Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, May 1, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Hey People! How many talkbassers on here love Medal of Honor? I love it! I'm not all that great, but its still fun. Just wondering if anyone who plays would be interested in getting together and playing some games of multiplayer sometime. If we get enough we might want to talk about forming a clan or something. JT already told me he'd be interested. Post thoughts. If anyone has a server or has a friend with a server let us know.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I liked the game pretty well, but I played the Xbox version and it's not Xbox Live enabled.

I did play 4-player split-screen tonight on a large-screen TV. It wasn't as much fun as dueling Warthogs in Halo deathmatch, but it was still very cool.

3. Medal of Honor's Helluva fun! But I only got it for PS2 and I don't have any internet compatibility for it....maybe later...

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I don't want to diss this too much, but
    if you ever read ' Iwo Jima ' by Bill Ross
    and understood what those boys who were 19 or 20 went through you would never accept the idea of a GAME named 'Medal of Honor'.

The Medal has been awarded since the Civil War
    but in the last century has symbolized heroism and valor ABOVE AND BEYOND the call of duty.

I could cry thinking of the guys who were killed that were awarded this honor, how most were awarded this medal posthumously. Many gave their lives to save their friends and fellow soldiers, many were draftees and citizen soldiers and it is a disservice to those people to commercialize it.

My opinion.

For what it's worth.

My compatriots go to Washington every day and cry at the Wall. They are no longer ashamed.

Let us not hurt them more... they still hurt inside.

5. I sympathize with you, Thorskhaus. But at the same time, I don't think the producers of the game were seriously considering the type of implications that the title of the game would have on anyone.

Also, our society is all about commercialization. For better or for worse.

6. Thor

Thanks guy. Well said, and your right on.
    I know.
    But I needed to say it
    so that these guys understand,

its not trivial

O

7. IAMERICCOCHRANE

IAMERICCOCHRANE Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Arvada, Colorado
    I played MOH:Frontline on the Playstation 2, But i havent played it on the computer. I thought I was a good game with good graphics, But im more into Battlefield 1942 for internet play. Its just sooooo fun.

8. Thor

"Even amongst the mentally handicapped, there is a clear gradation from the merely stupid to the utterly ********." - Some person
    ---------
    So, based on the above conversation,that you read,
    and your response I just read
    where would your rate yourself on this
    'gradation' between merely to utterly ?
    ;)

:rolleyes: I don't really think you got what my
    b#tch here was.

This concept offends a lot of people. It is not trivial.
    If I have to be the first guy to stand up at TB and say this bothers me a real lot, so be it.

They can name it whatever they want. This particular name really bothers me, it is enormously disrespectful to dead veterans. I can't just let that go.

I hope you understand and pass it along to the game creators. Please.

Thanks
    O

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Edit: Nevermind...

10. Thor

JM

I undestand your query, it's late and I need to
    head off,
    will PM or Post here tomorrow.
    'As with the original Medal of Honor™ game, the producers sought counsel from numerous outside sources to ensure the game is as historically authentic as possible. EALA continues to work closely with the Congressional Medal of Honor Society to ensure Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough reflects the ideals and integrity of the prestigious Medal of Honor. In addition, Capt. Dale Dye, who served as military technical advisor on the previous titles in the Medal of Honor franchise, continues his efforts with the Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough team.'

and so forth.
    this was all bought with blood.

I'll come back to you soon.
    O

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ok...well it looks like you saw my post before I edited it. I figured it might blow up but it looks like you are level headed about your position so it's cool. Why don't you PM me about it and we can talk about it there, I don't want this to turn into a huge debate...

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd dig trying this out, but i've never played it multiplayer, so i'd probably suck. still, though, i finished it, got every medal, on the hardest difficulty.

keep me posted :) MOH is a righteous righteous gaming experience. shoot, they should make people play that game in high school history class. :D

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

It does have a lot of info doesn't it? I like it myself...

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think before you complain about the potential intent of the game you should check it out. the single player version of the game is one of the most realistic things i've ever witnessed. the missions and objectives were totally patterned after the historical events. the landing at normandy in the game is one of the most intense things i've ever seen.

i agree with you - when an historical event like a war or other tragedy gets made into a movie or a game and is trivialized or oversimplified, it is an insult to those who endured the tragedy, as well as those who were lost to it. but, as is the case with medal of honor, as well as band of brothers and saving private ryan, when something is done correctly, honest and true, with accuracy and sincerity, it helps to bring to a whole new generation the truth and the reality of the experience. before private ryan, ww2 probably seemed to many folks like the "black and white" war, the oversimplified war where everyone died in an over-acted, sanitized and staged manner, because those who didn't experience it were limited to exposure only of this kind in the movies about it. after private ryan, along with the band of brothers, this exposed many folks to the true sacrifice and horror that these heroes endured.

the game brings the experience, over simplified, but still with a basis in the factual history, to kids in a way that history or even movies can't do. the kids who play these games may never (hopefully) understand the horrors, but they know about them, they have a sense of the history and of the facts.

from a game. that's a wonderful thing. the guys who put mohaa together did it right - the missions grounded in fact, the weapons, the damage, all fairly realistic - perhaps a bit too much ammo lying around here and there, but let's face it, waiting in the ardennes for the shells to stop blowing up the trees around you with two bullets in your pocket wouldn't be much fun. the way they portrayed it in the game was realistic enough for kids to get the picture. this is not your average video game - one shot most likely will take you out.

ask any kid who's played the game about the ardennes, or bastogne, or the norwegian resistance, or the storming of berlin with the russians. 14 year old kids are getting a real sense of what really happened 60 years ago, from a game.

that's amazing, imo. in one of the expansion packs, spearhead, they have poems and letters home written by guys on the front, guys who endured it. the missions in these games are based on real missions that a real individual - in spearhead it's a guy named jack barnes - experienced and endured. this guy won the medal of honor for what he did. you get to experience a simulation of that in the game. you get to hear his letters home, telling about the situation, you get to hear poems that his comrades wrote as they watched their friends die in the ardennes forrest.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, especially spearhead, imo.

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I should try the PC version...I've played all of the console versions but that sounds pretty good.

JT I think you put what you said about the game very well...much better than I would have. This was basically the point I was going to try to make to Thorskaus.

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I just got it some days ago for the PS2...

I have never learned so much about WWII!! :D

It is a MUST play in a surround sound system! also one of the best soundtracks and voice acting I have ever heard.

18. Thor

Jared, I did PM you this morning on this.

And JT, your points are all well taken, and I accept
    your point of view. I do not dispute the intrinsic value offered by this gaming experience.

The Medal of Honor is a bit of a sacred cow to me, perhaps I am just a bit too sensitive about it. I just really am irked by concepts that commercialize or trivialize in any way the sacrifices made by decorated combat veterans. I just wish they had chosen another name than MoH.

And that's really all I wanted to say.
    Thanks guys.
    OG
    -------
    TB resident codfishhead

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can understand this.

20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I completely understand the intent of your post. But, anything that serves as a reminder to people of what has gone in the past can't be all bad, right? I know people who played the game, and then went to talk to their grandfathers who were in WWII. It was the first thing that really made them aware of how easy we've got it compared to the sacrifices of those who went before us.

Or, think of it this way--
    Which is more offensive? Using the name of the Medal of Honor for a game based on WWII, or turning Pearl Harbor into a Summer Action/Soap Opera love story? :meh: