L' Orchestre d' Contrabasse?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Diezel420, Aug 16, 2001.

1. I'm mainly an electric player, but let me speak!

I was reading Double Bassist in the bookstore a while ago, and I read this really interesting story on a group of French performance artists/double bassists who (I THINK) were called L' Orchestre d' Contrabasse (I could be wrong). I was just wondering where I could find a recording of these guys, for I have yet to hear them.

What do you guys think of them? And tell me (please) if I got their name wrong, b/c I probably did.

Thanks!!!!!!

2. Stefan Boeters

Stefan Boeters Guest

Nov 3, 2000
    Mannheim, Germany
    To be precise: It's "L'Orchestre de Contrebasses". At Amazon.fr, I can find two CDs of theirs -- but if I remember correctly, there are considerably more recordings. At Amazon.com, unfortunately, you can't find anything.

I attended a live performance of L'Orchestre de Contrebasses last year at a small Jazz festival at St. Wendel (Saarland, Germany). It actually was fun to look at and listen to them. It's amazing what kinds of different sounds they are able to produce. And their stage performance is quiet eventful.

Maybe I should add that I think this orchestra is mostly of interest for those of us who play the double bass themselves -- or at a live performance. The music, seen for itself, might be somewhat straining. To be honest: I wouldn't invite a non-bass-playing friend to listening together to one of the CDs. But at the festival, it was fun even for the non-bassists.

Stefan

3. Personnaly I find l'orchsetre de contrebasse very musical and i Own one dc of them (very hard to Find) and I invite my guitarist friend and other to listen and the reaction was always Hey I want this can you burn me a copy?
    Les cargos was very musical the intonation is perfect theb song are varied it's one of my favorites cd.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    By chance I saw bits of a concert on TV, it was part music and part "theater" or "musical pantomime" where they told small stories illustrated by their playing. They were really amazing, making all sorts of noises and sounds on their basses, as well as some great music.