Martin Sheridan Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by E_bottom, Apr 29, 2002.

1. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Can anyone give me feedback on the Martin Sheridan Panormo Basses. From what I've heard they have a huge sound, that can rival a Hawkes. Can anyone second that? Also The other bass I am considering is the Kolstein Fendt. And I'm wondering which one has a bigger sound and projects better. Also if anyone has any pictures of this bass or a link to site that has pictures please let me know. As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Why only look at new basses?

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    why bother with old ones?

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Nickeloid is right -old basses are a bother[so are women-try and do without them] Actually new basses are a bother too. Anyone think that bother is a funny word?

I have heard good things about the Sheridan stuff but haven't seen any in person. I have experience with the Fendts' and I think they are a good value. Decently made in Europe and set up here by international luthiers.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Here's one. I play bass. All day. Every day. I have a new bass and after a year and a half of at least 5 hours a day on it, it is still waking up. Every day when I get it out of the bag it takes at least a half hour for the thing to start sounding right.

Here's another. Being the first owner of this bass I have had to deal with all kinds of setup issues, etc. that you wouldn't have to deal with with an older bass. Frustrating the situation is that the bass changes every day. I deal with it by knowing that when the thing finally does wake up completely that it'll be worth all of the effort.

Don't get me wrong. I bought this bass because it talked to me. Never had a bass do that before. I'd do it again. I'd never buy a new bass that didn't talk to me. You have to really love the instrument to deal with a new one.

In the 8-12K range, which is where I'm guessing that you are, there are a lot of choices. Why limit yourself?

6. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Why only new basses? Beacuse 1> 9K is probably the absolute most I could spend on a Bass 2> I hate amps and I need a Bass that has a HUGE, that's right a HUGE sound, something similar to a Hawks, And In order for me to find an old bass that fits that criteria I would pay a hell of a lot more than 8K 3> My dream bass would be a Hawks but since I can't afford 25K on a 100 year old Hawks 8K on a Kolstein Fendt is the best I can do. So please if you know any old bass that could give me what I want for $8,000 I would love to hear about it.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My friend Matt Hughes as a big Juzek that is a pure cannon. Shank had/has a 7/8 Romanian (we nicknamed it the 'Artillery Bass') that was obnoxiously loud and might have been within your budget. Look around.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    c.1930 5-string Juzek (now a 4 string) that I paid <$4000 for. Even on gigs that I mic, no one on the stage has ever needed a monitor.:cool: I heard of another Juzek in Dallas that wasn't pretty but was quite a cannon. I'm not gonna say the price because I'm trying to talk a (serious) high school student's parents into helping him get it, but it is way below your price range. I got my teacher an old unlabeled Bohemian bass from my college for ~$3500 that we call the "Little Monster". He has taken to using it rather than his Pollman when he needs volume. Deals are out there, but they aren't going to be easy to find. Look for players in your area, and ask around. You would be suprised at how many symphony guys have another bass in their closet they never play that they really don't know the value, because they paid $200 for it in the '60's.

Monte

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Don Mundy's bass, right? If so, I've seen this bass, and got to fart around on it for a few minutes last year. The beast is aptly named. You're joking about the price, right?...PLEASE tell me you're joking about the price.

10. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Well needless to say I'd be forever greatful for any leads or help in this department.

11. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I wish I was. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it for me, but Laura would have noticed another bass in the house:rolleyes: . That was the bass I learned on in college. I convinced the school that they needed to sell it after finding out no one was playing it. It was in a storage locker with cracks opened up, etc. They sold it for that because that was what the luthier they took it to said it was worth. Robertsons in Albuquerque, who did the original restoration on it, said it was worth more than twice that.

Actually, in cash he paid a lot less. He gave them a Kay cello (they needed a beater for method classes) and a 40's plywood Pfretschner bass + some cash. He definitely came out ahead.

Monte

12. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So a guy posts a question about Sheridan and Kolstein basses. He gets a bunch of information about neither. There is some great stuff, so far, about possible used basses. WONDERFUL!
    But, does anybody have any direct experience with the aforementioned makers?

Jeffbullback is super right- stay away from women. And never pet a burning dog.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Read the thread more closely.

14. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Ed you make good sense. Since RW's been out of town for a month I really had allot of time to pick his brain on the subject. Also I'm the kind of person that always over analizes and second guesses evertyhing so it's just my nature to guestion EVERYTHING. No offense taken but I'm justa very complete kind of guy. I want to know everything about everything. So even though I've pretty much settled on a Fendt with Spirocores I just wanted some feedback from everyone on that subject. So just bear with me. BTW Ed who do you gig with? Do you ever play at the Up and Over Jazz Cafe?

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Man, I can relate. Today, I just purchased about $4000 worth of recording gear, but not before working with a local consultant and doing about 50 hours of research, not to mention making the poor salesman earn EVERY PENNY of his commission. Wheel spinning? Maybe, but I caught at least three bugs that would have stopped my system cold and got some better gear as a result. Ask away, I say...all we can do is to be snide and goofy when we don't know the answer, and what does that hurt?

16. E_bottom

E_bottom Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Detroit
    Thanks Chris.