Live Rig help?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Dec 19, 2005.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Whats up everyone. Well as of now i use an Ernie Ball stingray and SWR 750 head and SWR 6X10 cab. i also have a BBE sonic maximizer, MXR M-80 DI. I am just trying to see if anyone can offer me some advice on anything else that may either beef up my rig or help balance it some. Can anyone provide some advice on this?

2. What aren't you getting by just plugging your bass straight into your amp and cabinet (with no extra stuff in the signal chain (even the effects loop))?

SWR manuals usually offer some setting suggestions...perhaps trying those will help you find what you want.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I also have a Bass 750. I was using a Golliath II and a Big Ben. I got rid of both of the SWR and picked up a Schroeder Mini-12 (to replace the Big Ben) and a 1212 (to replace the Golliath). I get so many compliments as to the fullness of my sound now. The big problem with SWR is the Tweeter. I could never really adjust it to where it sounded good. I had been a completely faithful SWR man since 1987. But when I heard the Schroeders, it was a whole new ball game.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Boy, with 750 watts and six tens, you'd think that the only reason you'd need to "beef it up" is if you were playing Madison Square Garden.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you just looking to spend money on your rig?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Even if you were playing MSG, that should be plenty unless you're in AC/DC.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    CRANK the mids. SWR's are notoriously scooped.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Maybe SWR just isnt the right sound for what you want. I recently switched a Goliath III out of my rig for an Avatar pro (and get way better live sound, far as I can tell).

6x10 should get the job done. I heard that once you get into the range of SWR 6x10-8x10 cabs they start producing deeper low end.

Try an Ampeg 6x10 and see if that is more what you are looking for.

8. I recently switched from a Goliath Sr. to a Schroeder 410. Best gear move I've ever made. It weighs 37 pounds less but sounds like it's 3,700 pounds heavier. Follow my lead, and your troubles will be over.

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Same similar route I took. The Schroeders fattened up my sound a hugh amount.

10. toddtodd

toddtodd Guest

Jan 7, 2005
    Riverside Ca 92504
    +1

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I don't think it is just a Shroeder thing. Go to ANY high quality cab that is not voiced like an SWR, and your tone should fatten up immensly. Eden, Aguilar, Bergantono, EA, etc.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Cheeze speaks the truth. Through my Tube Works Dave LaRue 4 x 10", my SM-500 sounds great. Through a Goliath 4 x 10", it's so ridiculously scooped, even with the horn turned off, that I have to boost the mids and turn the treble response down to an extreme level.

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I can agree with that, but I am a big fan of Schroeder cabinets and I have the same amp. I went from a complete SWR system. By changing specifically to the Schroeders, I accomplished what he is trying to do. That is the main reason I speak of the Schroeders.

14. I for one like SWR cabs and hate their heads. Maybe using a SWR head and cab is just too much SWR for a rig? :smug:

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Maybe a 2-channel compressor? You could adjust the settings to allow you to get more headroom.

I was fiddling with one of my rigs recently (Eden Navigator->Carvin FET1000) by adding a BBE 411 sonic maximizer and it actually detracted from my tone. Sometimes, simple is better.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Agree 100 percent on the Sonic Maximizer. They are wonderful for small amps/rigs, but for a bigger rig, they ad nothing, or detract from the sound.

17. True, to a degree. I've owned and used Eden (D-410XLT) and Aguilar (GS210 + GS212) cabs, and my Schroeder 410 sounds bigger, fatter and tighter, while also being smaller and lighter. It's just an unbeatable combination of features.
    OK, enough about Schroeder! Sorry. I've been assimilated. I really am hard pressed to think of a single piece of gear I've owned that I would recommend more.

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    :hyper: I think that for a fatter sound than the 6x10 SWR, you would really have to move away from the SWR tweeters. They flat out suck.

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'll chime in on dropping the bbe,
    isn't the aural enhancer circuit in the swr stuff essentially the same thing?
    d