Multiple pedals controled by one expression pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OilcanRacer, Jan 9, 2010.

1. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    can one expression pedal be used to control several pedals?

and can something like a looper or mixing board be used for routing?

i am thinking the voltage with multi pedals might not work?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Just hooking it up passively would not work, and it may ruin your effects. Don't ever try it.

The reason is that all expression-controlled pedals use the expression pedal differently. Some use it as a variable resistor. Others use it as a voltage divider, sending out a voltage on one of the connections, grounding another, and getting the divided voltage back on the third connection. But there is no standard for what goes where, and no standard for what voltage should be sent.

So for example let's say you hook together a Moog filter's expression jack and another pedal that sends voltage on the sleeve. This would short one pedal's voltage to the other pedal's ground, and vice versa. Bad news. Or connect one pedal using the exp. jack as a voltage divider to another pedal using it as a variable resistor. This sends 5v into a spot where it shouldn't be, potential smoke and/or pedal death.

But, it's totally possible to make an expression pedal with multiple outs using LEDs and photocouplers. AFAIK nobody makes such a thing. The Moog MP201 is the closest.

You could also buffer the expression pedal input in some cases, but there are better options.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. if your only using 2 effects the require expression pedals you could always get 2 expression pedals and put them next to each other.. that way you can control both with one foot.

4. I have one built into a Cry Baby case with two expression outs and LED's for both sides, and the toe switch changes between the two of them (so you can not use both sides simultaneously, just saves pedalboard space). I bought it with a Moogerfooger, but the guy had made it himself.. Never really used it though because I got the MP201-- so much more than an expression pedal! You could also use a CP-251 to control multiple pedals with a single exp pedal, as it has voltage multiplier in it. It also has an attenuator and other goodies allowing you to tailor the response of the Expression lines going into each pedal, allowing you to manipulate two inputs with different response/range if desired... though neither of those are the cheapest or smallest options.

I'd shoot Mario at Robot Factory and email- he does a lot of custom work and has built a few related items to what you're looking for, ie an expression pedal built into an Ernie Ball VBjr (BigO had one made recently with a single output). If that or some other option does not work out, Id potentially sell my cry baby exp pedal, feel free to pm me if interested. You can check out Robot Factory at www.martoneaudio.com

5. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I recently aquired a Pigtronix EP-2(don't even have it in my possession) and the seller tells me I should get 2 expression pedals for it. I also have a EHX Qballs Enigma that you can use as a wah with an expression pedal. I have emailed back and forth with the seller of the EP-2 and was told that the Moog EP2(with a name like that it's gotta work right?) would work perfectly(I do believe him). Now I am curious how to figure out what expression pedal will work with certain pedals. Mostly want to know what expression pedal will work with the Enigma but still want to know what I should be looking at to figure out what will work(In the EHX forums someone said that the moog or the Maudio one should work but the thread ended there and there wasn't any confirmation that they would) and why. I'd appreciate any info.

6. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    I also just picked up a Pigtronix EP2. Sounds like the Moog and M Audio pedals would work but I went ahead and shot an email over to David Koltai. He recommended the Boss FV-500L.

fightthepower - your crybaby expression pedal sounds cool.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Mission Engineering makes an expression pedal that has an A/B switch below the toe position that lets you alternate between two effects (not simultaneously though).