Making a hat fit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Jul 3, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    I have a VERY small head, which is shaved bald- that doesn't help.

I just bought an AWESOME fedora, but it's about a half inch or so too big around for my head. It would probably fit with a bandana under it, but I'd rather not do that.

I was trying to configure some sort of system where I could put a square of fabic with some velcro or something on each side of it, and then it would fit snug, and not slide around.

Or a similar system with a headband or something.

Any ideas? I must wear a fedora!!! :hyper:

Thanks!

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Why don't you take it back and swap it for one that's the right size?

3. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
  4. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Because I ordered it from a website, and got the smallest size they had :scowl:

5. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    J-Actionville, NC
    I got afew nice stetsons from my grandfather recently and they are a trifle large. I tuck some of rolled up tissue behind the sweatband. It shouldn't take many, just roll them up and tuck them in there. Discreet and adds a little cushion. IT will help hold it on too, since you will compress the tissue around your head. SOmetimes I even do this with hats that fit, I just use a lot less tissue.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    RyRob, in the bicycle section of most department stores, they sell kids helmets. These helmets come with fabric covered, adhesive backed foam "fitting strips", made to take up room on general size helmets in the same fashion as you describe... Sometimes these strips are sold seperate, if not here, then definitely at bike shops. This is EXACTLY what you are looking for as it is purpose made for the task, in a rounabout way, and has a clean look.

I'd suggest mounting to the back as any "standoffs" off your forehead will look goofy.

7. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    J-Actionville, NC
    thats a good technique too, for all you folks with money and priviledge. FIne, don't take my hillbilly advice. I have used straw before too, you didn't see me recommending that at least.

BTW, +1 on the forehead bit. FOrgot to mention that but its defiently true, espescially for smaller brimmed hats.

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    hahahaha, sorry for my spendy fix. :p ok, get some of those ONE DOLLAR A PACK felt circles and squares that are used to put on the bottom of chair and table legs to protect floors, and adhere them equally around the inner brim (where it touches your head). You'll have to wipe the inner brim fabric liner down with alcohol to remove any skin oils or the things won't stick.

there, too spendy? :smug:;)

9. lousybassplayer

lousybassplayer Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    J-Actionville, NC
    nope, I approve :)

10. Let me get this straight? You got a Fodera, which took years and was really expensive and it doesn't even fit?

:D

11. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Yep, that's one of the first things I thought about.

Wasn't that expensive- only 30 dollars! (Okay expensive for a HAT, but a lot of fedora's are in the hundreds)

12. Assuming it has the leather band sewn around the inside of the crown, as all good hats do, then pad it out with folded newspaper.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Velcro on your head? That's awesome.

You could try a staple gun. It worked for Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. :D

-Mike

14. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Okay I set myself up for that one haha.

THE SOFT SIDE goes on your head!

Kudos on the avatar by the way, Pens fan also? :hyper:

15. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Put it on over your bicycle helmet

16. Please oh please let this be as awesome as the t-shirt shrinking thread.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Just start boasting about how great you are. Your head will grow big enough in no time.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The first thing you do before buying a good hat is to measure your head and consult a hat sizing chart - like the one here: http://www.millerhats.com/hatsize.html

If it's within 1/8 size of correct, you can put some tissue or other material behind the sweatband all around - it may even make 1/4 size dofference.

BUT - the only smart thing to do is return it and get one that fits. Do it NOW before you screw up the hat. Once you know your accurate size, you can find a lot of nice hats on Ebay that are better made than the hats of today.

Want to learn about hats? Here's the authority: The Fedora Lounge. http://thefedoralounge.com/ Visit but don't post until you figure out the vibe there.

PS: my count of good Stetsons, Borsalinos and panamas is about 30...good hats are a pleasure to wear.

19. mike_v_s

mike_v_s Guest

Up to this point, your post had a lot of promise. Then it lost momentum and fell apart.

Mike

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    no pics, no small head.