Moog Lowpass Filter Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by permanent_ice, Jan 21, 2013.

1. permanent_ice

permanent_ice Guest

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    Hello! I need some help from Moog lowpass filter owners :bassist:
    I recently got a used Moog lowpass filter and a Moog expression pedal. The problem is - it doesn't make any envelope 'wah-wah like' sounds without expression pedal.
    I was sure that the envelope will open without expression pedal, and I'm aware that the lowpass filter is somehow defected. The seller claims that it doesn't make any autowah sounds without expression, just cuts the frequencies.
    Does it work without expression pedal? Can you advise any settings for autowah sounds if they are available, please.
    I've written an email to Moog, but I think that many people here can answer my question.
    Thank you!

2. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    It is not a great envelope filter in that sense - after all it is made as a sweep able low pass filter. To get anything like that you'll need the envelope up high (full) and a very hot signal (and the drive up high helps). Then slowly turn the cutoff knob until you find the sweet spot while playing.

Without a very hot signal you just won't get any results.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There may be a bit of a misconception as to what the Moog LPF really is. It's NOT a standard envelope filter, like a Q Tron, or any number of other brands. It is a low pass filter, that has CV control over every parameter, but not what you may have thought. Further research on your part may be helpful.

4. permanent_ice

permanent_ice Guest

Nov 22, 2011
    Moscow, RU
    pantherairsoft, thank you! Your advice was really helpful, I got the autowah tone easily