Mic'ing bass amp for live shows?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AlstottMVP2, Jan 31, 2008.

1. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2 Guest

May 9, 2007
    I run direct because it's what I've always done.

Do any bass players mic their bass cab? Or do the low tones dictate running direct? thanks!

2. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    It's usually the sound guy that tries to dictate DI or mic.:meh:

3. I prefer a mic by a country mile. Best option a live sound guy is likely to have is a D112, but I'll even take a 57 over a DI.

4. The best is to do both. I play bass and I run some sound too. Being a bass player 1st I'm real picky about the bass sounds I mix. I've found the best possible bass sound comes from a combination of DI and cab mic. I like a CAD E100 on the cabinet. (jmho)

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I used DI and 57 on 10" speakers for years. Love it.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  6. THB_bassman

THB_bassman Guest

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    Again, it depends on the sound guy. I don't tell them what to do.
    Most want a direct out. The last gig, I brought my old 400RB and rather than go into a direct box from the 1/4" out, then into the board, the sound man just mic'd up the 15" cab.
    From what I was told, it sounded just fine.

7. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Here's a little secret about sound guys: most of them don't care what you want your bass to sound like. They will do what ever is easiest for them (direct) and dial in the tone they want on the board.

The sound guys that work the best gigs have more of a vested interest in good tone. I was talking to the sound man for the mainstage at Sasquatch (huge festival here in WA) and he always takes a signal from both, and for good reason. Us bassists spend a lot on our cabs because we like the way they shape our tone. We spend hours dialing in the perfect tone on our rig. If the soundman takes the cabs out of the equation, he's taking part of our tone out with it.

Both is the way to go.

8. Someone needs to do a rackmountable DI that also alows to feed a mic signal, and then, mix that up... that way you send just one line to the PA.... That would be cool, but I'm dreaming...

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing.

Yep, but if it's really important to you consider carrying your own mike for the purpose. As a sound man, I never refuse anyone who's serious enough to do that, regardless of instrument.;)

10. DI & SM57 works great on my NV610!!!!!!

11. Well, it might work OK but, the purpose of using both is having the ability to taylor the mix. With both sent to the DI (bass and mic) the sound tech wouldn't have that control, you would.

12. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

+1 to that. Buy the sound guy a beer and he will be your friend. :D

13. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Ernie Ball strings
    +1 for both

Decent DI box and a 421 for the win

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Its very likely that I've misunderstood but I think the point may have been to be able to send to the sound guy an entire mix of the band, the way the band wants - it allowing FOH to amplify that mix. My concert going experience is that too many mixes feature a chest-pounding kick drum, almost inaudible bass guitar, a bit of guitar and some vocals.

15. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I would say 98% of the clubs I play go DI. I may have been mic'd up once in the past 3 years. I use a three way cab anyway, so I doubt any soundman in the world is going to put 3 mics on my cabinet, and if he's not gonna do that, I'd rather go DI.

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    :) When my rig is mic'd, I have for years put the SM57 directly in front of the center of the lowest mounted speaker about an inch or so away from the grill. Gives the sound that I personally like, although, direct has worked in some situations. It just seems to be that I lose some of the fullness when direct only. Of course, this is all subjective to the style and sound that you like to do and whether you do your own sound or not. If you don't, try and go with a wireless or something that will allow you to go out and hear what your crowd hears. Soundguys are your band's best friend or worst enemy. Many times I have heard what I knew to be good bands sound bad with a soundguy doing a poor job. Or, good soundguys can help you sound better with good mixing etc. So, unless you have your own guy that you know does it well, be carefull.

17. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    +1...For most gigs...I play small enough rooms that I don't need to run both a DI and mic the cab...but when I do, I carry my own mic...and what I am currently carrying is an Audix D6....

18. Strat

Strat

Jan 30, 2008
    If you like the way your bass speaker adds to your tone, and trust it, then do the combo like allexcosta. I do the same with the same mic (Sure SM57) centered on the cone a foot away. Ask a friend to play your bass on stage and walk back to the main board. Have the engineer do a crossfade between the DI signal and the mic. It's actually surprisingly different.

19. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I mic my cab whenever the sound guy lets me because that's how I sound for shows with no instrumental PA support and for recordings. I don't know how my amp sounds through other speakers so I'd rather have the PA reproduce the sound coming from my cab.

20. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Worcester, Mass
    Agreed, I bring a 58 and mic my old SVT, surprises a lot of the uninitiated soundmen out there.