mA???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 22w1st3d, Jun 23, 2007.

1. 22w1st3d

22w1st3d Guest

May 21, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    i need electrical help because i am n00b.

my 9v adapter for my digitech stompbox has just broken, the wire to the pedal was severed thanx to my dog >.<

now i have an audition 2moz morning and i have no power supply for my pedal!!!!

i got a spare adapter from my cd player which is a 9v, but it says an output of 500mA? and upon reading my pedal it says use 300mA?

im a tad desperate and i dont know if it safe to use together, will anything bad happen if i use tthem?

any help appreciated!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    The rating on the power adapter is a maximum. You should be able to use it with only a 300mA load. I use a 1300mA adapter on a unit that's only 800mA all the time with no issues.

Electrical experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but it works for me.

One important thing is making sure the polarity is the same or else you can blow the circuit. You know that little tip/ring diagram near the power source jack?

3. well, here's tho lowdown:

Firstly, unless your 500mA adaptor has the word "REGULATED" on it somewhere, I wouldn't risk it, because if it's unregulated, it just pumps out 500mA at all times. But if it is regulated, it will just give out what the appliance it's powering needs, anything up to 500mA.

As for polarity, on your pedal (next to the power input) it will have a symbol that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    meaning it has a positive polarity,

Or this:
    [​IMG]
    meaning it has a negative polarity.

There will also also be a symbol on the power adaptor, if the symbols are the same, then it is safe to use the adaptor with the pedal. If not, don't even plug it in!

so, to recap: if your power supply has the word "regulated" and a symbol matching the one one your pedal, it's safe to use. If not, I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new adaptor, or go to your audition without effects.

4. Gadolinium

Gadolinium Guest

Feb 3, 2007
    Wiltshire UK
    Batteries?

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Oh yeah... that too! That's good to know.