Lakland DJ4 GAS thwarted, arghhhhh!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I finally gave in to my acute case of GAS for a Lakland DJ4 late yesterday afternoon. I had swapped numerous emails with Grasshopper at Bass Central and finally broke down and called to plunk down the ol' Visa card for the bass. All the transaction details were worked out and I hung up the phone with a nice warm feeling in my heart. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Grasshopper called back with the bad news. The bass I wanted had been sold and their inventory sheet had not been updated to show that it was no longer available. It was an honest mistake and I hold no grudge against the guys at Bass Central at all. The main issue is that I REALLY wanted a candy apple red DJ4, which is a now discontinued color. That was the last red one they had in stock. :bawl: They do have a Lake Placid Blue one in stock, and I am considering it, but that red had touched me deeply. Plus I already own a blue Jazz bass with a rosewood neck, so I'm not sure I want another one so close in appearance.

Sigh. I plan to pontificate this perplexing position over a few beers this weekend to decide what to do. Any advice?

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Get a black or white one. They're gorgeous.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Dan said.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    That red one is a beaut....

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Well, I already have a Fender Geddy Lee and a white Jazz with an unlined fretless Ebonal board. Man, I really wanted that red one. Sheesh, why did I wait so long to pull the trigger? :rolleyes: :rollno: :mad:

6. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson Guest

Sep 8, 2004
    Go with black and get a black pickguard. I will be great. Someone has to have a picture of a black on black DJ.

7. Just buy a white one and a couple of cans of candy apple red spray paint from the auto parts store and you'll be good to go! :D ;)

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Get a chrome red Fender American Series Jazz, and drop in some Aero pickups. You won't get the block inlays or binding on the neck, but it will be real close otherwise. My chrome red J is my number one, and it's gorgeous.

9. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Mmm..espically with a tort pickguard.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Another idea: get Nino Valenti to build something like the red DJ. Then you could get an ebony fretboard, which would be sweet.

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

{ ...get the white one ...:D }

Attached Files:

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    *drool*

+1

13. SteveC

SteveC Gold Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I really like the white ones. I played one and almost took it home.

14. Get the white one. Take no prisoners in your relentless GAS-destruction campaign.

15. There's a sweet red Lakland Bob Glaub (P-bass), color also discontinued, on ebay right now. It didn't sell last time the guy put it up (got up to about $450 but didn't meet reserve), but I really wanted it.

Candy Apple Red Lakland Glaub

It's not a DJ, but it's a pretty great bass in its own right -- best P-bass available for the $$$, IMO. Unfortunately, I just got a DJ5 (black) a few months ago, so I had to swallow my pride while my wife instead ordered a $5000 custom set of french patio doors. :spit: :bawl: :bawl:

I can't complain; she let me get the DJ5, then bought me a Tacoma for Father's Day.

I hope the bass goes to someone nice. :(

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Keep searching....You are bound to find a red one out there somewhere......bassnw or??
    good luck
    Murphy :cool:

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Ohhhh craaap...I don't have enough money to be lookin at pictures like this... :eek: :(

18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I just saw a candy red rosewood JO5 on bassgear.com??

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I must admit when LDS had that Candy Apple Red DJ 4, I had a soft-spot for it. I kept thinking about calling BassNW on that one. I'm glad someone finally bought it. Saved me some money! I love CAR Jazz basses with matching headstocks!

20. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Ressurecting this old thread. I gave in to the GAS yet again, and decided that a Lake Placid Blue DJ4 would be just the ticket. Except this time I was thwarted in a more cruel and inhumane manner.

It took me an hour on the web to find a Lakland dealer with a LPB bass in stock. Called them, got a price and details, and told them I would sleep on it. I called back the next day at opening time, credit card in hand, ready to pull the trigger. Of course, someone had come in the store later the previous evening, after I had called, and bought the bass on the spot.

So I'm resigned to ordering one from Lakland, except they don't have a projected availability date for the LPB. It will likely be suimmer before a shipment of them comes in. If anyone knows of a dealer with a LPB DJ4 in stock, send me a lead and I'll make it worth your while.

Suffering in GAS-land.......