MAS 16 review

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. matt holt

matt holt Gold Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    The handle on the side schleps fine, although the handle on the top is probably a little easier from a transportation standpoint, in my opinion; the extra width of the cab ever is ever so slightly awkward when going through a narrow door with the upright, and means you have to lean down ever so slightly further to pick the cab off the ground (I know Mike feels differently about this). I had mine put on the side because I sometimes use it with the Bose packlite, Which has almost no feet on it at all, an so doesn't play well with the top mounted handle. I'm also thinking that if I use my two 16s in conjunction with my 26, I may stack them on top of it with the tops of the two 16 cabs against each other, to create a makeshift 46. In that configuration, top handles would really get in the way.

I thought about maybe trying to put on some kind of nylon webbing loop handle on top of the cabinets once I get them both. I will of course post any Experiments, successful or unsuccessful.

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Would a handle on the back work? Maybe not, with the jack there. Guess it depends on the available real-estate and on how much of an issue having the handle off-center would be.

3. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I actually talked with Mike about this idea, and he discouraged it, mainly due to The potential airflow issues that having screws stick into the air column of the port would cause.

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hmm. The possibilities that occur to me then are:
    1. Recessed handle on top (would add to weight, complexity, and probably cost of a tiny cab)
    2. Handle on top and taller feet on the amp.
    3. Handle on top and a small foam pad for the amp, with a cutout for the handle.
    4. Handle on bottom, if the feet are tall enough? (Weird and, I think, a no. Let's just say "no" to this one.)
    5. A small carry bag for the cab (and amp, while we're at it).

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Well I bought mine used and it has feet on top and bottom and a handle on the top. I would prefer a recessed handle but the amp sits on the feet and it works ok. With the powered speaker I would either have the Felix on the floor or just sitting on top (push the handle flat and it sits ok.) I would not like the side handle. I do dig the cutaway and after the other night with the 16 and wizzy 10 together I am mostly convinced that I don't need to schlep a 46 (I may sell it to get another powered 16...they would make great stereo speakers when not in use as a bass cab.) I keep expecting to have a venue where the MAS16 on the floor sounds like Sheit but it never does. Only when I put it off the ground does it loose it's mojo. Having one kicked back the other night (wizzy) was a lot of volume for little bitty cabs. The Wizzy by way of comparison has a much more mid-dy ugly sound. The two together sounded damn good although I was wishing that they were both 16's. My wife said she had never heard the bass so loud in the mix before.

6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Actually a handle on the back would not be a problem. The intrusion af a couple of screws would be fine. I had talked to Matt about jacks. I prefer one, but two are likely ok. They do interfere with airflow, but to an acceptable degree. Which is why I prefer one. Most I've made have two. Recessed handles take up too much space in the driver chamber. It needs all of the air in the driver chamber that it can get. On my bigger cabs the pole mount cups are fine. On the 16--not so much--but I think that they sound ok. If someone needs a pole cup---it won't kill the sound--it just sounds a bit better without one. No problem with taller feet. The strap handles aren't very high, so a 1/2" foot would be cool. Studio Slips make a really nice padded bag for this with either a shoulder strao or two backpack straps. The can add any size pocket or make the interior big enough to accomodate an amp.

As far as the angled front--
    Most of my cabs I preferred elevated. The new Bodai cabs are good right on the floor. The little 16 needs as much bass reinforcement as it can get. It's a different MVW vortex thingamjig than my other cabs. It likes the floor. When you wedge it up--it works great to eliminate boxiness and so that you can hear the mids/highs more clearly. But you do miss a bit of floor coupling. With the slant you get the best of both worlds--

flatback likes this.
  7. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    sorry about that bit of misinformation. I must've just inferred from the Conversation about the jacks that handle screws would be a problem too:oops:

8. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Austria Vienna
    Two 16 (one with power amp) or one 26 (with power amp)? What pros and cons are there? Can I play louder with the 26 for example?

Rlowry likes this.
  9. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Austria Vienna
    .. Or a 25. 5 (with power amp)?
    Too many options ... ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  10. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I think that the 16 + powered 16 offers a ton of flexibility. First---you'll have a lot of gigs where the single 16 will suffice. Second---placement flexibility. The 16 sounds really nice on the floor. The ability to have one on the floor and the other elevated is a big plus. Two of the 16's should be about the same volume as the 26. The 26 sounds pretty good in the vertical on the floor. The 16---much better. Comparison between two 16's and a 26 elevated---very similar.

The 25.5 goes about the same volume as the 16. I think that for DB it is a shade better. Just a shade, though. The 16 is more form-factor-friendly. The 25.5 is 22 x 12 x 8. The 16 is 14 x 14 x 8. (actually a bit smaller with the front angling back.

Personally---I'd go with two of the 16's.

Kristian likes this.
  11. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Austria Vienna
    As soon as I sell my current rig...

12. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Well hurry up!

Ric Vice and Kristian like this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    MAS 4x5,
    Well folks, I have a complete system now, a fellow TB'er sold me his MAS 4x5. It will be standing alongside my Grace Designs Felix, and a Monique M700
    I've only had a little quality time with it since it arrived last night from Ithica NY. I'll be using it next week on a concert.

Ric

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  14. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    You've died and gone to heaven. Be prepared to dance with angels. ;)

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, maybe not, but it's definitely a little slice of it. ;<)

16. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I want one of these... if powered you just need a pre correct? The unpowered one just needs a bass head correct?

17. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Yup

18. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    If your patient, there have been three used MAS 4x5's in the TB Classifide's recently. They were of course, used, but mine was in excellent condition and even had a studio slips cover.

Ric

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Josh Kneisel likes this.
  19. Im personally dying waiting for my studio slips cover for my 45. I can't NOT take it out to my gigs while I wait and every little ding or snow smudge kills me a little bit inside.

Ric Vice likes this.
  20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I feel your frustration, I'm a big fan of padded covers for speakers. As luck had it, when I purchased mine from a TBer, he had already purchased a Studio Slips cover for it. I waited months for
    soft case for my Grace Designs Felix, until I found out that Grace had started selling their own covers.

Ric