blow the amp in about 20 minutes.

15. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm glad they have pedals for that now.