LaBella Hofner Beatle Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meursault42, Jan 5, 2013.

1. FranF

FranF

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Wow...

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Possibly. But I didn't add a link.

3. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I have Pyramid Gold flats on my Hofner. The best flats ever.

4. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Black.

Attached Files:

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Got a set of Pyramids for my Höfner, not because I didn't like the LaBellas, I just need to have some backup strings.

So I put on the Pyramids, and first impression is that they are a bit more lively than the LaBellas. For some reason the LaBellas seemed to have more clarity in the lows to my ear. Tension feels similar, both are smooth as silk, the Pyramids perhaps a tad smoother.

Things might change a bit after the Pyramids settle in properly, but I am tempted to say that these are both excellent strings, and equally great. Either works very well on a Beatle bass, no need to "upgrade" to the other whether you have LaBellas or Pyramids.

For most people I believe LaBellas cost less, in my case they're about the same.

FWIW. :)

6. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    That makes sense, and tracks with what I've heard regarding the LaBellas, primarily that the E-string has more clarity and sustain. I've still yet to try them though. Thanks for the info 4-string!

7. jimtone

jimtone Guest

Feb 23, 2012
    Are there any posts with photo documentation about modification of the controls (switchs and pots) on B Bass Hi-Series or Icon to make them similar to the originals from the 60s?

8. Try the Hofner Hounds website for control plate modifications questions.

9. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Back on topic with the LaBella Hofner string set. I did finally give these a try and I'm sorry to say that my initial impressions haven't been all that good. For those just tuning in, I'm comparing these to the Pyramids.

I disagree with those who have said that the LaBellas and the Pyramids are similar. To me they're worlds apart, both in sound and feel. Now I should stop right here and preface this by saying that my LaBella set is not broken in yet. So I realize that there will be some adjustment that will happen. But compared to a new set of Pyramids, with which I have recent experience (albeit on a different bass), the LaBellas are more metallic sounding, they have a more "scooped" tone profile, they are higher tension, and paradoxically more aggressive despite the scooped sound, especially with a plectrum. I trust that much of this will be tamed a bit once they have time to break in. The dead E-string issue that happens with the Pryamids is pretty much gone, which is a good thing. However, to me I'm not sure if the trade off in tone and feel is worth it. Gonna give this set a few more weeks to convince me otherwise, and then I'll be going back to my green-silk-wrapped beauties.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It doesn't have to be foam if you're concerned about how it looks or if it will interact with the finish - you can use a strip of felt woven between the strings. Take your bass to a hobby shop and you can usually match the color of the silk on the strings.

11. I very much agree with your comparison between the Labella and Pyramid strings. If I go with flats it's Pyramid; if I go with Roundswounds, it's T-I Jazz Roundwounds on a Hofner.

The Pyramid Gold Flats give the classic Hofner sound. They feel beautiful to play and last a very long time. Their initial high price is made up for over their long life.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Kind of feeling the same way. I only like LaBellas on my Realistic violin bass, and on no other basses for that reason. However, I'm starting to think I liked it better when I had D'addario Halfrounds on it, so I'm going to try Chromes.

Yes, i know...Pyramids...whatever. Already got burned with a set of TI's so I won't be trying the high dollar strings anymore, and thank you to everyone for not making a federal case out of it in advance.

:D

13. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Jimmy, in all of my string swapping madness, I've actually ended up with an extra set of Pyramids. I had planned to keep them around as a backup set, or in case I happened to come into the possession of another short scale hollowbody. But that seems unlikely at this point, so if you're interested in buying a set used feel free to drop me a line.

14. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Switched back to the Pyramids after a month or so trying the LaBellas. Pyramids are just so much better for this instrument (Club Bass). Really the only drawback is the lack of E-string focus. But for me, I've gotta just learn to live with that, because the Pyramids really allow this bass to have it's own voice. The LaBellas were perhaps more viable for fingerstyle. But with the short scale hollowbodies, I really prefer pickstyle anyway.