Mesa vs. SWR vs. Eden....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Duke of Prunes, Dec 11, 2001.

1. SWR

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Mesa Boogie

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Eden

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Carvin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Hey there,
    I'm kind of new to this forum, so I'm sorry if this kind of poll has been done before.
    Right now I'm playing through an SWR SM-400 and Goliath III jr. I want to get a 1x15, most likely a Son of Bertha, but I may get something else and eventually replace the rest of the stack.
    So, to get to the point, which of the above, in general, makes the best equipment. Should I stick with SWR? Should I upgrade to Eden or Mesa Boogie? Or is Carvin a good wallet-friendly alternative.
    Thank you very much for any advice you could give.
    -Cory

2. EString

EString Guest

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Each is different. As with so many things regarding music equipment, it is a matter of personal preference. People might vote in the pole according to their own preferences, but even if one brand draws the clear majority, that does not mean that you will like that same brand.

Think of it as "PC vs. Mac", "Chevy vs. Ford", "Toyota vs. Honda", "XBox vs. Gamecube vs. PS2", etc.

Each side has its adamant defenders, but there is no clear winner.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass Guest

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    duke. in the top left of your screen.. under the yellow bar that says "channels:" there is a search button... you'll be able to find a whole lot of information using that... lots of people have asked the exact same question you have....

all of the brands you listed are good quality... its not like any of them are bad.. they're just good in different ways... like Estring says... one thing i will say though, is that Carvin's speaker cabinets should be avoided... you'll find that their 15 is not that great at reproducing lows at a decent volume..

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Duke Of Prunes,

First, welcome to Talkbass! This poll has been done before here, so go and have a look at that. Since you're asking a a fair question I'll leave this thread open, but the poll in that other thread will be more informative.

5. Thanks a lot for the input, everyone. I think the best thing for me to do at this point would be to go to GC and try 'em out.

6. Deman669

Deman669 Guest

May 11, 2001
    Caldwell, ID, USA
    <I>"Thanks a lot for the input, everyone. I think the best thing for me to do at this point would be to go to GC and try 'em out."</I>

Yes! That's what I like to hear! Everyone's ears are different, you gotta hear stuff for yourself!

7. progplayer

progplayer Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    I'm a converted Eden user (well soon). I can't beleive I never tried these things out before !!! I think its because NO ONE carries them. But thanks to this board I got the info I needed and was able to try one out at a store. GC does not carry edens and I hate that company anyway so most likely they could special order it....

let your ears do the reviewing....